CVA Paramount Pro V2…Does Ferrari make these?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll again ask the folks that have bought a CVA rifle that is recently manufactured. Not the pre- 2019 models. Is your barrel a consistent diameter from muzzle to breech, or is it inconsistent with tight spots and loose spots?

My Wolf is a 2021 model as far as I know. (Haven't tried to verify, but I did buy it new in 2021.) Bore is true. No
tight or loose spots. If you are talking about those who have bought the paramount or MR-X rifles you can disregard my post.

I got an Optima a few weeks ago. I have not tried any bullets directly against the bore but the sabots I tried were a tight fit all the way down. Compared to the bore pics above mine looks like absolute perfection. I can't see any blemishes in it. Definitely nothing like that. We also have a Wolf. The bore seems consistent but there are some odd marks between grooves for a short distance near the breech. Other guys might complain about that bore but the gun seems to shoot fine and it also seems to have consistent pressure down the barrel when pushing down bullets in a sabot. Have not tried bullet to bore in it either.

I love my paramount! I bought the green stocked gun when they first came out. It has been so much fun to shoot. I have shot 10” plates at 500 yards. The gun is super accurate. I’ve never had module leaks or anything else to complain about and I shoot max charges. The gun is on the heavy side if you are carrying it far. I like it so much I just bought a new paramount htr. Hopefully it’s as good as my first one

I just pushed a bullet through several times and I don’t feel anything unusual about it. But I shoot the powerbelt elr and they slide down pretty easily anyway. Looking down the clean barrel I don’t see any chatter marks on the lands and the groves seem to be pretty slick

My first paramount was the original model. I bought it when they first came out. My new one I just picked up was previously purchased last year by someone else at scheels and never fired it is called the htr model it has the adjustable grayboe stock and black action and barrel

Thank you Andy.

No problem. I'll also ad for the record, my Wolf shoots darn good at 100 yards with pyrodex and 420 grain conicals from No Excuses.
They go down the bore easy and smooth with consistent pressure.
Picture of my most current groups:

20230114_182924.jpg

Still need to adjust the scope to The right, but the 2nd (top) group measures 1 3/8 inches. I shot that
group using a rest setup that I really don't like so once I get something better, I do believe this gun will shoot
moa or really really close to it at 100 yards. As others have pointed out, it seems the Wolf's and Optimas still have good bores being put on them, so if one is looking to buy a CVA, both of those rifles still look to be a solid choice.

Hey Jack . Thanks for checking , but I don’t know if the the ELR bullet with its plastic base will give you the feel that shows the different friction. But you said it’s new to you, but not a new model. I’m trying to learn if the new models have consistent diameter n the bore from muzzle to breech. Test it with a copper jacket bullet and see how consistent it feels as it goes down the bore

No problem. I'll also ad for the record, my Wolf shoots darn good at 100 yards with pyrodex and 420 grain conicals from No Excuses.
They go down the bore easy and smooth with consistent pressure.
Picture of my most current groups:

View attachment 30580

Still need to adjust the scope to The right, but the 2nd (top) group measures 1 3/8 inches. I shot that
group using a rest setup that I really don't like so once I get something better, I do believe this gun will shoot
moa or really really close to it at 100 yards. As others have pointed out, it seems the Wolf's and Optimas still have good bores being put on them, so if one is looking to buy a CVA, both of those rifles still look to be a solid choice.
I think it's important to note that based on testimony of members here as well as Facebook that the Wolf and Optima 50 cal models for reasons nobody can explain, seem to be still made the same way all CVA rifles were made prior to the ELR rifle era.

