Needing some help (delay firing model 700 ML)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a model 700 remington ML the first ones made, converted to 209 ignition. I purchased it a week or so ago, nice clean gun. stripped it down cleaned it well before shooting.
I made 2 shots no delays. Cleaned well again made 2 more shots both shots delay fired. Cleaned, shot 1 more no delay. Since then ive had a few delay fires. Shooting winchester 777 209 primers. and Triple 7 powder 2 pellets.
Iv'e read where people have drilled out the nipple hole to make this less of an issue. I am looking for maybe another Nipple that has already been made with a bigger hole for this reason, as I am sure this is the problem. Powder is good and dry and used in my other muzzleloader just fine. I have heard of people going to a musket cap nipple and had great success as well. Can anyone give me some tips here? thanks guys!

Try using a standard 209, non-muzzleloading, shotshell primer. Sometimes a delayed ignition can be traced back to how well the charge is packed down by the bullet. If the bullet/sabot or bullet done bore riding does not stay tight on the powder, especially when using pellets, ignition issues can be common. The flame channel in the breech plug may also need carbon build-up to be reamed out.

It may be that in cleaning you have pushed some ash back down the barrel and it may have covered the flame hole. Personally I'd ditch the pellets and get some T7 granular and a powder measure so I could take full advantage of the gun's potential when developing loads or using different bullets. Regular shotshell reloading primers using granular powder would be the first change I'd make though, load's packing pressure would be my next move, then making certain the flame hole/channel are getting cleaned every couple three shots.

Thanks for the response. I have tried shotgun primers in it. Still about the same deal. I cleaned the firehole out each time I cleaned it. The best I could anyways. Talked to a local gunsmith and he said he had a supplier that used to send him 209 nipples which has a little bit bigger fireholes or channels than the factory ones, and that made all the difference.

Rem 700 ml or none for week firing pin springs and gets very dirty this slows firing pin down and head spacing maybe off as will. what conversion to 209 did you get.

Rem 700 ml or none for week firing pin springs and gets very dirty this slows firing pin down and head spacing maybe off as will. what conversion to 209 did you get.
Im not sure which one is in it. I bought it pre owned and it was already installed. Looks to be a factory kit.

that's a good? I've only shot powder with this system you may email badger ridge he will no.
the only bad thing with rem bolt is it a plunger system and the primer will blow out after you shoot it in your face.

What do you mean: “I cleaned it” between shots?. Wondering if you are putting too much of a “wet” cleaner down.

With triple 7, I actually lick one side of a patch and run that down, flip it and run that down, then run a dry patch, and then reload. If you use a pre soaked wet patch, it needs to be almost dry. And only 1

I dont clean between shots, just remove the buildup with a 2 patch regime.

What do you mean: “I cleaned it” between shots?. Wondering if you are putting too much of a “wet” cleaner down.

With triple 7, I actually lick one side of a patch and run that down, flip it and run that down, then run a dry patch, and then reload. If you use a pre soaked wet patch, it needs to be almost dry. And only 1

I dont clean between shots, just remove the buildup with a 2 patch regime.
bore snake, and taking out breach plug, making sure the hole is open all the way through the nipple. No oil used. Realistically I was cleaning after 2 shots. When it started to delay I tried after every shot.

bore snake, and taking out breach plug, making sure the hole is open all the way through the nipple. No oil used. Realistically I was cleaning after 2 shots. When it started to delay I tried after every shot.
Iv'e came to the conclusion that the fire channel through the nipple is too small and any fouling at all inside of there is causing the delay.

Bore snake with what on it? Something wet?

That is WAY too much work anyway. No way you should have to clean at all after 2 shots. Run a slightly damp patch, followed by a dry patch and see what happens.

I have shot a lot of different guns with 777 and have never “cleaned” my bore at the range.

Not saying it isn’t your breechplug, but just wondering. If things are right, no cleaning needed.

Bore snake with what on it? Something wet?

That is WAY too much work anyway. No way you should have to clean at all after 2 shots. Run a slightly damp patch, followed by a dry patch and see what happens.
Have used a bore snake with all my Inlines, never an issue.
I will try it. Hate that remington has the kinks, have a CVA staghorn that's older too, no issues. and a CVA optima v2, No hiccups. Hopefully get the kinks worked out here soon.
Appreciate the help!

I like snakes for cleaning too. But you shouldnt have to clean a gun at the range. I have only had to remove the breechplug at the range maybe a handful of times in 35 years

I guess I swab it 4 times with 777:

Spit patch (wet on only 1 side)
Reverse side of spit patch
Dry patch
Reverse side of dry patch
Reload.

Whether it’s my sidelock or my inlines, that’s all I have ever done for 20-25 shots per session.

Cleaning frequently and assessing the bore and breach for left over build up, and cleaning the breach plug should be preventing any of my delay fires, that's what's got me puzzled. I could understand it doing it if I shot half a dozen times or more, then possibly delaying. But should definitely not with how much I'm cleaning. Why I've looked at going to a different ignition system, or making the hole bigger. My dad has a model 700 just like mine and made the hole bigger and hasn't had any issues since. But seems to get more fouling back where the cap sits. But no hang ups.

Back