measuring charges by weight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to piggyback on this but hopefully not complicate, what would you expect the difference to be between one of the handhelds that measures grains and say a Redding 3BR powder measure. For me the Redding throws 80 and it is 90 in the handheld...this is consistent throughout the range....90=100, 100=110. On the scale the Redding 80 weighs the equivalent of 80 grains or pretty close.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Will not know till you try it ! Volume can be compacted /leveled /shook /mounded just to not waste , where as weighted is the same every time unless your scale broke . As doing the same every time is critical to accuracy in any shooting sport ,What would you do ? I weight cause accuracy is everything ,target or hunting /Ed

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/weigh-bh-209.41877/
I think when you use a powder with consistent grain size, like BH 209, there is less of a difference. By filling by volume, and tapping 3 times, I was getting 2” groups at 100 yards with open sights. Since I dont shoot past 120-150 yards with open sights, that is plenty good for me. And saves me a lot of time.

Once I retire I am sure I will weigh all my charges. Also, as stated On a post above, BH 209 varies noticeably in weight from lot to lot. So weighing 10 loads, and coming up with an average, when a new lot comes in, and changing you volume up or down accordingly, would be a smart thing

IMO if you're shooting blackpowder or blackpowder subs, measure by volume. That's the way it was intended.
Perhaps years and years ago. Things change as people begin to realize the benefits of weighing over measuring. Measuring is not cut in stone. It's sort of along the same path as one "should not scope a side lock". There is no good argument why one would not want to. Same with weighing powder charges.

I place all of my weighed charges in appropriate sized plastic tubes with stopper tops that I get from ULINE. Take them to range and when hunting. Saves me time and powder versus dispensing powder in the field especially if there is wind involved. I post on The Traditional Muzzleloader forum also and every now and then I will squirrel hunt using traditional methods only but I usually go the easy route and have everything pre measured in plastic tubes.

Years back I'd weigh my charges until the wifer (remember, they like to be called that) told me no more.
She said the scale belongs in the bathroom. Fooled her. I saved up my allowance money and bought my own..

Latest posts

Back