Need a laugh?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Underclocked

Reaction score
Went out to my friend Dave's awhile this afternoon. Re-sighted the Umag with Batchief's trashcans since I have plenty of guns sighted in with toy bullets. :wink: Rifle had been previously sighted in with 200 grain XTPs so I had to tweak the scope up a considerable amount. Took three adjustments to get it where I wanted.

Dave's bench is a homemade affair that is welded tubular steel, most of which is either 2 or 3" in diameter. The seat is an old tractor seat welded to a piece of 2" which sits in a yoke on a pivoting arm of 3". He built it a long time ago. After my third adjustment shot, I raised up away from the rifle to confirm my hit (he was looking through the spotter) and that old tractor seat let go all at once. I went down trying to keep from banging my rifle on anything and prevent as much injury to myself as possible. 300 pounds doesn't take long to reach a concrete slab when in freefall. :shock:

I was lucky as the side of the barrel only contacted one piece of metal in a small spot and left a shallow bright spot which rubbed right out with Scotchbrite. My only injury was a barely skinned thumb. Dave was very concerned whether I was badly hurt (which I could easily have been) but I just sat there on the slab laughing.

Dave took the seat and its support into the shop and put some new welds on it, then we sat and watched The Beverly Hillbillies while the seat cooled.

I then fired these three for group and I have to tell you that I was more than a little concerned about doing a repeat. Maybe that's why the first shot was low. :)

2rmwis3.jpg

Where's a camcorder when ya need one..... :lol: :lol: :wink:

Good shootin'!

Well it is easy to have things happen at the worse time. The main thing is you were not seriously hurt. I saw a person fall over backward once in a lawn chair and ended up doing something to a disc in his neck. I mean he landed in the grass, but he was messed up. glad you were not hurt, and that is some nice shooting.

Bat.. what mold is that you use. Everyone seems to have good luck with them.

Don't need a real pic - the mental one is pretty good :D

Glad you weren't hurt.
Used to be the only thing that worried me doing them things was hurting my pride. Kind of forgotton what pride is.

Steve

cayuga said:
Well it is easy to have things happen at the worse time. The main thing is you were not seriously hurt. I saw a person fall over backward once in a lawn chair and ended up doing something to a disc in his neck. I mean he landed in the grass, but he was messed up. glad you were not hurt, and that is some nice shooting.

Bat.. what mold is that you use. Everyone seems to have good luck with them.

Dave.....It's a custom mould from Mountain Moulds.

I am almost your size and that would suck to have a gun in your hand.

I would of had him weld the crap out of it.

Awesome groups though!

UC,

I am glad you were not in a tree-stand. Still a great group after a shooting bench malfunction.

Chocdog

Glad you got back on the horse! Some lesser men would have been gun-shy to get back on!

I had an experience like that a few years ago....My Darton Maverick bow tossed a cable while I was at full draw. The resulting explosion of limbs, cables, flesh and pride was terrifying! Cost a few bucks to get it rebuilt and although I used it for a few years I was ALWAYS a bit on edge shooting it.

It's gone now.

Good thing you didn't get hurt or whack your gun to bad.

Thanks guys. Bat, I told Dave the same thing about a camcorder. :D

Lawdwaz, you should have witnessed my first experience with a mechanical string release. It was one of those T-shaped types with no strap. Dayum! that hurt! :lol:

Yes FG, I'm old, sickly, about crazy, and fat. I could start a rigorous physical training program along with a controlled diet and, although such an effort might kill me, I could possibly succeed in feeling better at a lighter weight. Maybe that book would help. Thanks, I look forward to it.

But I would like to reciprocate by purchasing some book that would help you. Trouble is I can't think of a single one that do anything to help you get over being so derned ugly.

At least he has most of his face cut off in that picture with that big eared deer.

I'm glad all you hurt was your pride! :lol:

Good shooting BTW!

You know...bullet DESIGN while important...there is no substitute for proper bullet FIT for best accuracy...

Latest posts

Back