NECG N106 - need a little help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot yesterday, 75, 100, and 150yds. With the .250 front sight, Warne base and the n106 at max elevation I was able to get on target. I am using a 6:00 hold though. If you use the center of the fiber, you should have plenty of elevation. My groups weren’t as good as I’d hoped. Slightly over paper plate size. I suppose that’s not terrible for a lightweight gun with irons at 150yds. I do really like the setup though

Thanks for the update, I am going to try the new bases (arrived yesterday) before I replace the front sight. My guess at this point is I will be able to gain enough elevation with the bases alone but it is good to know I have that front sight option still as well. I also really like the NECG peep and I can see the attraction to adding the hood to the front sight. Like you, I prefer the 6:00 o'clock hold, gives a little better sight picture. I am also going to try for a sight in that includes 150 yds but it is a tough sight picture at that distance, especially as my eyes age. I will post up results after I shoot this weekend.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

I actually think you will reduce that 'paper plate' size as you become more familiar with the rifle and shooting that sight system. The 6 0'clock is what I use and what in the end will work best for you. for sighting and rec shooting I use a 6" round bull - cut in half so I can set the bottom half right on top of the fiber optic.

This shows an example of what I am suggesting. I set the black 1/2 diamond right on top of the fiber optic pin.

9-12-Western-Shoot.jpg

Made it to the range today. The change in base heights made a significant difference. I went from out of adjustment on the highside to being below center on the low side. Had plenty of adjustment. I used a lead sled today and actually had some issues with it. I was chasing the windage and elevation around a bit and it finally dawned on me that I was not always mounting the sled the same way. It was king of unnatural so i went back to bags. things settled down and I go close to where I want to be. I was having a little trouble getting the groups to be as tight as I wanted on bags as well, I had a solid, stable rest but I have to admit, the targets I was using were a little hard for me to see at 100. I was using the 6 oclock as discussed by Buzby and sabotloader but the center diamond was hard for me to see and i was always just a hair unsure if I was centered on the diamond, I put my glasses on and that helped some but for some reason this target just did not stand out to me. Anyway, here is my last 3 shots. last 3.jpg

Latest posts

Back