need suggestions on new muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1 raggedhole

Reaction score
This year was the first time I hunted wisconsin muzzleloader season. I used a borrowed rifle from a friend and really enjoyed it. Now I'm looking to get a muzzleloader of my own. I've been doing a lot of reading and looking at cabelas. Any thoughts or insights like or dislikes on any said gun would be great. I'm not really into the bolt style like the knight, I'm really looking at a tc, cva or maybe a traditions.

Cva apex would be my 1st choice stainless action and adjustable trigger
2nd would be cva accura. Alloy action and adjustable trigger.
Winchester W209 primer and 90 gr blackhorn powder and Barnes290 tez and some hoppes 9
It will shoot

If your looking for a moderate priced rifle that will work well in Wisconsin, I would suggest a CVA Optima. I purchased an Optima with stainless barrel, 50 caliber, synthetic stock, for $209.00 on sale. Its been a great shooter. Now many people will tell you that a CVA is not the brand to purchase. And that their barrels are made in Spain. Well look at it this way ... $250.000 and a little more for a scope. The rifle will work fine in Wisconsin's winter weather. It shoots good. Or you can drop $500-$800 and then a scope for a rifle that they will tell you is far superior to a CVA. Since you don't want a bolt gun, Knight is kind of limited. I don't like Traditions. Period. T/C used to make a good rifle. After their sale to Smith and Wesson ... I don't have any information on them. All I know is my Optima made by CVA had been a good shooting good working rifle.

I got mine at the Fleet Farm in Marshfield Wi.

I have a Traditions Buckstalker. I paid $190 for it at a local shop. I know its not a top end gun but I have been more than happy with the accuracy . Fit and finsh leave a bit to be desired but I'm more about utility than appearance when it comes to guns.

I also have the CVA Optima and really like the gun. It shoots a lot of different bullet/sabot combos really well. Imo it is the best designed break open gun. If you plan to shoot black horn you will need the bh breach plug. I also have a Knight Vision next vista which is also a pretty good gun though a little heavy. Another good gun is the TC Impact.

I hunt with a guy that loves his cva Acura. I have been looking at the cva acura mr or the tc triumph.i just don't know how the short barrel mr is at over 100 yards. I'm willing to spend some money but don't need to have a grand into it.
I liked hunting with a muzzleloader so much I might do it for the 9 day gun deer and muzzleloader season.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

I've owned every CVA model. If you can afford it then the APEX is a no brainer. Then the Accura, but my preference is the Accura MR. Lighter than the APEX because of its aluminum frame (no interchangeable barrels) Next is the Optima & lastly is the Wolf. They are all great guns & will do the job
Call Carlos at Ed's Gun Shop for your best price & availabilty 910-692-7936

Greg

Gregk how is the accura out to or passed 150 yards? Does the short barrel take away long range performance?

Barrel length is not that significant in this sport where the average owner uses 100 grains and shoots deer at/near 100 yards.

I don't know the specifics, but I'm guessing the harvesting yardage difference between the shortest CVA inline model and the longerst CVA model is only about 20 yards.

Also, before you reply with "I'm using 150 grains", does that much powder keep you accurate at lets say 200 yards.
I'll guess again that it doesn't.

If possible, pick-up and shoulder a few different MLs. Find the one that fits you the best - that has action that suits you the best and within your budget.
..... and don't forget to consider T/C Mountaineer and Impact - plus one Knight that doesn't have a plunger or bolt...... the Knight Vision.

If I were buying a CVA, it would be the nitrides Accura or Optima. Good luck with your search.

The cva accura mr comes with a 25" nitride barrel and a konus scope for around 450. I can't find one in a store around here but have had a chance to shoulder other makes of cva ant they feel nice to me.
Anyone have a konus scope? I know nothing about them. I see I can get them with a buries or a Leupold but they want a lot for the leupold package

I would pass on konus.

Apex or accurs with Redfield revolution or leupold is a winner

How about custom? 45 rempac?
ea8e396ac6a482521f89154841e282a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 raggedhole said:
Gregk how is the accura out to or passed 150 yards? Does the short barrel take away long range performance?

Sorry I didn't get back sooner but to answer your question, if you work up the right load the gun will shoot as accurately as you can manage out to 200 yards. No question about that!!

The short barrel is not a factor at all.
The way I would set up any CVA
Western Powders BH209 breech plug
110gr BH209 (by volume)
full strength 209 primers
Harvester EZ load smooth sabots
MMP sabots for .458 diameter bullets
Barnes TEZ 250
Hornady Monoflex .458/250 They make a .452. diameter but the 458 shot best for me.

and as I mentioned Carlos will have all of this stuff & will even set the gun up for you.

Greg

I think I'm going with the accura mr with nitride barrel and bh 209 I will get the pb when I order the gun. Any suggestions on a scope, is a bdc really needed I might shoot out to 200 yards at some point. If I sight in at 100 yards 2" high what is the approximate drop at 200? I know all guns shoot different and not exactly sure on my exactly load. Like I said the approximate drop at 200 yards.

1800 fps with Barnes290 tez
+2@100
-2@150
-7@175
-12.5@200

Im a big fan of target turrets so adjust yardage and hold dead on.
But i would definitely recommend doa reticle.

Nikon inline scope or Redfield revolution good choices.

Alot of people that are BDC fans like the Leupold scope also. That and the Nikon are probably the most popular, followed by the Bushnell and Redfield.

1 raggedhole said:
I think I'm going with the accura mr with nitride barrel and bh 209 I will get the pb when I order the gun. Any suggestions on a scope, is a bdc really needed I might shoot out to 200 yards at some point. If I sight in at 100 yards 2" high what is the approximate drop at 200? I know all guns shoot different and not exactly sure on my exactly load. Like I said the approximate drop at 200 yards.

Great choice in rifles.

I am using the Leupold VX-R series on my guns with their CDS system. Once you've got your CDS set up you just dial it to the yardage required & hold dead on. They are expensive.

If you want high quality glass & warranty for a lower price then go with a Vortex Viper.

In any case use a DNZ one piece mount.

All available from Carlos

Latest posts

Back