Moving to a Crossbow?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After numerous shoulder dislocations I gave hunting with a compound bow and bought a Barnett crossbow. It has a bolt speed around 300 fps with a 400 grain bolt. A bit of caution that I may add to this discussion is that there is some recoil to shooting a crossbow. It is similar to shooting a long gun that fires a 400 grain projectile.

A plus to having a crossbow is that most members of the household can use the same piece of equipment to hunt with regardless of the their physical size. I know two families in my area that have one crossbow that multiple family members use to hunt with.

After numerous shoulder dislocations I gave hunting with a compound bow and bought a Barnett crossbow. It has a bolt speed around 300 fps with a 400 grain bolt. A bit of caution that I may add to this discussion is that there is some recoil to shooting a crossbow. It is similar to shooting a long gun that fires a 400 grain projectile.

A plus to having a crossbow is that most members of the household can use the same piece of equipment to hunt with regardless of the their physical size. I know two families in my area that have one crossbow that multiple family members use to hunt with.

It's amazing the things that you can overlook!!

I wasn't even thinking about recoil in a crossbow but, of course, "For every action, there must be an equal & opposite reaction".

How easy is it to have an aftermarket magnum recoil pad installed on these modern crossbows? Without drastically changing the manufacturers length of pull?

I bought an air bow this is really the answer for disabled people no cocking but you will need a hand pump or special compressor This thing slings an arrow with unbelievable accuracy not legal in Delaware but is legal in Maryland

I would like to resume bow hunting sometime soon.

I haven't shot a bow since I sold off all my weapons back in 1994. At that time I was shooting an old Bear recurve bow. I can't recall the model. The bow was quite used when I got it from a friend, and the logos were completely worn off. Perhaps deliberately removed?

It had a 45# pull, and if I recall correctly, was 56" long? Been a long time since I have even thought about that bow.

With one severed rotator cuff tendon, and two partially torn rotator cuff tendons in my right shoulder, coupled with decent osteoarthritis, I am leery of trying to pull back even a 30# bow at the present time.

My question to those members here that hunt with a crossbow is for advice, and recommendations.

Thanks
I know here in AZ if you can show you have a medical condition you can use a crossbow during bowhunting season. I would imagine other states have a provision for it.

I just finished speaking with Loren, at Borkholder Archery.

After a 22 minute conversation, I think that I am leaning towards the Excalibur Micro Mag 340 model, and having the Charger EXT Crank installed on the crossbow at the time of purchase.

A follow-up conversation with Nolan at Borkholder, was made to try and ascertain whether a Classic Gunsmith Adapter from Spartan Precision Equipment could be installed into the bottom of, I guess it's termed, the forearm (?). He is sure that the forearm is hollow, & he is going to communicate with Excalibur to find out if the aluminum Classic Gunsmith Adapter may be installed into the forearm of the Micro Mag 340.

If so, then this would allow me to utilize the Spartan Davros ball head that I have already purchased, in conjunction with a Really Right Stuff, MC-25, MK2, 3/8"-24 threaded, carbon fiber monopod with 5 legs.

Which measures 19" when collapsed, has a maximum extended height of 66.5". And weighs in at 908g, or 2 pounds.

Maximum height with Davros ball head installed is 69" tall, or 175.26 cm. Weight with Davros ball head installed is 2.253 pounds, or 1,023g.

Good choice for a crossbow. My buddy has the same one, he retired his Parker bow. He loves the Excal. Light weight, easy to manage in the woods.
The arrows they come with are called Quills, 16 1/2". They're made by Black Eagle Arrows, which I think are some of the best arrows out there today.
I would imagine that they could mount the mono pod. If not, a set of basic shooting sticks will work just fine. I have a set that I used to use but found it's just one more thing to carry around.

Whatever crossbow you choose take it to a local archery shop and let them recommend a bolt for you Too shoot from it, I am part of a few crossbow groups and see a ton of cracked limbs/string fray. And i see it in all brands and styles..mainly because they are using too light of a bolt/broadhead combination..also speed isn’t everything..accuracy and kinetic energy are key. We have a car in express it’s about 8 years old now and is right around 300 FPS with 20” pike driver bolts and a 125 grain broadhead. Pass throughs every time

Good point made about arrows. I think those Quills are only 250 grains, give or take. I recommend getting 150 field points and broadheads. That will put you right at 400 grains, which is a pretty standard arrow weight.
Black Eagle also has some heavy brass inserts. I don't recall how heavy but with those installed, it will certainly bring up your finished arrow weight considerably.

