MK85 Predator OTW

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
should be here tomorrow. Sept cant get here soon enough. Ready to get in a stand and some cooler weather

I use CCI magnum caps out of my MK-85. Never a problem. I also used musket caps in it. Its a good gun. One of my favorites. To the OP.... you should have no ignition problems with the no11 caps with loose powder.

Ups man just left. In original box with paperwork. This thing is slick. Think i may order a hex breechplug and a few nipples just to have around. Bad weather rolling in but ill get to shoot it over the weekend

Sweet! :yeah: They are great rifles and are so wonderful to carry in the woods.
Plus it has a great scope on it too.

It came with a pile of 200gr hollow points and sabots. Guy said it liked those over 2 pellets. Im gonna stick with loose and see how it shoot great plains bullets. My other ones love that bullet over 100gr of pyrodex.

Has 4 digit serial # and 8 lands with SS behind serial# and recessed crown. Gathering its a wiseman barrel. And trigger doesnt say timney on it. Mighty clean though. Got some crush ribs otw and some reg green sabots and some great plains bullets. If it would quit raining for more than 5 min i might could get to see how she shoots.

Scored this laminate stock from a buddy who had it laying around for $20 and a box of t7 pellets I had

Heck of a buy for $20. It will look great on that stainless MK. :yeah:

Nice! Probably could have got it for $5 if you had kept the pellets. :mrgreen:

He likes pellets. I like loose. He runs his with 209 and 2 pellets. Im stickin with no11 and loose in mine

Finally got to shoot her yest. Had a few projectiles on hand. 240xtp in MMP green, and some 395 great plains bullets. 90gr of Black MZ with no11 cci magnum. 50 yds off of a bog pod the sabots were touching and the conical made it look like a mickey mouse head. Shoots all three to same POI at 50 yds. I'm not a fan of the 240's as I like 2 holes in a deer and I think they might not do that. Ive got some 300gr xtps's on the way. Sight it in 1" high at 100 with the 300's and hopefully the great plains will shoot close as well. I tried a pound of the black mz since it was so cheap. Ignited great in both the knight and my tc greyhawk. Seems consistant as both put shots on top of one another. EASY to clean up afterwards. Has a bit more smoke than pyrodex to me and only negative is it doesn't pour out of my little flask as easy but I have one of the little 30gr spouts and it is kinda small. Hopefully next week I'll get it on the bench with the 300's and get it ready to pop a deer in a few weeks. I swear this thing shoots as well or better than my centerfires

I'm glad she is shooting well for you. I really like the mk-85s that I have collected over the years. Just a no nonsense good shooting rifle. IMO they rival the Whites for simplicity and accuracy. Best Wishes.

Ive killed a ton of deer(at least 40) with the 240 gr xtp w/green sabot and 90 gr of Pyrodex RS or 2 pyrodex pellets and have only had a couple that didn't exit.. unless your shooting them end to end don't think it would be a problem or as long as you don't push them too fast and fragment them.

phoenman said:
Finally got to shoot her yest. Had a few projectiles on hand. 240xtp in MMP green, and some 395 great plains bullets. 90gr of Black MZ with no11 cci magnum. 50 yds off of a bog pod the sabots were touching and the conical made it look like a mickey mouse head. Shoots all three to same POI at 50 yds. I'm not a fan of the 240's as I like 2 holes in a deer and I think they might not do that. Ive got some 300gr xtps's on the way. Sight it in 1" high at 100 with the 300's and hopefully the great plains will shoot close as well. I tried a pound of the black mz since it was so cheap. Ignited great in both the knight and my tc greyhawk. Seems consistant as both put shots on top of one another. EASY to clean up afterwards. Has a bit more smoke than pyrodex to me and only negative is it doesn't pour out of my little flask as easy but I have one of the little 30gr spouts and it is kinda small. Hopefully next week I'll get it on the bench with the 300's and get it ready to pop a deer in a few weeks. I swear this thing shoots as well or better than my centerfires

Well that's good to know because ive got 20 or so of em. I read a lot of places that they blew up at close range, but then again that coulda been with 150 gr loads in other guns. Ive never felt the need to go above 100gr. We have some nice sized hogs here too so I figure the 300's should do fine for whatever I wanna shoot. Knowing that it shoots the conicals ok I should be fine if I ever head west

Congrats on your rifle! They are fantastic...I have a bunch. My very first one was a predator, same as yours - I bought it new many moons ago. Killed alot of deer with that ol gal.

And a great pickup on that stock also!

I'll echo what was said, 240's are fine if that is what you want to use. I actually use 240 Deep Curls, outstanding terminal performance.
Most of the MK's seem to like 90-100gr of loose, I personally use Pyro RS in mine.

going to sight it in after work today. got some 300gr Xtp's and crush ribs. See how she does. The laminate stock made it feel killer.

they shoot the 300 gr xtps good also and usually with the same load or there abouts.

phoenman said:
going to sight it in after work today. got some 300gr Xtp's and crush ribs. See how she does. The laminate stock made it feel killer.

Well the old girl is gonna get a chance to shoot an elk in Dec. or at least get carried around in the mountains for awhile

Back