My Small Knife Collection - Nothing Special

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRC

Reaction score
I don't harbor a great love of knives, but I did need at least one to complement my fur trader outfit. As usual, I started to buy just the knives I had an immediate need for. Then, I saw a knife with an attractive handle of bone or antler and bought it. And bought another, then another. Here are the ones I have now:
rons_k10.jpg

The third from the right is a folding knife. The second from the left is my main knife and came with my first flintlock purchase. The fifth from the right was done by Dave Slusser and the beatiful tiger striping is not visible in this exposure. Dave does fine work. The one at the top, center is another useful blade.

The most authentic knife you have in your pile is the "Plain Jane" butcher knife on the far left Ron. There are more of them in collections, museums and articles written about knives than anything else. Museum of the Fur Trade (Chardon NE), Museum of Man (Quebec CA) and the Mountain Man Museum (Pinedale WY) and every spot in between has grosses of originals. That knife has been around in different shapes and lengths for centuries here and in Europe.

The rest are "Johnny Come Latelys" .....

Nice personal collection RonC.  Antler handle blades are ALWAYS an eye catcher for me.  I also like the one with the wide blade with custom sheath!

oldknives.jpg
Here's some old knives that were thrown in on trades, nothing special, just workers for years. Now for sale on ebay with other old tools. Sorry for poor picture, old shop camera has been working up.​

Poor pic but really interesting.  Amazing how, in those days, nothing got replaced until it was thorouhly spent.

Pretty sad that we have grown into a "throw away society", other countries would live quite nicely on our trash.  :cry:

Buck Conner said:
Pretty sad that we have grown into a "throw away society"  :cry:
This is SPOT ON! I bought a push mower a few years ago as my Old one of 18-20 years was Wore out, it had a slightly bent shaft, and The Motor had a Knock. It was time for a New one! I found one that looked almost identical to my old one so i bought it. When i pulled this new one out of the Box, i stood there looking at it, I had to Laugh!! What a Flimsy POS! It had a Briggs motor just like the Old mower, EXCEPT the New one had a Plastic “Throw Away” Carburetor on it :lol!:  Talk about PATHETIC in every way! The new motor did Run good for a couple days then Started acting up (wasn’t getting Fuel) I Contacted Briggs, They sent me out another Plastic Carburetor :D  Sure Enough that was it, She runs like a Top now. What a PILE OF GARBAGE! LOL! 

The Frame of the New Mower wasnt worth the Paint Covering it, I could of EASILY Bent the Frame by standing on it, NO JOKE! I pulled the Motor from the Brand New mower Deck and Bolted it on my Old Mower Deck, The Brand new Handlebars, and New Mower Deck went to the Garbage dump. It’s a Sad World we live in!!

We have odds n ends antique stuff throughout our House that we use Daily, The Craftsmanship that went in to some of this Old Antique stuff is TRULY AMAZING, Most of this Old Stuff was Built to Last MANY lifetimes if Cared for, Even abused. There was Genuine PRIDE that went in to this Old Stuff, NOT THE CASE This Day n Age!

Idaholewis said:
Buck Conner said:
Pretty sad that we have grown into a "throw away society"  :cry:
We have odds n ends antique stuff throughout our House that we use Daily, The Craftsmanship that went in to some of this Old Antique stuff is TRULY AMAZING, Most of this Old Stuff was Built to Last MANY lifetimes if Cared for, Even abused. There was Genuine PRIDE that went in to this Old Stuff, NOT THE CASE This Day n Age!
Amen Lewis ...

Here's a small collection a friend collected around Raton NM years ago Marty. We firgured they were late Indian period into the Viva period of time. Probably 1880's -1900.

old-knives.jpg

Some interesting gear here. It is funny how you might acquire something, like a wind up wall clock with a strike, then before you know it , a house full of ticking chiming striking clocks, they acquire you !! long story, but much like these knife collections, I am not really a collector but stuff just draws to you !!

I too never had a special fondness for blades. This is somewhat ironic as I trained with them for many years. For this reason most of the ones in my collection are more or less combat related. Still I do have some old carbon steel butcher knives and a couple of carbon steel folders. One of the butcher knives was ready to accept a antler handle but all my antler material was lost in our move. I do have quite a hoard even after giving away many of them prior to moving. I need to see about gathering all of them for some photos.

I too never had a special fondness for blades. This is somewhat ironic as I trained with them for many years. For this reason most of the ones in my collection are more or less combat related. Still I do have some old carbon steel butcher knives and a couple of carbon steel folders. One of the butcher knives was ready to accept a antler handle but all my antler material was lost in our move. I do have quite a hoard even after giving away many of them prior to moving. I need to see about gathering all of them for some photos.
How big of a piece of antler would you want for this handle? And what general shape and handle style are you looking at?

Hanshi try an get a section of horn (fairly straight from the base of the horn near skull). That would give the width and about 10 inches long so you can cut the horn length wise making two slabs then use brass rivets to attach the slabs to the blade. Use the original holes in the blade which will make it look like what the old boys did. Good Luck ....

The piece of antler I was intending on using was a piece of the main beam from the skull up about 5". It was a bit curved which made it feel good in the hand. Really, any good piece 5" to 6" long and up to a couple inches in dia would work fine.

Never thought about trying to find a horn; interesting idea.

Latest posts

Back