Milk carton gas checks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernbar

Reaction score
Read several posts on this subject and wanted to ask if you guys punched out discs for your particular caliber from waxed milk cartons to use as gas checks on cast lead bullets to control leading from warm/hot magnum loads?

Read several posts on this subject and wanted to ask if you guys punched out discs for your particular caliber from waxed milk cartons to use as gas checks on cast lead bullets to control leading from warm/hot magnum loads?

Gas checks are so last century all the cool people pwdercoat these days

(and are reaching 2200fps+ w/o leading in 300bo and 762x39)

Interesting thought about the waxed paper milk cartons being used to make gas checks. I don’t know anyone that did it though.

But the powder coating of lead bullets is becoming very popular though,

Gas checks are so last century all the cool people pwdercoat these days

(and are reaching 2200fps+ w/o leading in 300bo and 762x39)
I have coated cast bullets but I also have several hundred regular cast ones that I want to reload and use and re stock with the coated ones.

Interesting thought about the waxed paper milk cartons being used to make gas checks. I don’t know anyone that did it though.

But the powder coating of lead bullets is becoming very popular though,
Yes they are. Bayou Bullets make them in a hi tech coating that is really slick. I shoot them in my 45 Colt 1873 and leaves no leading.

I have coated cast bullets but I also have several hundred regular cast ones that I want to reload and use and re stock with the coated ones.

Ah... in that case, are the bullets themselves designed for gas checks? The heel will be rebated just a hair. The gas checks themselves are traditionally really thin metal and the bullet is seated into them, almost like seating into a case.

Ah... in that case, are the bullets themselves designed for gas checks? The heel will be rebated just a hair. The gas checks themselves are traditionally really thin metal and the bullet is seated into them, almost like seating into a case.
No the base is plain

If your casting your own either get a GC mold or Steal the wife's toaster oven and learn to PC your new bullets and like it was said shoot @ moderate speeds (1600FPS or less with soft) or for me with harder cast . BHN #s are only available to those that cast ,if store bought your at the suppliers mercy ! Get a Lee tester (cheap) to test BHN and you will be surprised at the variation in store bought from some /Ed

Thanks for the input. I know these are not true gas checks but just wondered if anyone had tried this method.
I will load up a few and try them out just for the heck of it.
Hickok45 on YouTube describes his proven method of removing most leading he has used for the last 45 years and is simply to run thru a few jacketed bullets after running a box or two of cast ones. I also have used this method for many years and it works very well at keeping leading very minimal making cleaning a lot easier and faster.

Thanks for the input. I know these are not true gas checks but just wondered if anyone had tried this method.
Hickok45 on YouTube describes his proven method of removing most leading he has used for the last 45 years and is simply to run thru a few jacketed bullets after running a box or two of cast ones. I also have used this method for many years and it works very well at keeping leading very minimal making cleaning a lot easier and faster.
Shoot lead free using Dura Felt wads or LDPE poly wads to prevent gas cutting of base (main reason ) deforming bullet base/leading under 1600FPS/ Harbor Freight sells (CHEAP) hole punch sets( $15-20 ) Ed

Attachments

• IMG_1252[1].JPG
    IMG_1252[1].JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Shoot lead free using Dura Felt wads or LDPE poly wads to prevent gas cutting of base (main reason ) deforming bullet base/leading under 1600FPS/ Harbor Freight sells (CHEAP) hole punch sets( $15-20 ) Ed
You have a link to the felt material?

I used to watch Hickok but some stuff didn't work for me , leading in grooves (not removed) eventually it is a problem . Leading is a non issue with proper BHN/hardness and proper sizing for your bore if you don't get those right you get leading . Hickok does not get that far into the sport for discussing , just says shoot some jacketed and everything will be fine (BS) ! Casting /lead hardness /alloys are all learning the craft and it is a sport for sure unto itself . If you hate waiting /rising costs/back orders and enjoy rolling your own with master class boolits you get involved , not to save money but learning the fine art of casting and probably acquiring a extra room just for mold storage :woohoo:

Back