My sons first buck and second doe

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Underclocked

Reaction score
Today was the firearm opener in Indiana and my almost 9 year old son and I head to Hoosier National Forest. We hunted the same stand he took his first deer in this year and two weeks ago I shot a nice 11 point with my bow. We get n the stand and 1/2 hour after legal shooting light he tells me "I'm not feeling it for this spot today".  He wants to get down and get chairs and sit n some random place so if he gets bored he can move. I told him that wasn't going t happen and we need to settle down and hunt this spot. 
Well he was figity and couldn't sit still but stuck it out. At 9:00 a buck crosses the logging trail. It he doesn't see it so I gave 2 grunt calls to the deer and I can hear it working through the thick brush looking for us. He hears the deer walking when it is about 50 yards away and then finds it when it enters the opening. Much like the hunt earlier this year I wonder if he will get the rifle ready and the if he will cock the Apex 45-70 barrel conversion. The loads were 33 grains 4759 and a 200 gran SST in a harvester light blue sabot. He finally makes the shot and the deer is 35 yards away but has walked a bit of an arch around our stand. We heard t crash n thicket he was called out of. 
image_zpsgtvdruw2.jpeg

I tell him we need to stay put in case a doe comes by, sure enough 30 minutes later a doe comes in here gets ready a little quicker this time. He made a great 84 yard shot. We saw her go down after running about 60 yards. He has been learning a lot about hunting this year and is having a blast.

Great story, and congrats to him and you for a great outing together. Looks like you may have lost the APEX to him.

Dave

You are right Dave about me losing the Apex, he has taken 3 deer to my zero with it. I would think it's only fair to pass that one on. Silver lining is now maybe I build a 700 for me. 

Bob he is learning, after all of the hunts I ask him what he has learned. This time he said to stay in the stand after you shoot one. I corrected him and said you have to stay in the stand first. We are having a good year.

Wow! Congratulations to you and a really big one to your son.  He's 9 years old and already shoots as good as I do.  :D  Great pic also, that will be a life time treasure of a memorable moment.

Thanks Joe, this year has been a good one for us for sure.  He also went to Wyoming with me on an Antelope hunt and we got a doe. So he has been on the successful hunt of 3 deer and one lope.  I want to go hunting without him so maybe I can shoot. He might be the lucky rabbits foot though and then I would never hear the end of it.

:cheers: Great job...nice pic! 
i'd be smiling too :!:

Back