More Barnes Spitfire TMZ for Whitetails

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluerock

Reaction score
Well I used the 250gr. Spitfire TMZs to whack a 6 point buck and the bullet did what it needed to do. I am wondering though why the exit wound was the same diameter as the entrance wound.

The shot was taken at around 35 yards with a muzzle velocity around 1900 fps. The bullet cleanly poked a hole in the shoulder on the near side and the ribs on the far side. It took out the heart and both lungs. The deer ran about 35-40 yards before he started leaving blood on the ground, another 25 yards and he was down for the count.

Clearly the bullet did not fail with the shot placement I managed. Still I wonder if I should look for a bullet that expands quicker than the all copper TMZ. Barnes classifies this bullet as "deep penetrating". I would like to have been able to see the slug after the shot and judge the expansion. Any thoughts?

No blood for 40yds? :shock: Same size hole in and out. I would look for a better bullet. The SST or an XTP would give you much better results on game. Same with the Barnes MZ expander.

Because hide can be very elastic, the exit hole size may be of little value. What would in my opinion matter the most is the size of the wound channel and how quickly the animal expired given the placement of the shot.

Personally, I wound't worry about it. The bullet seems to have done just fine. Recovering the deer after 65yds is okay. Sometimes they don't won't drop on the spot. Concerning amount of blood....shoulder shots(muscle) just don't bleed like BEHIND the shoulder or lung shots do. I've shot 'em thru the shoulder with an 250gr SST and they never bled a drop. Go shoot one behind the shoulder and report back! :D

Well I think that I will experiment with the SSTs and Shockwaves. The Barnes bullets produced nice tight groups even if the sabots are more than a little stiff going down the barrel. In my book nice tight groups are every bit as important as slug performance.

The deer only took about 5 to 6 seconds to get from where it was shot to the place where it dropped. I don't know how long it stood there before it went down because it was out of my line of sight.

Thanks for the insight!

Latest posts

Back