Mini Howa 300 blackout so fun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe they cut some type of chamber into the bottom of the barrel I'm not sure exactly how that man does that, there's probably somebody on this site that has one of his rifles

Smaller caliber than .45/.50 smokeless is what I find REALLY INTRIGUING.

I wonder if a small bore .264 or .308 could be accomplished on a Ruger No. 1 falling block action using a Hankins SML-style module?.

I know that the No.1 action is monstrously strong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you go under 45cal its a whole other ball game. Peak can spike VERY high and fast. There is a very narrow window for too little and too much.

Where are shooters getting their starting data from?

I understand how dangerous the wrong smokeless propellant, and or the wrong amount can be. Small changes can make a huge difference.

Is this new science based on old chemistry and physics?

How much of what happens in a cartridge case with a particular propellant, charge weight, bullet style, bullet weight, action type, and barrel dimensions is relevant to an SML setup with the same propellant, charge weight, and bullet parameters?

Those are great questions Bruce,not only for what you're dreaming about but just to understand if you're a smokeless shooter,I do not know if anyone has done a comprehensive research project that would answer all those questions I think you might have to get in small pieces all that information and put it together from multiple resources

Where are shooters getting their starting data from?

I understand how dangerous the wrong smokeless propellant, and or the wrong amount can be. Small changes can make a huge difference.

Is this new science based on old chemistry and physics?

How much of what happens in a cartridge case with a particular propellant, charge weight, bullet style, bullet weight, action type, and barrel dimensions is relevant to an SML setup with the same propellant, charge weight, and bullet parameters?
From what i understand at a 40 cal the pressure spikes can start to get a bit spooky and going down to smaller calibers it gets worse . Just a grain or part of a grain more can get you into trouble . They say a 45 is Very Forgiveing . Not so smaller . A constant watch on velocities AND Early Pressure Signs require a slower burn rate Right NOW !!! Not so on a 45 . Bullet weight is also touchier getting heavier too . Basically all SML data is figured from CF data and GOOD DATA is trace verified . Pressure Traces are a Dam Good Idea for 40 and under , Really kinda Required . The SPIKES are what get ya . Sudden make no sence Spikes WHEN YOU ARE GETTING CLOSER TO MAX with a given powder in the RIFLES MIND !!! Thats the Big Deal with smaller calibers . You cant push a given powder too far !!! They say a 45 is best to start with cuz it is forgiving (pushable) and they are probably right in most cases of guys and powders .

In a 40 you got 2 basic CF's to gather ideas from , both kinda old and obscure . The 405 Winchester and the 400 Whelen .

Hope thats a little clearer on the smaller bore sml's .

Last edited:
From what i understand at a 40 cal the pressure spikes can start to get a bit spooky and going down to smaller calibers it gets worse . Just a grain or part of a grain more can get you into trouble . They say a 45 is Very Forgiveing . Not so smaller . A constant watch on velocities AND Early Pressure Signs require a slower burn rate Right NOW !!! Not so on a 45 . Bullet weight is also touchier getting heavier too . Basically all SML data is figured from CF data and GOOD DATA is trace verified . Pressure Traces are a Dam Good Idea for 40 and under , Really kinda Required . The SPIKES are what get ya . Sudden make no sence Spikes WHEN YOU ARE GETTING CLOSER TO MAX with a given powder in the RIFLES MIND !!! Thats the Big Deal with smaller calibers . You cant push a given powder too far !!! They say a 45 is best to start with cuz it is forgiving (pushable) and they are probably right in most cases of guys and powders .
In a 40 you got 2 basic CF's to gather ideas from , both kinda old and obscure . The 405 Winchester and the 400 Whelen .

Hope thats a little clearer on the smaller bore sml's .

Does that mean that if someone wishes to shoot small bore smokeless muzzle loading, that they need to invest in equipment/sensors that can read pressure off of the outside of an action/barrel/breech?

Does that mean that if someone wishes to shoot small bore smokeless muzzle loading, that they need to invest in equipment/sensors that can read pressure off of the outside of an action/barrel/breech?
Id find a builder Experianced with them with Proven Loads or find Someone that does pressure traces and tests loads . I havent a clue what the equipment costs or where to get it now . There Are guys that will do it out there .

Latest posts

Back