My first Bow(tech) Buck!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doohan

Reaction score
Antelopehunt020.jpg

Antelopehunt023.jpg

Story to follow!

Thanks JD for the help!!!!!

That's great, JJ! Looks like the watering hole payed off. He looks like a big bodied deer for sure and I can't wait to hear the story....

WAY to GO JJ! That's one beautiful BUCK!

I'm coming bowhunting with YOU next year! 8)

Way to go Doohan!! That's awesome....I can hardly wait to hear the story!! :yeah:

:lol:

OK..

It all started Sunday when I spent 4-5 hours in the afternoon setting up my 2nd stand in new location I thought showed some promise. As I was scouting along the edge of the woods, I came up to a point where the bean field and corn fields met. At that junction along the woods I found a well used water hole. :lol: :lol: So I set up my new stand as close as I could get to the water, cut as many shooting lanes as I could Later verified at about 28yds to the far side. Time ran out and I didn't get to hunt Sunday night.

Monday rolls around and yesterday was as MONDAY as they get. All day I planned on getting home at a decent time and getting to my new stand. I got held up late and didn't get to my stand until almost 6:30 :cry:

By the time I got settled in and got my gear situated, I was really scolding myself for not just waiting until Tuesday night instead of running out so late and expecting to see anything! Time passes rather slowly and I pass the time glassing the surrounding fields and ranging some landmarks on the ground where I feel a shot might present itself. By now the day is fleeting and the mosquitos are biting the heck out of my hands.. So I put my gloves on and again scold myself coming out with such little time. At one point, I put my head in my hands and rub my eyes as I am sure I have no chance to see ANYTHING tonight, I have maybe 10 minutes of legal light left. As I raise my head from my hands, there he is!! :shock: I can't believe it! He just crested the hill and is heading straight at me. I laser him and he is at 68yds and heading straight at me. He is milling around and feeding as he slowly walks toward me and his watering hole. :D He's getting within 40 yds and won 't quite put his head down long enought for me to stand up..so I fumble with my release again, this time was not as bad as opening day but the gloves add difficulty!! With the release on my loop I now need to stand up! I am half out of my chair and crouching when he finally puts his head down again to feed on some of my neighbors beans! By the time I stand up, he is drinking from that little water hole and I have PLENTY of time to take careful aim. I know he is between 26-28yds and I check and double check my form as I have the bow drawn.. then I let it fly! He jumped straight up and ran in a circle then came to a stop directly in front of me, maybe 15-20 yds. I am staring to wonder if I missed?? :evil: Then I know he was hit good, he starts to twitch as he stands in front of me, then he just falls over dead!

WOW!!! What a rush! He never knew what hit him. He never heard the bow, saw me or had a clue as to what happened!!! It was just amazing! I can't believe how fast he went!! Less than 2 minutes and he was down and out! Unbelievable!!

Here are a few pics:

bowbuck004.jpg

Future MZ/Bowhunter!!
bowbuck027.jpg

You are all right!!! I am HOOKED!

I looked at my reciept today and I brought my Tribute home on 8/8/06 - My first bow EVER! :lol: 8) :lol: 8) Too cool!!

tribute2.jpg

My bow is a Bowtech Tribute 70#
* Smooth Mods
* CX Maxima Hunter 350's
* 100gr Tekan II mechanicals
* Truglo 3 Pin site
* QAD Ultra-rest Pro - drop away rest
* Sims S-Coil
* Kwikee 6 arrow quiver

Arrows are about 405gr @ 283-285 fps.

Thanks guys, you all have no idea how much you helped me in that short 2 months!!!!

CONGRATS JJ on that beautiful Bowtech BUCK!!! Any deer taken with a bow is a trophy especially a fine buck like that one!! :yeah:

Enjoyed ur report & great pics there. A very fine lookin Son there which im sure will help the ole Man in coming years! :lol:

GREAT story JJ! I know you are STILL as excited as can be!

I'm STILL wanted a new bow!(for WHAT I have NO idea! :lol: )

Thanks for all the nice comments and remarks guys! :lol:

I gotta say, this wasn't the MONSTER I missed on opening day. He is still running free but has moved a bit North of me. Maybe when rut comes around JD will stick him? :lol:

Chuck, if you are considering a new bow... Don't shoot mine in KY!! :lol:

..... and yeah, I was and still am pretty excited about the whole thing! Bad part is my season is over. We get one deer a year period in the zone I live in. I can't wait till next year!

Wow JJ that is a great story! Congratulations on your buck! He does look huge. Do you know how much he weighed? I have never killed anything with my bow but I know what a great accomplishment that must be. When it happens like your story did and everything goes perfectly it is an awsome experience. I know you will never forget that one. Your scouting and preparation really paid off!

Back