Man sad day Remingtons oldest factory closes after 200 years

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When did Remmy purchase Marlin? I think you're compressing part of the history, while highlighting others.
I apologize if I sounded demeaning to my southern neighbors. I was meaning to highlight the detrement to manufacturing known as union labor, while also highlighting how manufacturing anything, especially as complex as a modern firearm, might take a little more than buying a piece of property in a more reasonable area, setting up machines, and hiring people to operate them. Experience has intrinsic value, and should translate to greater income. As an example, in my current position, I'm QA-ing work of folks who graduated from trade school 4 years ago. I graduated trade school in January of 1982, and set foot on my first ship as an electrician in Sept of '82. While these youngsters are just starting out, for me retirement is in plain view.
Again, I apologize if I came across as demeaning. Not my intention.
The only determent union labor is to manufacturing is slightly smaller paychecks and profits to contract management and preferred stockholders. Make no mistake, when a well established company pull up stakes and moves to another state it's over money, period. They don't care one bit about quality that a highly skilled work force gives you. It's all about the bottom line, bonuses, stock options, perks. The move is to feed corporate greed.

I do not see this as a sad day I see it as a chance to keep a company from completely going out of business because the politics are not conducive to keep a gun company profitable and thriving. Also as already mentioned a lot of the workers will be the same because they have and will continue to relocate south.

I do not see this as a sad day I see it as a chance to keep a company from completely going out of business because the politics are not conducive to keep a gun company profitable and thriving. Also as already mentioned a lot of the workers will be the same because they have and will continue to relocate south.
I don't know if that's the case. I think one of the reasons the company is heading south is the right to work laws in the south. I think union labor up north helped motivate the re-organized company to look elsewhere. I would think the change in rate of pay would unmotivate a lot of the labor force.
I'm a union employee. I know a lot of my coworkers would rather draw unemployment than find another job because the pay change would be significant. Not as much as when unemployment runs out, but that's a number of months off, so why worry about it now?

I don't know if that's the case. I think one of the reasons the company is heading south is the right to work laws in the south. I think union labor up north helped motivate the re-organized company to look elsewhere. I would think the change in rate of pay would unmotivate a lot of the labor force.
I'm a union employee. I know a lot of my coworkers would rather draw unemployment than find another job because the pay change would be significant. Not as much as when unemployment runs out, but that's a number of months off, so why worry about it now?
The pay issue aside the politics has changed and guns are not welcome in some areas causing companies to move and it seems to me a good reason to move

A lot of us cuss and discuss unions while we enjoy all the products they produce, maybe even are in a union. I never was, I was a State worker in a state that wouldn't allow employees to be able to unionize. We got just enough keep us off welfare and other programs, even told that trying to apply would be seen with a critical eye.

The pay issue aside the politics has changed and guns are not welcome in some areas causing companies to move and it seems to me a good reason to move
I agree. Politics are why I live where I do..fortunately my job allows me to live whereever I'd like.
I work with a gal from Alaska, and a couple of guys from Hawaii, on the Gulf Coast.

Back