Muzzle Loader Building Project

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilljack1

Reaction score
Please excuse me I am trying to figure out the process for posting....And has held me up a bit...

YMHS
Hilljack

Well this will be the only scratchy piece to try and get the basics down...I will be switching over to other projects which have a better picture of the process...This will be to show some of the basically unseen considerations of the project.

Basic%20Definitions_zps1i1mnmwd.jpg
/

Layout%20of%20Basic%20Stock_zpsdlvirfmn.jpg

Blank%20Grain%20Position_zpshon6rxrp.jpg

Thank you for yo0ur patience I had to figure out how to post, it has been a while.

YMHS
Hilljack

Here is the first set where the stock is layed out and cut from a piece of walnut...The first item to be accomplished is to layout the barrel with the centerline being slightly off to account for castoff and the lock mortise.

1_zpsigdmzcdw.jpg

2_zpsoewv82hy.jpg

3_zpsbuxmnt6v.jpg

5_zps32cluozf.jpg

6_zpsa6eavwm7.jpg

11_zpsl4e4sqxb.jpg

As you can see in the last photo the barrel has been blackened with lamp soot from a kerosene lantern to show the areas needed to be removed. This is a swamped barrel and required a lot more work than a straight barrel as will be shown later.

Hilljack

Here is the first set where the stock is layed out and cut from a piece of walnut...The first item to be accomplished is to layout the barrel with the centerline being slightly off to account for castoff and the lock mortise.

1_zpsigdmzcdw.jpg

2_zpsoewv82hy.jpg

3_zpsbuxmnt6v.jpg

5_zps32cluozf.jpg

6_zpsa6eavwm7.jpg

11_zpsl4e4sqxb.jpg

As you can see in the last photo the barrel has been blackened with lamp soot from a kerosene lantern to show the areas needed to be removed. This is a swamped barrel and required a lot more work than a straight barrel as will be shown later.

Hilljack

Sorry about the double posting...Still learning...

Parts information
Colrain "A" Profile 38" long 40 cal.
Walnut stock blank
English grip rail that was modified with a hook
Early English Butt plate
L&R Late English Lock
Front sight handmade
Rear Sight Custom made

The rifle was conceived partially from a rifle on an Auction and the rest was from my research and style that works. I won't try and tell any one that it is a copy of an original...But the rifle shoots well and is a pleasure to hold.

Hilljack

Whoooahhhh.... (A bit of hushed silence)

Whoooahhh... (I needed another)

This is gonna take some time to let it sink in fully....

I am gonna need a 'bigger boat.' Gonna borrow some shop space at work. 
I am pretty certain they will let me play with their tools.

So, find an unsuspecting big ole block of high quality wood that looks like nothing 
so it won't scare you. Then hack it down a bit at a time. Get a kerosene lamp. Get a 
wood chisel. What kind? :?:

It has been a while since my pine wood derby days... But, I did make a mean racer!

Cub_Scout_Pinewood_Derby_start_zpst2tvzlgq.jpg

Pick a rifle style you feel comfortable holding to shoulder. Copy, copy, copy. If it ain't broke, 
don't fix the style. Get/choose a barrel. Swamped is more fun to shoot, but harder to build. 
I think no swamped for now.

I am wrapping my head around it all. Fun.

Great pics! Great Sketches!

Thanks boy that is high cotton....The next sequence of events once the barrel is down, it dictates where the lock is positioned and right after that the location of the triggers...Then you can work on castoff and Length of pull...

19_zpsiji0oztq.jpg

23_zpsjovndme6.jpg

27_zpsld4ny08q.jpg

30_zpsejyg1cwu.jpg

31_zps9zp803qp.jpg

When you get ready to inlet the lock mortise you need to disassemble the lock and set the outline, being careful to align it with the end of the breech plug so the vent will hit on the lock in the right area...Also it is need to keep the lock plate in alignment with the barrel for a good tight seal...The you can begin to shape the wrist and butt of the rifle, along with the forearm and set up for the ram rod channel....Not taking away from the kits, but this takes a bunch of the labor intensive work out...

All of this is way too advanced for me. I'll let the craftsmen do their thing. They won't have to worry about competition from me.

Just trying to show a different side...And there are basically 5 different groups in muzzleloading.....

Re Enactors...Pretty self explanatory
Builders...The skilled artisans who produce wonderful pieces of art
Shooter....The people that use the builders art and make it perform to high levels
Builders that shoot...Rare bird that can make his art perform wonderfully.
Shooters that build...An individual that from necessity builds very nice pieces and makes it perform exceptional levels.

Now on to the next phase...
The barrel is held into stock with tenons on the underside of the barrel, depending on the thickness of the barrel and type whether the tenons are dovetailed in or soldered. I personally don't like to dovetail a barrel if wall thickness goes below about 3/16. then I use low melt silver solder....And even attached sight bases on the top of barrels and under ribs....

