MUZZLE PORTING?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZITON

Reaction score
HI
I'm planning to get a savage 10ml-II soon. I would love to get the barrel ported if possible. Does anyone know if this has been done on muzzle loader? Any info any info offered on porting will be appreciated.
thanks
ZITON

RandyWakeman said:
Strongly not recommended by Henry Ball. :?
Thanks RW that was what I was wondering. I guess sabots would pose a problem right?
ziton

I've been down this road already and and I didn't like the ride at all. I owned a Browning A-Bolt with the Boss and every time I shot a deer it would take two days for the ringing in my ears to go away. Needless to say I didn't keep that gun too many years before unloading it. :cry: I personally will not have another firearm with a break.

Zit, Pass on this idea,this is a no win situation. Absorb the recoil by other means.The punishment your ear drums take, is just not worth it. I think you will find that the Sav.is not that bad to shoot anyway.

Back about 10 or so years (maybe more) Knight had a model they called the "PLB"...pure lead bullet...Such as Buffalo, T/C Maxis, Hornady Great Plains and others. This rifle had a muzzle brake. If you plan on shooting only heavy bore size lead conicals the brake will reduce recoil at the expense of your hearing unless you wear ear protection far ALL shots.

A friend had one and decided he wanted to shoot sabots. We shot it a few times with sabots and concluded real quick that this brake destroyed sabots and their accuracy. Could not shoot a 2 foot group at 50 yards. I don't recall if the brake was screwed on or sweated on but we did get it off and the rifle shot sub 2 inch groups at 100 yards with sabots.

I believe Traditions currently has a model with a brake or ported barrel. I don't have a clue how the rifles and sabots are working out.

Just cause I've got to be a smart horses back end, I've been the guy next to a guy shooting with a break on to many times, I'll never do that to someone else, but recoil is why I only shoot 90 gr in my ML and my favorite CFs are a 7mm08 and a 7 x 57

2 Benelli mercury recoil reducers and a Simms recoil pad go a long way towards taming the already relatively gentle recoil of the 10-ML2(with most loads). Having researched/tried many loads over the last 6 years, I still believe it is hard to beat 42g VV-110 or 43g 4759 with HPH12/250SST, and though not a book load it has been posted here so many times, 300SST/Barnes with 55-60g VV-120. With these loads and the recoil reduction items I've mentioned the ML2 feels like a 243 shooting a 70 NBT(very little recoil).

Has anyone else shot a ported barrel muzzleloader?
I've shot a few sabot bullet combo's, that if that was all I shot, I would conclude that muzzleloader was not worth my time. It seem that it take me awhile to tune a muzzleloader to shoot for me with Barnes bullets. :oops: So was it the sabot or was it the porting?? According to my wife I'm deaf already,too many shots fired without ear muffs....
:shock:
RAZORBACK said:
Back about 10 or so years (maybe more) Knight had a model they called the "PLB"...pure lead bullet...Such as Buffalo, T/C Maxis, Hornady Great Plains and others. This rifle had a muzzle brake. If you plan on shooting only heavy bore size lead conicals the brake will reduce recoil at the expense of your hearing unless you wear ear protection far ALL shots.

A friend had one and decided he wanted to shoot sabots. We shot it a few times with sabots and concluded real quick that this brake destroyed sabots and their accuracy. Could not shoot a 2 foot group at 50 yards. I don't recall if the brake was screwed on or sweated on but we did get it off and the rifle shot sub 2 inch groups at 100 yards with sabots.

I believe Traditions currently has a model with a brake or ported barrel. I don't have a clue how the rifles and sabots are working out.

dwhunter said:
I've been down this road already and and I didn't like the ride at all. I owned a Browning A-Bolt with the Boss and every time I shot a deer it would take two days for the ringing in my ears to go away. Needless to say I didn't keep that gun too many years before unloading it. :cry: I personally will not have another firearm with a break.

I had a friend with an A-bolt in 30-06. I came with two boss. One was a muzzle break and the other a straight tube. He used the break on the range while wearing ear protection and used the other for hunting. No muzzle blast from that one.

RAF said:
dwhunter said:

I had a friend with an A-bolt in 30-06. I came with two boss. One was a muzzle break and the other a straight tube. He used the break on the range while wearing ear protection and used the other for hunting. No muzzle blast from that one.

I had that solid tube also but finally got tired of that crap hanging on the end of the barrel and sold it.

The only advantage to the boss system as I saw it was you could dial in the accuracy. I made him some reloads that were right at the max suggested by my manual. We got 2970 FPS with `50 grain spitzer boat tail and he shot one hole groups.

RAF said:
The only advantage to the boss system as I saw it was you could dial in the accuracy. I made him some reloads that were right at the max suggested by my manual. We got 2970 FPS with `50 grain spitzer boat tail and he shot one hole groups.

Sure can't argue with the accuracy it was like you say one holer. :wink:

Yup and I've been tempted to unload my Remington Model 4 and get one but hate to part with the cash :? .

dwhunter wrote
I owned a Browning A-Bolt with the Boss and every time I shot a deer it would take two days for the ringing in my ears to go away.

I've had 2 A-bolts for about 12 years now and I love them, and they'll shoot any bullet at less than a MOA. I didn't get them for recoil reduction as much as, I got them for one gun does all capability.
BTW, I hear just fine and the sound doesn?t bother me at all, although when I go to the public range the guys next to me get a bit bent :lol:

Back