Need Help with Penetration

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffK-MN

Reaction score
Hi to all I need some help to determine how good my load is for my Muzzleloader. I have been using 777 pellets 100grs and 245grs powedbelt bullets. It worked great for last year (my first time with a ml).

But now I want to work on the load to make it a lot better so I have shot some with 150grs of 777 and the same bullets.
How do I tell the difference in penetration between 100 and 150 grains?
I don't have a connorgraph to tell the velocity.

So if anyone can help let me know.

The loads I have shot are accurate up to 125 yards on paper.
Then I know it is me that can't hold it steady.
Thanks for the Help Jeff

Your title got me :D

With powerbelts, based purely on what Ive read on this site, I think you will achieve better penetration with the previous load. Reason being, it is rumored that the Powerbelts will not expand when driven too fast, but they will blow up into many pieces. Ive seen it suggested to keep the powder charge around 100 gr to see the performance you desire.

If you really want to boost that load and get range and penetration then change bullets. Some 250 grain Shockwaves or some Barnes 250 & 300 grain Expanders. Also Nosler Partiation in 260 grain would be good. Excellent for the long haul, hit like a ton of bricks and penetrate deep.

Powerbelts from all my reading as well are not to be pushed too hard. The problem is with 150 grains of powder, lets say that deer walks out at 30 yards. If you shoot it could splatter that powerbelt with that kind of energy and speed. One person on another forum swears that 70-85 grains is best for powerbelts. He makes some nasty holes in deer with them, but when your looking for power as it sounds like you are, a change in bullets might be best.

:nono: :nono: :nono: What ever you do do not shoot them with that much powder THEY WILL BLOW UP ON IMPACT What WT & style of PB are you shooting ? If you want the Best Expastion And Penatration that you can adchive from a Power Belt You need to get some 2fg loose 777 and shoot and shoot the 338gr or heavyer bullet with 80gr to 85gr of powder by Volume. I know this dosn't sound right but it is the truth I prommis you .

There is a fantastic Wright up on the proper way to shoot a PB on the Hunting net Forum By Frontier Gander you need to check it out .
www.huntingnet.com
go under Comunity then click on Forums then go to 3erd thru 6th page you will see it .

Ron

cayuga said:
If you really want to boost that load and get range and penetration then change bullets. Some 250 grain Shockwaves or some Barnes 250 & 300 grain Expanders. Also Nosler Partiation in 260 grain would be good. Excellent for the long haul, hit like a ton of bricks and penetrate deep.

Powerbelts from all my reading as well are not to be pushed too hard. The problem is with 150 grains of powder, lets say that deer walks out at 30 yards. If you shoot it could splatter that powerbelt with that kind of energy and speed. One person on another forum swears that 70-85 grains is best for powerbelts. He makes some nasty holes in deer with them, but when your looking for power as it sounds like you are, a change in bullets might be best.

I would Agree with Dave 1000% !!!!

Ron

Latest posts

Back