measuring black powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for your reply. I sent a question to Midway USA about Goex gun powder. Their reply was Goex products has been deleted from there site. I was luck last year to get two pounds of Goex FFg. I will be looking at other manufactures and maybe the Goex products will come back on line.

Afternoon all.
When I use my T7 fffg powder with below measurer set on the line just under 100, (100 is not visible) then pour this into the quick loader, it comes to the 110 line. Why is this?
1. Traditions Hunter Flask & Powder Measure A1334
2. Traditions Super Magnum Pellet Quick Loader A1315

Afternoon all.
When I use my T7 fffg powder with below measurer set on the line just under 100, (100 is not visible) then pour this into the quick loader, it comes to the 110 line. Why is this?
Obviously something is not properly calibrated. I would suspect the quick loader. Do you have another powder measure? I ask because I have 3 or 4 different types of measures. I would not be surprised if they measure different amounts, even when set to the same volume.

Have you been shooting this load and just noticed the discrepancy? Are you hitting where you are aiming? Don't get bogged down with minor details. It's easy to do and can ruin your hunt and give you the yips!

Thanks. I was leaning towards the quick loaders being off also. I used the 100 line on the quick loader for now as my measurement since that is how it was measured for sighting in. I'll do more tinkering after hunting season is over.

Afternoon all.

I noticed the quick loader is labeled as a "Pellet" quick loader. That is designed to hold three 50 grain Pyrodex pellets, which are tightly pressed together in some manner.
The powder measure is calibrated for loose black powder.
That is your discrepancy. 50 grain tightly pressed together clumps of Pyrodex are going to occupy less space than loose black powder in 3f granulation.

Depends n methods vary from one person to another. Quickload tubes i don't own any, i am cheap n i use smaller vials that will only hold 100 gr max. I don't tap my volume measure. I only weigh if i have got down to trying for the smallest group possible for making holes in targets at diff yardages

Different powder measuring tubes will show different measurements not necessarily because of calibration but because of different shapes. It's a "soil mechanics" kind of principal. So if one tube if filled to 100, you dump that in another tool that's a different shape, it will often measure different. ie. long skinny vs short and fat tube will be very different. So if you use water in lieu of powder to measure, they should theoretically measure the same assuming the tools are accurately marked. So I don't think 1 is better or more accurate than another when it comes to shooting in general, like others have said, as long as you are consistent in how you dump powder, tap vs no tap, etc. It doesn't really matter as long as you use the same measuring tool and same technique all the time. So don't use one tool at the range and use a different tool out in the field.

Either by volume in a graduated powder measure or by weight on a powder scale. X
You mention a "Black Powder Scale", what is the difference from using like say a postal scale?
Thanks ahead of time

You mention a "Black Powder Scale", what is the difference from using like say a postal scale?
Thanks ahead of time
Powder scale. Any powder scale of any brand that measures in grains. Look at what Midwayusa has to offer. Balance beam or digital.......your choice. X

So their is a difference? Thank you!
The postal scale we have at work measures in 1/4 1/2 and 1 ounce increments and is made to weigh letters and small packages. Definitely not suitable for weighing powder which is measured in grains.
[437 grains equals one ounce.] X

You need to be careful with the electronic powder scales. They can and do drift over time. Especially the battery powered ones. You need to double check them often.

I also use the volume measurements with black powder and subs. But I use weight in grains for smokeless powder.

But ages ago when I first started reloading as a teenager I used the Lee Loader sets that had powder dippers in them. I got quite good at using the dippers and even made a bunch of DIY different ones for different loads etc.

When I first got into muzzleloaders as a teenager I used the Dixie Gun Works catalogue as my reference. It is still a good source to use today too.There was no internet way back then. Everything was mail order or by telephone. But most people didn’t have even home telephones yet. The public and school libraries had next to nothing about muzzleloaders then either. Anyway the DGW catalogue used by volume measurements too.

When I think about it, the early settlers, trappers and hunters used volume measurements for their muzzleloaders too. I seriously doubt that any of them carried a balance scale so they could carefully measure out their powder charges by weight.

You need to be careful with the electronic powder scales. They can and do drift over time. Especially the battery powered ones. You need to double check them often.

I also use the volume measurements with black powder and subs. But I use weight in grains for smokeless powder.

But ages ago when I first started reloading as a teenager I used the Lee Loader sets that had powder dippers in them. I got quite good at using the dippers and even made a bunch of DIY different ones for different loads etc.

When I first got into muzzleloaders as a teenager I used the Dixie Gun Works catalogue as my reference. It is still a good source to use today too.There was no internet way back then. Everything was mail order or by telephone. But most people didn’t have even home telephones yet. The public and school libraries had next to nothing about muzzleloaders then either. Anyway the DGW catalogue used by volume measurements too.

When I think about it, the early settlers, trappers and hunters used volume measurements for their muzzleloaders too. I seriously doubt that any of them carried a balance scale so they could carefully measure out their powder charges by weight.
Back in the early days I doubt anyone shooting homemade powder would know what a balance scale was other than some new fangled contraption that gave unfair advantage over competitors/game or indians /just sayin Ed

We all remember in the olden days the powder to cover ball in palm was the tried n true method for them. I'd wager that they used some hollowed out antler for measuring. They were big on the unburned powder gr in the snow, n would back off to conserve powder. Most all ML owners were of the smooth bore/trade guns n not the rifles that cost more. Reasons were tree rats n rabbits n turkeys n fowl were often hunted.

We all remember in the olden days the powder to cover ball in palm was the tried n true method for them. I'd wager that they used some hollowed out antler for measuring. They were big on the unburned powder gr in the snow, n would back off to conserve powder. Most all ML owners were of the smooth bore/trade guns n not the rifles that cost more. Reasons were tree rats n rabbits n turkeys n fowl were often hunted.
I guess I should say Thank You ALL for the knowledge that I have learned from you in such a short time. I think most of us could have been friends.
Court is out on my banning from the other group and I'm not sure if that will follow over to this one. Either way I want to explain that I'm a Marine (that stands for Ass, in most of my groups). If I have offended any of you for anything I have said I Apologize, that's just me. You all have a Great day and we will see how court goes. Lol, so.e of you are some Smart m****r*****ers. I can't even tell you what I have learned, but the new people that come into these 2 groups have some good dudes to kickem in the butt and teach them!!!

Maybe we need to start a poll to see how many tap the powder measure when filling? I’ve been tapping for over 45 years and will continue to do so. :lewis:
The few times I do volume instead of weighting I tap too ! But do not for a second think it is anything more than I ran out of measured loads and more importantly in hunting/target I'm cheap and for me to scrape off some (Genuine OE powder) , that ain't ever happening!!!!/Ed

Latest posts

Back