MK 85 45 Cal.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eye410ring

Reaction score
According to the man i bought this Muzzle loader off of.He said it was for Trial.He was doing a test on this new 45 cal Knight.Supposed to be a 1 in 14 twist with a 28 in Barrel.He said back in 83.I have known him almost my whole life.It's a In line came with 209 nipple,rifle primer nipple,and N0.11 nipple.Supposed to be writing this article and doing this test for a Major gun magazine.Can not say who,don't want to get in trouble!Any help on this Ser.# 8365

Should be a 1-24 twist. That is what Knight sold in a MK85 45cal and they are pretty hard to find now. 1-14 is a super fast twist for a 45cal ML but not uncommon for rounds like 458Win Mag or 460 Weatherby.

I have showed people how accurate it is @ 100 yards.Regularly holes connecting w/190 grain bullet 150 grains powder.Or 150 grain 357 cal sabbot w/100 grain powder.No scope adjustment needed.Same sight picture,believe or not.

I dont think the MK85 was ever rated for 150gr loads.

Pretty sure it was 100gr of real black or Pyrodex for the 45cal. Triple7 was probably not even around then. 1-14 would be crazy fast to get any accuracy with a 150gr load. I would have to see it to believe it. Ive seen 1-20 or slower handle some very fast loads though and produce amazing accuracy.

Back