Magnum Loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ram2

Reaction score
Can someone define what exactly is a "magnum load"? The reason I ask is I was looking at the latest owners manuals of several Traditions inlines on the company website, and 100g of powder (by volume) was listed as the maximum load. Can this be correct? I thought the Traditions Pursuit and Strikerfire could handle 150g of powder, and maybe the Buckstalker. Are these not "magnum" inlines? Am I missing something?

The magnum craze began years ago to attract those who think/thought that they were getting a super gun. Forget the word magnum. And consider the type of action when thinking of hot loads and the powders you'll be using. If a gun doesn't have a bolt that needs to be lifted and slid back to open the breech or if the gun doesn't break open with the barrel swinging down you're going to need to think about the powders you use carefully because the guns that have those features are the only ones safe enough to approach the 150 grain maximum. Sidelocks are definitely out of the equation with BH209. Even within a specific manufacturer you can see differing power charge recommendations between the guns they offer even if they look like another company's product that is rated higher.

Most everyday, out-of-the-box, non-custom, guns get their best accuracy when using loads well below the "magnum" or maximum level when using true black powder or a couple of the lesser substitute powders, like Pyrodex granular. The more popular subs like T7 granular and BH209 use as much as 70% less powder by both volume and weight than the real blacks or Pyro and both of these powders achieve the best accuracy and performance at levels well under their maximums. My V2 Accura is capable of handling loads of black powder up to 150 grains, T7 and BH209 up to 120 grains, all by volume, safely, however I see my best accuracy and overall performance at 110 grains by volume using the T7 granular and BH209. Regardless of what bullet/sabot combination I may use any load heavier than the 110 grain by volume and the groups open up very fast and recoil is punchier than I like for zero gain. In the winter while shooting the T7 at the club I see un-burned powder granules on the snow ahead of the shooting bench IF I shoot heavier than the 110 v grains so there's some powder waste at higher charge rates too.

Then there's the pellet race. Pellets put a strangle hold on your ability to tweak loads to get the most from whatever gun you're using. Pellets, depending on maker, can allow one to make up loads at 50, 60 or 30 grain equivalents but anything in between you're screwed out of. And a 100-grain equivalent of pellets will be less powerful than the same equivalent in granular T7 or BH powder so while you'll be spending more for the ease of dropping a couple pellets down the barrel you're getting less performance for your money.

There's a lot more to these modern muzzle loaders than most think when they enter the market for the first time and powder/charge size is just one consideration.

Back in the late 80's or early 90's, I bought a Thompson Center Black Mountain Magnum rifle. It was advertised as having 150 grain charge Magnum power.
I was all excited about it until I got to the range and discovered that with the magnum load, the gun wouldn't even hit the paper at 50 yards. I ended up finding the best load was closer to 100 grains of black powder.
Maybe some guns will shoot magnum loads ok but I sure don't have one.

I primarily shoot smokeless especially since the Black Horn insanity,, when you get into smokeless guns you'll see a lot of " Magnum loads or hot loads out there that people are shooting,, I have barrels of different tapers and different shank diameters some very capable of handling a hot load-Magnum load. I approach all my guns looking for the most practical accuracy rather than the highest velocities I can achieve. I really think Mr Tom has it Dead on! I do have rifles that I shoot Black Horn out of break open rifles cva,Patriot from Woodman etc as well as a group of traditional guns that I'm shooting some of the other subs out of,,, with all of those non-smokeless rifles I educate myself up front with what the gun can handle and I back way off of it,, if shooting a traditions break open or a Acura type rifle I'm going instantly to 70 to 75 grains by weight, 100 - 110 grains by volume, I'm probably not going to budge from there. I think the meaning of a magnum load is a load that appeals to the male ego!

I agree with with MrTom.
It’s like the bore butter hog wash.
I have never shot anything over 110 grains of powder for me there is no need to.
There’s people shooting 500 yards with powder charges under 100 grains.
It’s like pellets especially T7 people think that they are really shooting 150 grains pellets when actually they are shooting 120 grains.
Save your powder.

IMHO magnum load is just a sales pitch borrowed from the cartridge gun industry.

My Knight shotgun doesn't use 150 grains of powder, produce high MVs or long-range accuracy, but launching 1000+ grains of lead with 80-100 grains of RS from an 8 pound gun is about all the "magnum" I'll ever need . . . on both ends. :)

when it comes to muzzleloading magnum is kind of a snake oil term. just consider whatever load shoots the most accurately out of your gun to be your “magnum” load

Greg

Got back into muzzleloaders in 2000. First gun i bought was a .50 caliber CVA Stag Horn. The rifle was good with loads to 100 grains of black powder or Pyrodex. Later owned several CVA bolt action rifles good with powder loads to 150 grains.

At that time i often hunted from stands in wheat fields. My powder load was 150 grains of Pyrodex over the excellent .430 240 grain XTP bullet. One rifle preferred 150 grains of Triple Seven.

Last edited:
@Fullbore92, to be fair and complete, heavy powder charges and/or big bullets are useful, and sometimes required. Here's an example of what 150 grains (Volume) Triple Seven 2F and a 375 grain bullet can do. Shot is taken at the 1:00 minute mark . . .

For hunting game larger than deer, I have tested .52 caliber Knights with loads up to a 610 grain bullet over 150 grains (Volume) Pyro RS. I've also used 400 grain bullets over 100-130 grains (Volume) RS in CVA's Optima pistol; for backup where cartridge handguns were not allowed.

Back