Muzzleloader satchel or wallet?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluerock

Reaction score
I have just bought my first muzzleloader (T/C Omega 50cal.) I have taken it out to the range and ran half a dozen loads through it. The winds here in Ks. were around 30mph and very gusty so it was hard to get steady even with a good solid bench. Oh well, I will have a lot of time to practice before ML season here in Ks. that starts in Sept.

My problem is that I am looking at all of the supplies I will probably be carrying into the field and am wondering about organizing it all so that it remains secure and accessable in a tree stand. I will be carrying: 1. 209 Primers, 2. Pyrodex Pellets, 3. Bullets and Sabots, 4. Patches, 5. Cleaning Jags, 6. Priming tool, 7. Patch puller, 8. Bullet Puller and probably a power handle of some kind. I want something that won't let all of this stuff make noise by rattling against each other. Ease of access is a concern as I will need to be able to access it in a tree stand and I don't want to be thrashing around up there trying to get at my stuff. Lastly I want something that holds all of the stuff securely and won't let the accessories fall out and get lost.

I have a camo fanny pack that has worked will for Turkey hunting but I would still need a way to organise all of the supplies in the fanny pack. I have seen the T/C quickshot tubes and that may be a good way to organise bullets, sabots, powder, and primers but then I have to have a way to organise them.

Anyone have any ideas?

I will be carrying: 1. 209 Primers, 2. Pyrodex Pellets, 3. Bullets and Sabots, 4. Patches, 5. Cleaning Jags, 6. Priming tool, 7. Patch puller, 8. Bullet Puller and probably a power handle of some kind.

1. 209 Primers - I keep em in a pill bottle.

2. Pyrodex Pellets - Buy a speedloader that will allow you to keep powder and bullets seperate (ie. two compartments).

3. Bullets and Sabots - See #2

4. Patches - I use Advantix film cases although pill bottles would work also. I carry 2, 1 for dry patches and 1 for wet patches. I label them for convienance

5. Cleaning Jags - Definitely something you'll need. Keep it in a ziplock with the priming tool, patch puller, and bullet puller.

6. Priming tool - See above

7. Patch puller - See above

8. Bullet Puller - See above

probably a power handle of some kind - Get one of these: http://www.xssights.com/store/blackpowder.html It'll save you having to carry an additional item. I believe you'll need a 25 1/2" rod, measure your factory ramrod to be sure.

I keep my goodies in a Remington possibles bag. I don't know if you'll be able to find one but anything similar would work. Here's a pic of mine (with me in it I'm afraid). I'm the ugly one on the left. :oops:
wolfpig.jpg

I know someone who uses the little allen belt packs for muzzleloading. They work well also. I've got a few of them but I don't know for sure if I like em or not. I like my possibles bag better. I also have a fanny pack somewhere that I tried. I'm not sure where it is and that should tell you something in itself. :wink:

Good advise Patrick.

I use a fanny pack, but I had my wife sew in elastic bands into the edges. That way everything stays secure and where it is suppose to with no rattles. :)

Bluerock, I bought a shotshell wallet from here:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

and some plastic powder vials from here:
http://members.aol.com/randymagic/ballltd.htm

This makes a neat little package you can almost carry in your pocket. The powder vials will handle 2, 300 grn XTP's with short black sabo's and 43 grains of AA5744 only fills them about half full. Not sure about Pyrodex Pellets, the vials are ~.560 inside at the top and ~ 1.95 tall. You can get 5 or 6 209 primers in a vial. I made up a little "T" handle for my ramrod that will slip right into one of the loops in the wallet. I will carry that walletr in a shoulder bag (a large fanny pack) I normally carry deer gear in.

Some of that stuff you might could leave in the truck, depending on your situation.

Quickloader

2. Pyrodex Pellets - Buy a speedloader that will allow you to keep powder and bullets seperate (ie. two compartments).

Patrick,

What's your favorite a good speed/quickloader?

Re: Quickloader

skamaniac said:

Patrick,

What's your favorite a good speed/quickloader?

I like these. They have 2 compartments and a short stub which acts as a short starter. I don't know where you'd find them though as I got em at Walmart one year and I never saw em again. :x I'da bought more if I'd known. The clear ones sold by CVA aren't worth using. The plastic caps don't seal them well enough.

speedloader.jpg

Pre soaked round patches can be kept in a empty snuff can. I use 50/50 windex/ isoprofol alcohol(sp).

Matt

Thanks to all! I now have some ideas about how to organize my supplies while keeping them secure and quiet.

Bluerock

Back