I think your woodsman was a great buy! And thanks for the update on Barry B. Knight makes fine rifles own them like them. Wonder if Barry had a straight factory knight r if someone had there fingers in it. Please let me know 52 big bore. I stand corrected on that. Thank you for making me even smarter lol. Good to know stuff. To get my mountaineer to do what I wanted and shoot like I wanted required a trip to mister fisk. I think Doug swartz made a trip r two there also. Might be wrong about that , seems he pulled his hair out with a 500 lol. Anyway after what I put in the knight I'd say the paramount was a steel. I've never had the problems with my paramount that I've read others have. Maybe I just got a good one. Only problem was that bullet designed for it. Shoulda made it bigger. R just did what knight did and let fury deal with the bullet making. I'm sure he'd take the business. Why powerbelt doesn't just make a .453 ish bullet that can be sized r just used as is. Is a great mystery to me. A .453 with that heavy powder charge should be ok for most bores I would think. Anyway I can only speak for my self. I love my knight. But if I had it to do over I'd bought the paramount first. As mine has been wonderful. And I'd spent the money I paid for the mountaineer and bestill work on a perrigrine 40 cal. Wich will probably be my next rifle hopefully. Thanks for replies and thanks for the brotherly love patched. I wish u happiness and prosperity. I hope you enjoy whatever you spend your money on. Lord knows I'm gonna cause I got some great stuff! Wasn't cheap but man it's cool and works great for as far as most people can shoot. I hear it's 1000 yards now. Atleast I think that's what encore was shooting. Man I envy him. One cool guy. Hope his health improves. We will lose a great muzzleloader shooter one day when he is gone. He is a world of knowledge and great to correspond with. So is Jeff fisk and the rest of them. Hankins boys and followers r really cool down to earth people too. After all isn't this a longrange muzzleloader forum? We more people like them if longrange is going to survive.

Trying to get company's to make things the way we want is sound imput. Saying they care more about money than accuracy, well that just makes them not like us and our forum. Maybe I'm just a relic but seems like bashing to me. If I'm wrong r have offended someone I apologize it wasn't my intention. Thanks to all of u for allowing me here. Didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. We just need to push the right way is all I'm saying. So hope I don't get hate mail now lol.
I think Walmart has a sale on Buttbalm

If your rifles r such pieces of junk send them back. I sent a accura back gave me full refund. They stood by it. Bought it from muzzleloader.com good people. Very religious. There is atleast 2 very accurate paramount rifles. The one I have and the one Barry won friendship with. My rifle has a very nice bore. It's just a sabot barrel. Just like a mountaineer I have in .45. That knight has just as loose a barrel. The paramount is a slightly bigger but not enough to say it's really worse. I mean they're both 453ish. You can load same sized bullet if you just want to push harder. I size to the right fit for each. You guys r gonna mess around and there gonna stop making these .45 and .40 bolt guns. Just like we killed the .45 in the past and made the .50 king. Well it ain't king anymore. Your gonna find out in a few years that they just went back to what people bought and where fine with. Go ahead make out like I'm full of crap. I got think skin. And I've seen 50 years of marketing. If you hate cva so bad just don't buy them. I bet most of the guns out there have loose bores if they are mass production guns. Hec it's always been that way. It why no one wanted to make sabotless rifles. But custom gun makers. Trying to get a company to listen to what u want and like is one thing. Some of you guys just take it to far. Cut the damn things up with a shop saw and mail it to them. That will make a statement they can't miss. Stick a letter in with it. There obviously no good to you as they r . So just let em know your never buying another cva product wash your hands of them put on your boots and go by a woodsman r a traditions r t/c used. I've bought some very expensive things that didn't work out. And have to ex wives that wanted to bleed me dry. They're are alot have happy cva buyers. Just like there's unhappy night buyers. Yous just don't seem to get what lm trying to say. You just want to lash out at a company cause you think they screwed you. There not out to do that. No long term money in it. And cva is wanting to stay in business in a economy that sucks. So send the hate mail. This old man has been around the block. I've seen many products that could of been great just **** canned because of this stuff. So now throw me off of here and have a good laugh. I doubt many of you really know what it is to be screwed in a big money venture. These gun companies do. Remington went bankrupt. They're trying and I hope they keep it up.
Any idea what bullet(s) and charges Barry shot?

On the ELR Midway had them for 16.99 a cut from 25.00-30.00 if your interested
I know they shot lights out in my 40 cal Peregrine

Last edited:
Back