MUCH better

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: MUCH better

Most times the weight differences is do to moisture in the air and temperature of lead in pot. Winter casting is different than that done in summer, found this when casting large numbers of balls for Crazy Crow and Dixie Gun Works years ago.

Well, the temp was about 20 to 25 deg. lower and the humidity was a bit higher for the second batch.  I wonder which way I need to go with the temp to offset the different conditions?  Hmmm, higher temp may reduce the moisture level....I guess (?).
I have a feeling the heavier balls will fit tighter down the bore (?) using the same patch material.  I measured a few of the heavier ones with a caliper and they are a thousandths or two larger. 
It's been ages since I've done any casting and I wasn't nearly as attentive to weight as I am with these RBs.  Some things need to learned again.  :)

Thanks

shoot, i gave up sorting balls. I now just check for dents, bubbles, wrinkles. Just not worth the extra trouble of weighing them. One day at 150 and 170 yards, I shot them +/- 4 to 6 grains, not a damn thing changed.

Wow, there goes that theory.  Never would have thought that it wouldn't affect shot groups being that much different in weight.  Did they load any different?  I had one at the range last week that only went down the bore because I hammered it in ....literally.   :shock:  Didn't get a chance to measure it but, sure seems likely is was larger than .495". 
I'm gong to put that theory to the test next trip to the range.  I  plan to shoot all 3 ball weights and see if I'm wasting my time weighing them.  Some folks make a strong case for it and haven't heard too many argue against it. 
I've done my share of reloading but, most always with factory bullets.  The exception was my replica (Pedersoli) Remington Rolling Block in 45-70.  I cast my own bullets for it and used 70gr of 3F in the cartridge with varied results.  There weren't too many mold sizes available for that bullet  back then and I didn't have a resizing die so, some those bullets were so tight in the chamber I had to tap them into the chamber with a leather mallet.  :)  It was loads of fun to shoot but, I didn't win any matches with it.
I'll let you know how it works out.  It may turn out to be a "hair-splitting" endeavor.

Back