Need advice on new inline rifle for hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys got me to thinking. I don't need a scope at my ranges. Even with my crappy vision I can see well enough for 50 yds. It will force me to stay at my distances. I've never hunted with a scoped muzzleloader and might have been tempted to take a longer shot. I can also use a lighter load at my preferred distance. Which really appeals to me with an unscoped Optima.

So, I just took off the scope mount and will order a peep and front sight. The gun is lighter which will be nice to carry in the mountains. A warden won't stop me everytime he see's me because i'm using a scope. I can stick to my preferred way to hunt and shoot offhand. I'll save the $300 I was going to spend on a scope. The last one is really important to me. The stock fits perfect now with a good cheek weld. My dad is looking down and smiling now. So am I.

A 350 yd shot is very doable with the CVA Accura PR, with the right bullet and powder charge. The trick is figuring yardage and drop after 200 yards. Billy Dixon made his famed 1540 yd shot with a .50-90 Sharps, using probably a 500 gr bullet with a 22" twist. The Accura has a 28" twist. With all that said, a novice to ML needs to understand that a shot.like 350 yards is quite different than a CF, and he will have to develop a whole new set of skills and a lot of practice.

The stock on the Paramount is a HMR stock. That stands for Hunter Match Rifle. :D

Cool stock too if you dont mind lugging around a rifle that weighs well over 10lbs ready to hunt. Their entire marketing for it is LONG RANGE. Does it really matter if the object at the end of that range is a target or a deer? Not really. A poor group is a poor group regardless of what its impacting.

They might be on to something with the new MRX 40cal. Cant wait to learn more about it. That rifle would be completely legal in Mo. Cool stock and claimed weight under 7lbs bare. Could be well under $700 also for just the rifle. We just dont know yet. What we do know is shooting just 120grV of BH209 in a 40cal you can get some impressive speeds with high BC bullets. No SUPER MAG loads or sabots needed.

Sure hope this one turns out well. I will be right in line to get one if it proves itself and specs are close to the claimed. Mainly the weight. A 40cal 400gr conical is right up my alley.
gNzoMiZ.png
a 400gr bullet out of a sub 7lb rifle with 120gr of BH209? Ouch...offhand not so much but on a bench? Better bite down on a piece of leather...it'll help....

Last edited:
No a 400gr conical at around 1400fps only needs about half that much BH209. I already shoot a 7.65lb (ready to go) rifle with some pretty stiff loads. You need to hold on tight when a 275gr leaves the barrel at over 2400fps.

That is the great thing about a 45. You can shoot mild to wild and still have better than average energy. A 350gr lead conical with just 70grV of BH209 is a pussy cat compared to a 275gr bullet with 110grV. Both will flatten any deer under 150 yards. A 488gr in the same rifle with 80grV of BH209 does get your attention too. Still not horrible but it does thump you.

One for the worst ive shot was a 50cal 385gr Rem CLHP with 120grV in my 54-120 using 54x50 sabots. That load rocks you HARD in the little rifle. Can blur your vision within a few shots. A sore shoulder is one thing. Having a a hard time seeing afterwards is just scary.

One of the heaviest loads I have shot was a nef 50 cal mzl with 110 grains of pyrodexrs with a powerbelt 338 bullet.I shot a 285 lb black bear at 18 yds and he did not go 1 step.Like he just laid down and took a nap.BUT,after the recovery my shoulder felt the recoil for sure.

Maybe I am a glutton for punishment but I like a kind like a heavy muzzleloader.But I went from a 50 cal to 2 45's.I think it might be a marine thing though.:snipe:
I'm like you...I prefer a bench weight gun...nice wide forearm that sits in a bag well...10lbs plus...they are more stable. And the added weight reduces recoil and dampens breathing and heartbeat movement. Years of 1000 yard and 300 meter bench rest shooting has left it's mark on me. I'm in Ohio so I'm not trudging up and down mountains when I hunt...I shoot from a supported rest regardless whether I'm on the ground or in a stand. Long range shooting with sporter weight rifles is a dicey business at best...that's why those that do it don't do it with 7lb rifle scope combinations.

My NULA has shot the 275gr Parker@2448fps into a .71" group. Cant post that pic unless i edit out the load data. The rifle weighs exactly 3468 grams on my digital scale.

