Lyman Mustang Rifle Questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leapfrog

Reaction score
Just got my new Mustang today.Have yet to take it out of the box..The season is over now.Yesterday was the last day and the rifle came today..On to the question..Does anyone on here have the same rifle? I f so what are your thoughts on it? I plan to be using Goex 2F loose powder as I have plenty on hand..How do you find the accuracy with it and with what bullets are you using..Lyman claims it will shoot just about any bullet..Thanks

I've had one for about a year. Really like it, but it's no target rifle. Mine will shoot a wide range of bullets and powder charges with decent hunting accuracy (3" five-shot 100 yard groups).

I've shot 385 and 410 grain Great Plains conicals, 250 grain Lee R.E.A.L.s, and 250 & 300 grain Speer Gold Dots, 300 grain Hornady XTPs, and 300 grain .458 Remington SJHP's in about five different brands of sabots, with every powder charge from 80 grains to 120 grains of Pyrodex and Triple Seven. I can find at least one load with each of those bullets that will shoot 3" or 4" 100 yard 5-shot strings.

My absolute best load so far is the 300 grain Speer Gold Dot in a Harvester short black sabot over 100 grains T-7 FFG. This load will give me consistent 1 & 1/2" 5-shot groups at 100 yards. Average velocity is 1755 fps. I swab between shots with both sides of one damp patch and both sides of one dry patch.

Good luck with your Mustang. Give us a range report after you get some shooting under your belt.

(Add On) I see no reason you shouldn't be able to find a good load with your GOEX. I checked my records and have only fired one group from mine with GOEX (It's hard to get in my area and I'm saving what I have for my flintlock.) I shot three 245 grain Barnes Spitfires over 120 grains GOEX FFG and got a five inch 100 yard group with an average velocity of 1576 fps. Looked to have possibilities with a little load experimentation. Probably should have tried 90 grains powder instead of 120. But, as I've said, saving the real stuff for the flinter.

I don't have one, but my Dad picked one up this year. We've tried a few different loads and only 2 have worked well. We've tried 44 and 45 cal XTPs w/ 120 and 130gr 777 pellets using a Traditions sabot, and 120-130 gr 777 pellets with a 270gr 44 cal Speer GD using the Traditions sabot. All the loads we've tried went down the barrell very easily. So I'm guessing that the lack of accuracy (no less than 4-5" groups @ 50 yds) was due to blow by around the sabot. We dropped the powder charge (100gr pellets) with the same bullet and got good results. He wanted to use a heavier bullet and push it, so we tried a 270gr 44cal Speer GD with the MMP sabot. We also tried a Nosler sabot with the 270gr bullet and got the same POI @ 100yds. Both of these would create a ragged hole @ 50 yds and 2 inch groups @ 100 yds (3 shots).

One thing he's not crazy about is the trigger. There's noticeable slack before the gun goes off. When it tightens up, everything's great, but the slack drives him nuts. Otherwise, he loves it.

How do you like the magnetic breech plug? Nice feature.

Well,I got the rifle out of the box..Beautiful looking piece..Nice wood to metal fit...Got the scopes mounts installed and was going to put the scope on..Guess what? The rings that Cabelas send with the scope kit are useless..There is no way they will work with the mounts..SOB...I sent them an e mail telling them of the problem..Weather they will replace them or not is up to them..Oh well,The season is over here anyway...I will be shootin her with the open sights I guess for now,until I can get another set of rings...

It sure is a beauty,kind of makes you not want to get it dirty..First in-line I ever had.I will try to post my results later.....

I don't know what your talking about? I see nothing about a magnetic breech plug..Unless I am missing something...

leapfrog said:

I don't know what your talking about? I see nothing about a magnetic breech plug..Unless I am missing something...

My dad's mustang came with a magnetic breech plug that will hold the 209 primer even with the gun open and upside down. It's not a strong magnet, but it's just enough to hold it and to actually pull it in if you happen to let go too early.

It's advertised with the magnetic plug (Magnetized Primer Retention as Cabelas says), so if yours doesn't have one, I'd be calling someone.

nothing yet on the magnet??????????I about through dealing with cabelas anyway...

1-There was no starter kit with rifle as advertised
2-The wrong scope rings-they knew which ones were supposed to be with it-someone put the wrong ones in the box,Cableas told me to order another set..Why should I ? They should replace them free of charge.
3-They ruined a gift for someone this way-They don't seem to give a damn neither..I wish I knew the head man there..I would tell him a thing or two.

I guess i've said enough..

Back