Made a new 3 and 4 band bullet molds

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCS

Reaction score
IMG_0219w.jpg
IMG_0217w.jpg
I used the dimensions off the 51-450M1 for the 4 band and the nose of the Hydra-Con.
It has a .505 dia, wanted .503, it will work.
The three band is just one band shorter, sort of. Should be about 375-385 grain.
Hoping the 450 will shoot in my 1-28 twist.
Now to find the ambition to finish them.

Last edited:
View attachment 36933
View attachment 36934
I used the dimensions off the 51-450M1 for the 4 band and the nose of the Hydra-Con.
The three band is just one band shorter, sort of. Should be about 375-385 grain.
View attachment 36933
View attachment 36934
View attachment 36933
View attachment 36934
You can do us all a real service by casting bullets in your new mold and then measuring them carefully in, say, a week. That's to determine shrinkage with pure lead as well as 1:20 alloy (1 part tin to 20 parts pure lead), and possibly 1:10 alloy and Lyman No. 2 alloy (90 parts pure lead, 5 parts antimony, 5 parts tin - as I recall). They will shrink the most using pure lead, tho I doubt the .505 D. mold bands will shrink all the way to .503 D. using pure lead. This information is very hard to find. The mold-makers know what the percentages are but tend to keep it to themselves. 50 caliber is a useful realm for both ML and BP Cartridge loading, and I for one would be very grateful to hear your findings.
Thanks and aloha, Ka'imiloa

No plans for anything harder than 40-1, that I need to order.

The 3 band drops 345 grain. I used the 51-345M for length and the 51-450M1 for band spacing. No surprising that it is a 345.

The 4 band is 450 grain.

Also need some NASA lube to compare to powder paint.

Last edited:
No plans for anything harder than 40-1, that I need to order.

The 3 band drops 345 grain. I used the 51-345M for length and the 51-450M1 for band spacing. No surprising that it is a 345.

The 4 band is 450 grain.

Also need some NASA lube to compare to powder paint.
Respectfully said, maybe I didn't make myself clear, since many people aren't aware that cast bullets shrink and do not end up the same diameter as the mold. Pure lead shrinks the most, and if you need a specific-sized bullet (particularly important with muzzleloaders, and all the more so if they have a small amount of choke at the muzzle end), you need to create a slightly larger mold diameter. But how much?? That is that tricky question, and since you are shooting for essentially 50 caliber bullets, and apparently you are able to measure the diameter of your mold's bands and grease grooves precisely, I would be great if you could report to us the exact diameters of your pure lead and alloy bullets after perhaps a week of "shrink time". The diameter of the bands is of course the most important.
For example, if your pure lead cast bullet ends up being, say, 0.04% less diameter than the mold's diameter, that is very useful to any other at-home or shop mold maker. And if your 1:40 alloy bullets end up being, say, 0.3% less diameter than the mold, that is again very useful to others when designing their mold.
I've made one or two similar to yours, but was flying by the seat of my pants, and I was making bullets for old time BP double rifles, where bullet being oversized can be a blessing rather than a curse.
Thanks and aloha, Ka'imiloa

Ka'imiloa,​

Two days and the bullet has only shrank .0001.
But I did find out that my lee .501 size die is egg shaped.
On the 25th the bullet measured .500-.5012.
Today, .5011 is the larger diameter.
I knew the die was a little out, just didn't think it was this egg shaped.
Time for some new dies.

Shot my 1-30 twist barrel today.

Uncoated 4 band 450s.

I may have pulled #2, I will retest later.

My homemade lube is working, but it needs more testing.

BPS08282023_0001w.jpg

BPS09092023_0001w.jpg
Red powder paint, sized .50175, can be bigger.

90 grains of Goex FF

Same point of impact as the 522 grain slugs.

Latest posts

Back