Mk85 powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottprice

Reaction score
Can I shoot bh209 in an mk85? Pyrodex? I’m not into pellets so I want to be able to shoot loose, preferably bh209

I’m looking at an mk85 to buy and it has the 209 conversion

BH 209 is not recommended in Plunger style rifles. In the MK-85 you can shoot Real Black, plus any of the other subs like Pyrodex and 777, Black MZ.

Never compared them myself, at least for velocity. I shoot mostly Pyrodex or 777 in mine. I do shoot Swiss 3F in my 36cal LK and it does very well in it. Fouling might be a little softer, if I remember right though it has been a while.

Swiss black is the best there is. I've used it exclusively to 10 years in my Black Diamonds ( .45&.50 calibers) and my .50 cal ThunderHawk.
Excellent velocities, less fouling than other black powders. You won't regret using it. Not as corrosive as Pyrodex either.

Good info. I hate that I’m kinda crunches for time here and need to decide on a rifle quickly.... I’d rather have some time to learn and compare options!

I wish I had Swiss locally, i’d Love to try it.

I shoot RS out of my MK with pretty good results.

I have go to loads. A 250 grain 45 XTP in a Harvester crush rib sabot, 70 he of 3f Swiss lit with a Remington #11. 1575 fps from my 26 inch 50 XR and 1540 from my 22 inch ThunderHawk.
My bear load, a 300 gr ( non magnum) XTP and 90 of 3f Swiss, same sabot and cap, gets 1600 fps from the XR. Havent worked up the courage to try it in the ThunderHawk yet. Little thing only weighs as much as a high quality 22!
With Swiss, I find if I get shot to shot variations in velocity over 10 fps, I'm doing something wrong. Never could get smokeless to shoot that way.
This powder is just spectacular in my 45.
The .50 caliber loads seem modest by some standards, but the 250 grain load has removed the will to live from 9 deer at ranges from 12 feet to 150 yards.
Good fortune to you

I shoot a Knight Big Horn which is essentially an MK. It is a 50 cal but not converted to shoot 209s. I shoot Goex 2f as I have not seen Swiss anywhere locally. I shoot the 300 gr XTP bullet in a black Harvester crush rib sabot and 85 -90 gr of powder. My longest shot was laser measured at 129 yds on a huge whitetail buck in Kansas and it did the job. Most of my shots are less than 100 yds with some much less and I have faith in this load out to at least 130 yds. If I do my best the rifle does it's job.

Video on mk85 loading and shooting? I can’t find a damn thing or a manual.... looks like a few more steps than pulling a hammer back and going to work

Can I shoot bh209 in an mk85? Pyrodex? I’m not into pellets so I want to be able to shoot loose, preferably bh209

I’m looking at an mk85 to buy and it has the 209 conversion

My suggestion would be to go back to cap ignition and shoot T7-2f powder. All the energy of the most hardy BP's and not near as corrosive.

If you go back to cap ignition - specifically #11 Mag caps - no need to patch between shots...

You could use the 209 but it would often require patching between shots.

This was my first outing with and older BK-92 which is much like a MK.

New-BK-92.jpg

Target-Composite.jpg

Video on mk85 loading and shooting? I can’t find a damn thing or a manual.... looks like a few more steps than pulling a hammer back and going to work

Scott,

The MK is not any harder to shoot than a sidelock. Pull the hammer back till it locks back, set the safety, load, cap, turn safety off, and shoot.

I agree with Sabotloader on the ignition. You really don't gain anything with the 209 ignition. The MK was actually designed to use the #11 caps and like He said used the #11 Mag caps and they will go bang every time. The one real down side to the 209 primer ignition is that it could increase the crud ring build up and you would need to swab more with it.

Send me a PM with your email and I can send you the manual in a PDF if you want it.

I didn’t have much luck when I tried it - 1st shot was ok, 2nd shot was a hang fire, 3rd shot didn’t go off. But I don’t recall when I used a #11 cap or the 209 primer conversion back then.

However, I use a hybrid load in my grandson’s LK-II, the flash channel is filled with T7 and then 50 grains of BH209 on top of that. The main reason was to reduce the smoke cloud in front of the blind.

I would think if T7 was used as an ignition primer you could sneak up on a reasonable hunting load with BH209 in a MK85.

I know its been said many times, but BH 209 is a BAD idea in striker fired inlines due to the longer pressure curve. Cayugad ( RIP Dave) once wrote of having a chunk of 209 primer removed from his forehead after an attempt.
The longer pressure curve means the blowback through the nipple has more time to overcome the spring tension and inertia of the striker, thereby allowing the striker to be blown back sufficiently to uncap/ deprime the rifle and/ or allowing a large volume of gas to escape to tje rear. Not worth the risk. 50 gr ( volume I'm assuming) isn't a heavy load, but its still not recommended. Duplex loads are scary too. Never do know how one powder may or may not effect the other.

As to the Knight MK 85 and BH209, there is more BS than in a Texas feed lot! Wives tales abound.

Bill

I think he means he uses it in his rifles so its safe to do in his book. He has other posts saying he uses it in his MK85.

Latest posts

Back