Measuring BH209 With Std Reloading Measure?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelleyga

Reaction score
I know you can't dispense black powder from a std measure, like the lyman 55, but have to use a black powder version. Since BH209 appears to be nitrocellulose based, is there any reason it can't be measured with my regular reloading measures (dillon and Lyman 55)? Thanks.

kelleyga

From all that I can understand of BH it is a smokeless progressive burning powder, BUT - it is not the standard Nitro Cell type powder that we normally think of when we indicate 'smokeless' as an example T7 is really also a 'smokeless' powder.

BH was designed and engineered to mimick BP pressures and volume weight of BP. In the normal world of BP it is a hotter powder than than most real BP's (Swiss being the exception), hotter than any of the Pyro's and slightly hotter than T7.

If you want to weigh it out or throw it out by weight use a factor of .7 to caluclate the weight. So in effect a load of 100 grains of BH by volume should weigh out at close to 70 grains. A 100 grains of T7 by volume weighs out to about 77 grains of powder.

I think this is what you were asking...

Sabotloader, thanks for the response, but no, I understand the weight vs volume issue.

My concern is that reloading drum measures (esp with plastic hoppers) shouldn't be used with BP because of safety concerns (static electricity?) For ex. Lyman makes a BP version of the Model 55 that uses non-ferous parts. I just wondered if we have to be worried about the same thing using BH209. I would like to use my normal bench reloading measures to speed up throwing BH209 charges, but don't want to proceed if there is a safey issue. I guess I should send a note to the BH209 people!

I don't think its an issue; believe several guys on here are using regular powder measures. Can't give you personal experience as I weigh all of mine.

kelleyga
Called the Western co. they said no problem so I have been using my Redding powder measure to measure my loads for some months works fine very accurate. Lee

Thanks, I also sent them an email. Here is there response - no problem.

>>
Thank you for your interest in Blackhorn 209.
Yes, it is OK to use BH209 in your powder measure. We do the very same thing.

Best regards,
Don Luhr
Western Powders
>>

I will use my bench measure to throw my charges - should save some time!

I have used my Lyman 1200 electronic powder measure to dispense almost 4 jugs of the BH209 powder. I have not had any issue with it. It meters very nicely and is consistant.

Back