Muzzle loader Scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is also recommended that you not use a lead sled. that will destroy alot of scopes.
Not only have they destroyed a lot of scopes, there's also been a lot of broken stocks from shooting on them. You can read it on just about every site associated with muzzlelaoding.

The numbers of rings and mounts torn up from using a sled is also pretty high, especially if using a heavier scope. All builders are now pinning the rails to keep them from loosening up under just general recoil.

I don't use a sled of any kind, but as an example of recoil and what it can do, I'm shooting 120grs VOLUME of BH209 and 350gr bullets, and I've had my rail with lots of Loctite on it, and #8 screws loosen up twice, both times during competitions, where the only rear support allowed is the shoulder. A Harrell's FG rail is now on my rifle to stop that in the future. So, recoil can loosen up things, destroy and/or break things and it doesn't have to be on a sled. Sleds are just another contributing factor.

Seen a guy take a brand new and quality Buriss right out of the box and in just 3 rounds from a production muzzleloader, busted the erector system in it. No weight was used on the sled, yet it busted it within 3 rounds.

I'm sure there will be one out there somewhere, but of the most custom muzzleloader builders I know will tell you not to use a sled. Learn to shoot from a front rest, bipod and a rear bag. Better yet, no rear support.

Rifle scopes have set parallax @ 100 yards or 150 yards.Some muzzle loader scopes have the parallax set at 50 or 75 yards.Some muzzle loader scopes offer a little longer eye relief.Make sure you check out the specs. and the cal. rating.A well made rifle scope will work fine.choose the reticle you like.I don't use, or like, or have any bdc reticles.

Rifle scopes have set parallax @ 100 yards or 150 yards.Some muzzle loader scopes have the parallax set at 50 or 75 yards.Some muzzle loader scopes offer a little longer eye relief.Make sure you check out the specs. and the cal. rating.A well made rifle scope will work fine.choose the reticle you like.I don't use, or like, or have any bdc reticles.
I'd suggest purchasing a scope with the side parallax adjustment. Slightly more in cost, and many have extended eye relief.

I only know of the airguns having issues with a optical sight. The weird kind of double pulse effect from the airgun can wreak havoc with some scopes but not all. Which is why they have airgun rated scopes for them. I have never seen a muzzleloader having a problem with scopes.

I only know of the airguns having issues with a optical sight. The weird kind of double pulse effect from the airgun can wreak havoc with some scopes but not all. Which is why they have airgun rated scopes for them. I have never seen a muzzleloader having a problem with scopes.
Hang around ;)

Years ago, I liked the Nikon Monarch scopes, basically because of the clarity. However, I can not tell you how many of those Monarch scopes Nikon replaced for me. I just threw one out the other day.
I've even busted Leupold scopes, especially the VX series. Busted one and sent it in for repairs, that took almost 4mo to get back. In just a few rounds, the erector system went out again. Long story shortened, Leupold refunded my purchase price and I switched to Nightforce. It's the only brand of scope that hasn't went all to heck on me, yet, and I have an NXS that was on my muzz and now is on a Bushmaster, and an Atacr on my muzzleloader.
The Nightforce holds up to extremely heavy charges of BH and also heavy charges of SML.

Nightforce optics are way way out of my price range and most of the general ML community.Lets get real here.I think the Leupold ultimate slam mentioned by jd245.48 would be great for the average Joe!
One doesn't have to buy a Nightforce and it wasn't implied that he or anyone had to.

It's what.... I did ...... to fix an on going problem with many other brands of scopes. When a guy mentions that he doesn't know of a scope being broken on a muzz, a couple points were made that it happens and with different brands. I just told him what I did to correct MY issues with broken scopes.

Ok .I understand.I hope your scope issues are resolved.I ment no ill will.Hope ya have a happy holiday.
No ill will taken :)

And I do understand that most can't afford, or won't spend for expensive scopes. Although they are less likely to break, they do on occasion.

Most of my reasoning is because I shoot more than 98% of the members. That in itself has a lot to do with why scopes have broken so many times for me. And I don't use a sled of any kind. Its very easy for me to shoot 150 rounds over just a weekend.
I'm not rich either. Just saved while working. Spending it while we still can. LOL

If I had it, I would spend it TOO.If I was shooting that much it would be smart to invest in a product that would hold up.
I have an older Bushnell Trophy 1-3/4-4x32 with the circle x reticle and it's been an excellent scope! I've had it on several different muzzleloaders without any issues. I don't know if they still make em or not!

I just gave a 3x9-40 Bushnell with a circle x reticle to a hunting buddy to put on his new ML.He commented on how much he liked the reticle.It was on a 54 cal. Night for many years,It's still working great.

I just gave a 3x9-40 Bushnell with a circle x reticle to a hunting buddy to put on his new ML.He commented on how much he liked the reticle.It was on a 54 cal. Night for many years,It's still working great.
I really like the circle x reticle! I had a 3x9x40 with the Doa reticle and it was ok but I preferred the circle x reticle!

Thanks for asking the question. I'd heard the same thing at a local gun shop and was 99% sure it wasn't true.

Latest posts

Back