My New Pursuit LT

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lsrpm

Reaction score
I had to make a decison, and I went for what I could afford comfortably.

It is too cold here to go out and shoot right now, but today I picked up my Traditions Pursuit LT.

I also picked up a powder flask(I am gonna try Triple 7 loose) powder measure, some Hornady 250 Grain (the ones with a hollow point)and some Nosler sabots. plus the powder and cleaning kit

While I could not shoot I did take a closer look at things. I am wondering whether I got the right sabots. The Hornady bullets go so far into the sabot before they are seated on the bottom that the top of the bullet is flush with the top of the opening in the sabot. Is that normal? Should the bullet tip not stick out a bit? The part # on the sabots is 50096

Can't wait to shoot this thing! Gotta clean and lube it though, and wait for the weather

please advise as to the sabot length

The short black sabots from MMP are the ones you want. If you can't find them in the gun shops, you can get them from Precision Rifle on line.
Before you shoot the rifle, make sure you have cleaning supplies. You have to clean the rifle soon after you shot it or risk corrosion damage to your rifle. Good luck.

so did the store sell me the wrong sabots?

I did not get the package with bullets and sabots together, but separated packages

If they are the wrong ones I can return them

By the way, I am not gonna fire a shot until I have cleaning supplies in hand. The store just did not have a blackpowder cleaning kit. I don't have to have it, but I like the idea of a kit.

I have the shooting supplies I need, assuming I fix the confusion over the sabots, and I have breech plug lube

What cleaning materials must I have to do a decent job? Barrel lubricant? Maybe something like Break Free Clip?

When I said it was too cold I meant for at least a month. -40 with the wind chill. Ouch

please advise as to the sabot length

Oh, I think those are fine. The Nosler sabots are more than likely made by MMP...it sounds as if they are HPH-12s or 24s. Start with 90gr ffg Triple Se7en loose with the 250gr XTP.. Be sure to give us a report of how your range trip goes!

Your sabot package should have marked on it some place 50cal, 45cal 451/452 bullet OR 50 cal,44cal 429/430 bullet.
Your bullet box should say some thing like 45cal. 430dia. HP XTP.
The point being if the box of bullets dia match what the package of sabots say they are for you are fine.
My 45cal, 451da. HP XTP bullets stick just below the top of my mag express sabots but shoot just fine.

:D Al

Big 6 X 6 is probably right about them being HPH 12's or 24's. If you're uncomfortable about their length, you can clip them. Use a pair of nail clippers, slip each petal in until it won't go any further and snip them off. That way all the petals will be the same length. It's not necessary to do this and won't affect accuracy.

the pursuit lt shoots well [i had one for 3 months] after shooting it 60 or 70 odd times i damaged the ALLOY receiver beyond repair..also the firing pin would hit the primer off center and some times the primer would not go off [the deer loved that] i suggest that you fire a couple of primers just to check it out ..i now have a PURSUIT PRO the receiver is made out of steel [ next muzzleloader will be a T/C for sure]

OK, I got the cleaning supplies. Not much, but a decent black powder cleaning kit.

Now I have all the basics. I want to do things right. I currently have everything stored in my gun safe. What are my first steps?

I will go through whatever steps needed. Just tell me

First step should be to read the manual untill you under stand it and the workings of your rifle. Most manuals recommend starter loads and max loads.
That is a good start point.
Clean the rifles bore real wel and go to the shooting range. Use the information in the manual to load and shoot the rifle. Once you get the hang of the basics, start trying to find the sweet load for your rifle.

:D Al

Take heart. The weather network says going to get warmer next weekend, temps around the freezing mark. Might see some melting here. Your weather should be a day behind ours.

taureau noir said:
Black Powder,How is the Puisuit Pro shooting?

sorry about the late reply ..the pro shoots very well ,much better than the lt ..but the PRO is 2" longer ..for the price it,s a good deal ..

I got a chance to sight in my new LT.

got it on the paper at 25 yds then tried jumping out to 100 yards. Nowhere on the 3 foot target. So I went back to 50 yds, got it on paper, then out to 100.

should not have skipped a step

BTW stuffing the muzzle was/is still tough. When I tried with the full length of the nosler sabots I bought the ram spread out the plastic and it got in a bind between ram and barrel.

I clipped back the sabots a little and things were ok. But then I broke the ram off right at the threads on a cold day out on the range. I had no short starter and I guess I was holding the rod a little high as I applied pressure. Snap!

which meant the reversable end now has the threads broken off inside it, and the threaded end is missing from the rest of the rod, making it useless.

I went to Wholesale Sports and picked up a replacement rod meant for the tc encore, I believe. It has that little t handle at the end, which is easier to use than the original rod. But it has a female end on the business end so even if I was able to remove the threads from the original I would not be able to use the bullet starter that was orinigal. So I got a diferent bullet starter end. Brass with a male thread to work with the new rod.

And the trouble with that is the new end goes further down the profile of the Hornady XTPs I am using, and again push the lips of the sabot out so they bind

Bad luck several ways. But basically I don't think I like the Noslers. I will have to cut them back more to make them work. Should have gone with aother sabot with much shorter lips/petals, whatever you call them.

Anyone have suggestions re the sabots?

Where can I get an LT rod? I actually like the TC rod. Its easier to use. I will continue to use it at the range, but hunting, I need the real thing meant for my gun I think.

BTW, I cut down the broken one to about 8 inches, and am using the femail end from what was the top originally to screw in a bullet starter tip. Then drilled a hole in a golf ball the right size and stuck it on the other end. Instant short starter! Works great

Latest posts

Back