Lubes (again)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nobody in my home 'cept my squeeze and me. Urchins never show up and aren't even allowed - I take drugs that compromise my immune system and aren't suppose to be around them anyway.

You old fart I just knew you had issues .... :coffee: now you made it public, damn Hanshi your getting as bad as Pete. ;) :cheers:

buck conner.jpg

"poor at keeping rust out of the bore. Its paraffin wax based." I've also heard that it's made from animal fat. There are several recipes on the I-Net that say it's 1-part bees wax and 4 or 5 parts Sweet Oil (Olive Oil) with a little bit of "Oil of Wintergreen" for a scent.

Personally, I like Bore Butter. I have not had any problems with rust. I was thinking about making my own. However, I looked at Water Pump Lubricant and Anti-Rust. The Anti-Rust ingredient is Borax! So, I'm thinking about adding it to my next batch.

BORE BUTTER RECIPE​

Ingredients:

1 lb. Natural bees wax

Approx. 4 lbs. Olive oil

About 2 teaspoons yellow food color (varies)

1/2 oz. Wintergreen oil

Procedure:
1. melt the 1 lb. of bees wax in a thick pot (Double Boiler?) slowly in about 2 or 3 lbs. of oil. Remove from heat and let it get solid. I pour it into a microwaveable container.
2. Test poke with your finger. If your finger hurts, add oil.
3. Nuke for about 2 or 3 minutes or until it all melts, and stir. Let it get solid again. Go to #2 again until your finger doesn't hurt-- about 4 lbs. of olive oil.
4. Let it cool and pour into small 1/2 lb. containers. Makes about 5-6 lbs. depending on how thick (bullets) or thin (patches) you want it.

NOTES: I have used Oil of Orange, oil of lemon, oil of spearmint and Maple flavor. I have also used Red. Shooters like it best when it looks and smells like Wintergreen, Maple flavor doesn't work because it is water based. Must be oil based flavor to work well. (1# of olive oil = 16oz.)

OR...just buy some mink oil, Hoppes BP Lube or order from Jon.

At the current price of beeswax, theres zero possible way bore butter contains a single drop of beeswax.

Been mixing my own for years, as I use the same with BPCR.

Rendered beeswax 8oz
Refined Avacado Oil 6oz
Balistal 2 oz

Once made and after lubing my BPCR bullets, I put in a Altoids tin.

Attachments

• Patch Lube.jpg
    Patch Lube.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 7
I've switched from using TOW Mink Oil to using Jon's patch lube. Mink oil was never good at preventing rust. It was great for hunting in cold weather but had no other great features.

With Jon's lube, I can not only use it in the bore but on all the exterior metal too. Another advantage of using the same lube for patches and rust preventative is when it's time to load the gun again it's not necessary to clean the lube from the bore. I just run one dry patch down the bore and then load it. Also, being a paste I don't worry about it running into the breech channel when storing the gun. It just makes for a simple system to use the same lube for everything.

I've switched from using TOW Mink Oil to using Jon's patch lube. Mink oil was never good at preventing rust. It was great for hunting in cold weather but had no other great features.

With Jon's lube, I can not only use it in the bore but on all the exterior metal too. Another advantage of using the same lube for patches and rust preventative is when it's time to load the gun again it's not necessary to clean the lube from the bore. I just run one dry patch down the bore and then load it. Also, being a paste I don't worry about it running into the breech channel when storing the gun. It just makes for a simple system to use the same lube for everything.
Good thinking Pete. Simple, clean, and quick. We do the same thing with my modern CF arms.

Latest posts

Back