The barrel needs to be held inplace while you are inletting the lock mortis and trigger and that is done with the barrel tenons and the tang screw once the tang has been inletted fully....Look in the lower right part of the picture and you can see one of the stock pins...

39_zpsm3azicnb.jpg

As the lock plate is inletted the wrist, forearm and stock need to begin the process of shaping to make sure they are in the correct proportions and location. The lock hasn't been assembled yet for final work down, it is very important to make sure the lock plate matches with the barrel both vertically and horizontally...I have found that at this point it is easiest to drill the lock plate with the correct drill for the tap...This process is the easiest done in a drill press and making sure that the barrel is level and drill through the lock plate and stock...This also positions the area opposite the lock mortise for a plate...With the next group I will show you a simple tool to assist aligning the drilling of the tang screw through the lock plate...

Thank You for reading my thoughts and opinions...

YMHS
Hilljack

I am to. Not that I would ever build one but its still neat to watch this. Man that block of wood went to looking like a rifle real quick. What was the time frame from the full block down to this current picture? Al

Well first things first... The gentleman you saw was my friend Dave that was helping me, now here is a current picture of me...

Bubba%20and%20Big%20Pig_zpszrgpqez7.jpg

Depending if it is a swamped barrel or a straight the time element can vary from 2 to 4 weeks...Mainly when I get to the final phase I use cabinet scrapers to smooth and make the final changes to the stock...For anyone interested I have complete sets of pictures that show the process for pistols also...I didn't show the complete set due to the fact it is kind of boring because some of the changes are very small...And I didn't go over stains and final finishes...These are some of my thoughts because there are many trails to get to the same result...Of the 5 types I listed before, I am of the last group, because I wanted to be able to be competitive, and It was hard shooting most of the factory rifles, so I opted to build my own and the disease took off from there...So here is the final results...All total time working in the evenings and week ends was somewhere around 2 months...

60_zpsygrtjzhc.jpg

59_zpslej5zi3v.jpg

57_zpsflvbhfi7.jpg

56_zpsxvcx6x9h.jpg

55_zpslnnciizr.jpg

Again Thanks for you reading my thoughts and opinions...Will be posting a target soon to see how the rifle does...

YMHS
Hilljack

Dude... this is great!

I, for one, would love to see the detailed pistol pics. 
I doubt I would be alone. Your rifle pics went from 
big ole block of sorta rifle shaped wood to, SHAZAM! 
Sweet looking rifle... 

(Where did you find that block o wood?)

Where did the cabinet scrappers go? Surely you did not hand sand 
all that down. What tools did you use? What about the bluing? How many 
divorces did the effort cost you?

Nice pig, too! I have already seen you in person even though 
I did not know it at the time. :D

Hell, invite me again and let me come up and be awed. I promise 
not to drink all your beer!

I can't tell whether the barrel is left in the white or is slightly browned (or gray). It doesn't look blued at all.
How heavy did it turn out to be?

The barrel is left in the white to naturally develop a patina and the weight is some where about 7 1/2 pounds and it handles and holds wonderfully, Looking forward to shooting it in the State Shoot in April 8, 9, 10th....The wood I pickup in my journeys, I have a plank of eucalyptus I may try and make something...

If I post a series on a pistol build do you want a narration or wait for questions...I have both rifle and pistol builds, let me know your choice...

No you are right about not sanding, I prefer to use scrapers, to me they bring on a better glow in the wood and then for the final piece I use a piece of deer antler and burnish the stock which brings out a very nice finish...

One thing I forgot to mention was the triggers used on this build are reverse set, push the front one forward until it sets and shoot the rear one, just like the Patriot...It places your hand and finger in a more comfortable position...

That's ok Colonel your welcome at anytime (beer included) I would appreciate your company...And BigAl52 I did post the scary picture...ME!!!!!

YMHS
Hilljack

"One thing I forgot to mention was the triggers used on this build are reverse set, push the front one forward until it sets and shoot the rear one, just like the Patriot...It places your hand and finger in a more comfortable position..."

That always messes me up when I first shoot my Patriot after a lay-off of a couple of months. (Except the Patriot doesn't have a reverse set where you push forward to set it, the set trigger is just up front.)

Hilljack said:
If I post a series on a pistol build do you want a narration or wait for questions...I have both rifle and pistol builds, let me know your choice...

That's ok Colonel your welcome at anytime (beer included) I would appreciate your company...And BigAl52 I did post the scary picture...ME!!!!!

YMHS
Hilljack
I like my stories with pictures... Plus, your writing clues me into what I don't know -even if you do not know I 
don't know. Then I can look it up.

We will make a visit happen. :cheers: That will be fun. I will try to be at the state shoot and maybe we can talk about it?

Latest posts

Back