measuring black powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am new to the muzzle loading brotherhood. I was looking little techniques such as tapping or shaking the measure or something like that. I never know so much that I can not learn another trick or two. I trying to find a way of getting a more accurate measure from load to load. Thanks to everyone who replied. This site has a lot of nice people.

Traditionall, black powder was measured by VOLUME.

More recently, some have started measuring using weight. I think this is mostly folks using Blackhorn 209, or smokeless muzzleloaders.

Call me a curmudgeon, but I don’t like to see this. I think it presents a grave danger for the newbie, or especially the uninformed!

when I pour into my volume measurer, I always tap it down. Then if I really want to go to the extreme as far as accuracy, I'll tap down several and weigh them and take the average weight and weigh each load.

Traditionall, black powder was measured by VOLUME.

More recently, some have started measuring using weight. I think this is mostly folks using Blackhorn 209, or smokeless muzzleloaders.

Call me a curmudgeon, but I don’t like to see this. I think it presents a grave danger for the newbie, or especially the uninformed!
Can't say that C word but you might qualify for uninformed as most if not all competitions are won with weighed charges no matter the powder . Mine is real black and you use whatever suits you but volume is quik but not accurate as every one of those charges vary more than the weighed charge given a quality powder . The difference is quite dramatic as yardage increases ,perhaps not traditional as you'd like but it gets the job done and better if accuracy counts !/Ed

Thanks to all of you. This is the reason why I joined the brotherhood. I knew I could find the answers to my questions. My rifle is a Cabela's Hawkin and the barrel is rated for black powder only and max charge of 100 gr by volume. I am using a graduated volume measure. I think I will measure several charges and weigh them on my powder scale. I do not want to be in competition. I am retired and I just shoot for fun.

Sonny i hope you don't mind me asking a question in you thread , but it is related ......

what are y'alls thoughts on this ?

does it simply go back to being consistent with what ever method is used ?

I like it. This is what I was looking for and reason why I joined the brotherhood. I think it is better to ask questions BEFORE one does something stupid. I am always open to learn. I thank you for the video and that is the way I do it.

I ask the question about tapping the measure because had seen it in the internet. I am new and trying to find out how to properly load my rifle. That is all that I am after. I fully realize the rifle can be damaged and people hurt real bad IF one does not do the right thing. I really do thank all of you for your inputs.

i'm new also sonny , so don't confuse me with someone who knows what they're talking about here . hehehe
folks here have been very generous and kind replying to my newbie and dumb questions and i appreciate that .

Latest posts

Back