Here is a 202yard groups shot with that load. Right at 2.5" by the previous owner
itXzJvL.jpg

This is that load off of a hunting type rest by me. Just a rolled up bag on a old picnic table. One near the bullseye is my normal hunting XPB 225gr load.
DUhK9wx.jpg

Slightly slower load at 100. Only 2300fps. :D
RJYDtQp.jpg

Point im making is even a rifle that weighs less than 7.64lbs ready to hunt with a 2-7x33 scope is quite capable of excellent accuracy. Weight i listed is with my new scope that is about 5oz heavier iirc. This is a 50cal sabot shooter with a 26" barrel. No it wont shoot like my 45cal Pacnor that is more than 3lbs heavier but out to 200 yards its not gunna make one bit of difference.

Within 100 ive shot some nice groups with my 54-120 20" carbine too. Real bruiser loads using max loads of BH209 and upto a 385gr bullet. That rifle is also under 8lbs and kicks harder.
1infvgD.jpg

cQ40Jun.jpg

Last edited:
Point im making is even a rifle that weighs less than 7.64lbs ready to hunt with a 2-7x33 scope is quite capable of excellent accuracy. Weight i listed is with my new scope that is about 5oz heavier iirc. This is a 50cal sabot shooter with a 26" barrel. No it wont shoot like my 45cal Pacnor that is more than 3lbs heavier but out to 200 yards its not gunna make one bit of difference.

Within 100 ive shot some nice groups with my 54-120 20" carbine too. Real bruiser loads using max loads of BH209 and upto a 385gr bullet. That rifle is also under 8lbs and kicks harder.
1infvgD.jpg

cQ40Jun.jpg
Duly noted and damned nice shooting! But I'm not talking about 200 yards...lots of guns will do that all day long...I'm talking double that and beyond....shooting long high BC bullets...that's another matter all together and that's the kind of shooting I'm talking about with the aforementioned bench rest weight gun...it's apples and oranges for anyone that knows what I'm talking about. There's a reason snipers use 40X target guns vs Remington 700's for instance...

And that is exactly why i told him to get a Mountaineer 45 1-20 several posts back. Its a proven 300 yard plus shooter. Its been used by several shooters at Friendship in the Inline Hunter category. I have one also and a Super DISC which is similar. It too has won several times with loads we would use for hunting.

The OP specifically asked for a HUNTING RIFLE that would be good to out to 350 yards. I wont even take my Pacnor 45 hunting. Its a pig of a rifle but i would take the Mountaineer and i have taken the Super DISC.

And that is exactly why i told him to get a Mountaineer 45 1-20 several posts back. Its a proven 300 yard plus shooter. Its been used by several shooters at Friendship in the Inline Hunter category. I have one also and a Super DISC which is similar. It too has won several times with loads we would use for hunting.

The OP specifically asked for a HUNTING RIFLE that would be good to out to 350 yards. I wont even take my Pacnor 45 hunting. Its a pig of a rifle but i would take the Mountaineer and i have taken the Super DISC.
I used to have a 40X in 25/06 Ackley Improved and I humped that thing all over God's green earth hunting ground hogs, crows and the occasional coyote here in Ohio. I routinely hit targets in excess of 500 yards with that rifle. I guess its a good thing I didn't know it wasn't a HUNTING RIFLE or I would have left it home and brought my Winchester 70 Heavy Varmint in 22-250 Ackley Improved instead...but I guess that wouldn't have been a hunting rifle either right? Is that Knight you recommended a fine rifle? There can be no doubt. But to infer that a heavy bench style gun isn't a hunting rifle because of its profile is laughable to me. At the end of the day, regardless which direction the OP goes he's received a good deal of personal perspective and good suggestions...I hope he's happy with whatever he chooses and I'm glad this forum is here for people to come to to gain knowledge so they can make an informed choice regardless what their issue is.

What $800 or less muzzleloader are YOU suggesting he looks at? I must have missed it.
I just bought a CVA Paramount for less than that by a fair bit for instance...I'm not telling him to not buy the Knight...that would be foolish. I'm saying there are options out there that are not a sporter weight rifle. Tell you what...I know what you're looking for so here it is...your right. Have a nice day.

To a weak old person like myself, a heavy bench gun is NOT a hunting rifle. Laugh all you wish, you will never ever see me hunting with such...............
agree with you 100 percent Ron, weak or young who the heck wants to carry a 13# or more rifle when trekking up and down hills etc.. sold a very accurate .40 side lock that was 13# for that very reason, most accurate open sighted gun Ive ever owned but sucked to carry it through the woods.

Back