Another reason why I'm an Excalibur fan. You don't have to shoot the bow to decock it.
Well I'll tell you, I have a CenterPoint Sniper 370 and I've had it for 3 years. Zero problems, accurate out to 60 yards and inexpensive. You can pick one up, even a later model for under $300. Like I said i had mine for 3 years = 3 buck.
OH and you DON'T HAVE TO SHOOT IT TO DECOCK IT. and its as easy as pie to do.

Well I'll tell you, I have a CenterPoint Sniper 370 and I've had it for 3 years. Zero problems, accurate out to 60 yards and inexpensive. You can pick one up, even a later model for under $300. Like I said i had mine for 3 years = 3 buck.
OH and you DON'T HAVE TO SHOOT IT TO DECOCK IT. and its as easy as pie to do.
That's a good feature. I knew that the Misson crossbows could be decocked by hand but didn't know about Centerpoint.

I would like to resume bow hunting sometime soon.

I haven't shot a bow since I sold off all my weapons back in 1994. At that time I was shooting an old Bear recurve bow. I can't recall the model. The bow was quite used when I got it from a friend, and the logos were completely worn off. Perhaps deliberately removed?

It had a 45# pull, and if I recall correctly, was 56" long? Been a long time since I have even thought about that bow.

With one severed rotator cuff tendon, and two partially torn rotator cuff tendons in my right shoulder, coupled with decent osteoarthritis, I am leery of trying to pull back even a 30# bow at the present time.

My question to those members here that hunt with a crossbow is for advice, and recommendations.

Thanks
In your case at hand crank cocker or a model with electric drive cocker will be needed. Note a hand cocker still requires significant force to hold the crossbow steady while cranking. The problem with hand crank there is just not enough gear reduction to reduce required force. Do some research and review youtube videos before buying then if archery shop near go to it and ask questions then ask some more.
Consider this: To hand cock with rope it cuts the force required ny one half.
Then if you cock the xbow by crank the force required is force required divided by four.
If the forces required is 200 lbs you can get to 50 lbs but you need a good way to anchor the bow while doing that. If you can anchor your crossbow and get a 2nd crank you actually reduce the effort by 1/2 to 25 lbs

Electric crank might be in order.
Not sure who makes and how much.
Research!

Last edited:
I just finished speaking with Loren, at Borkholder Archery.

After a 22 minute conversation, I think that I am leaning towards the Excalibur Micro Mag 340 model, and having the Charger EXT Crank installed on the crossbow at the time of purchase.

A follow-up conversation with Nolan at Borkholder, was made to try and ascertain whether a Classic Gunsmith Adapter from Spartan Precision Equipment could be installed into the bottom of, I guess it's termed, the forearm (?). He is sure that the forearm is hollow, & he is going to communicate with Excalibur to find out if the aluminum Classic Gunsmith Adapter may be installed into the forearm of the Micro Mag 340.

If so, then this would allow me to utilize the Spartan Davros ball head that I have already purchased, in conjunction with a Really Right Stuff, MC-25, MK2, 3/8"-24 threaded, carbon fiber monopod with 5 legs.

Which measures 19" when collapsed, has a maximum extended height of 66.5". And weighs in at 908g, or 2 pounds.

Maximum height with Davros ball head installed is 69" tall, or 175.26 cm. Weight with Davros ball head installed is 2.253 pounds, or 1,023g.
If you want a good forum for crossbow information join Crossbow network called CBN or Crossbow Nation. I joined about 5 years ago. The sites experts helped me tons.

Thanks for all of the posts, and your personal experiences regarding the crossbow. I looked online, and there are an overwhelming number of choices that can be made

Based on my personal ideology to try and, "Keep it simple, Bruce!!!", I am leaning towards a crossbow that is equipped with recurve limbs; that has as standard equipment, or that can be added as an accessory, a winch; and that can be easily decocked.

This has me leaning towards the Excalibur brand. Are there any other brands that I should be looking at?

I know from my experience with that old Bear recurve bow, that I prefer a heavier arrow moving slower for its greater penetration, as opposed to the trend towards super lightweight arrows traveling as fast as possible.

Can I assume, there's that dangerous word, that heavy & slow bolts in a crossbow, will perform much like those old arrows did?
I prefer a heavier arrow package as well...500gr to be exact out of my TenPoint Vengent 440S. It's better for the bow, it makes for a quieter shot and through and through penetration to me, is of paramount importance. I have not chronographed my arrows but I can tell you they are still plenty fast. With the bow in my Bog Deathgrip I wouldn't hesitate to take a broadside 60 yard shot...the bow is that accurate. Best wishes on your new adventure!

Latest posts

Back