Need help with clearing TC barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaTuFu

Reaction score
A buddy of mine gave me his Muzzleloader to clean up.

I think it is a Renegade.

He left a Sabot load hollow point in the barrel for several years. I have extracted the bullet, but the sabot and pyrodex are still in the barrel.

I tried to clear it with a fresh percussion cap, but the pyrodex has been in there for so long it is waterlogged/inert.

I then tried to get the sabot out with a wad/claw extractor, but to no avail.

I'm hoping you guys have a suggestion for clearing the barrel, removing the old powder and getting her back to shooting form.

Attachments

• heath mz 2.jpg
    heath mz 2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 29
Take the nipple out, get a 1/4 inch grease zerk, screw into nipple threads finger tight only, pump it out with a grease gun. Not as messy as it sounds & no worries about anything gettin’ excitin’ by tryin’ to fire it out.

And if it’s the gun pictured, that’s a T/C New Englander or Black Mountain Magnum.

I agree with bubba.50, Try and find 1 of these longer 1/4-28 Grease Zerks, You can’t hardly get on the Shorter Zerk due to the Snail in say a Hawken/Renegade, I don’t believe you have this worry about with Your Black Mountain Magnum Though? I have a New Englander (which I believe is the Same as the BMM?) but it’s in the back of my Gun safe and not handy to look at it. Anyway, the longer 1/4-28 Zerk is the Way to go for a “Sure thing”

0hf5Os3m.jpg

I would try an Air Compressor with Rubber tip Nozzle and Blow it out first, 120 psi has a way of moving things :) But if that doesn’t Work you could also try a Screw style Bullet puller, Or the Grease Zerk, 1 of these 3 methods will get it out for sure

dsJ4eGrm.jpg

A buddy of mine had the same thing going on with a gun he forgot was loaded for a couple of years. He said he mixed 1 part alcohol, 1 part peroxide and 1 part murphy's oil soap. Poured it down his barrel and next day everything loosened up and came out . He said that concoction is supposed to be safe leaving in your barrel overnight as it soaks.

I have also used the the same concoction, also aids in cleaning stubborn dirty barrels after a good soak and brushing.

A buddy of mine had the same thing going on with a gun he forgot was loaded for a couple of years. He said he mixed 1 part alcohol, 1 part peroxide and 1 part murphy's oil soap. Poured it down his barrel and next day everything loosened up and came out . He said that concoction is supposed to be safe leaving in your barrel overnight as it soaks.

Otherwise known as MAP, i have had a Jug of that stuff made up for a Long time

All great suggestions, I will give them each a try and report back.

And thank you for helping me ID the gun.

For future reference, I have used a wooden dowel to tap out stuck bullet...

I tried the air compressor with rubber nipple idea first, it was the quickest one to try. Sabot and the remains of the pyrodex popped right out.

The pyrodex came out in an oily, sticky consistency like toothpaste.

And now the chores begin. I must have run 50 patches through it last night after letting it soak in MAP for 30-40 minutes. Ran a copper brush through it a few times, then wet and dry patches. I was still getting rust colored residue on the patches when I finally gave up for the night. I ran a cotton mop thru it with some gun oil to let it keep until I'm ready to get after it again.

Plug your nipple with tooth pick and get some evaporust and pour(fill) down bore and let sit for 2-3 days, if you get it on bluing it will take it off so be careful.. after 2-3 days pour it back in container,rinse with water or clean out with damp patches, dry with 90 percent rubbing alcohol then lightly oil. It will get all the rust out of any pitting etc so it will not continue to rust plus its safe to use.

Back