NEW AD FOR FEDERAL PREMUIM AMMO FOR MUZZLELOADERS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
NEW AD FOR FEDERAL PREMUIM AMMO FOR MUZZLELOADERS

Muzzleloaders are called primitive weapons, but the Federal Premium® Muzzleloading line shatters that perception. Our technologies give hunters more reliability, consistency and accuracy than ever before.

The Federal Premium® B.O.R. Lock MZ® bullet system has changed muzzleloading. No detaching sabot, no belt—it’s a whole new class of bullet. Consistent. Accurate. Easy to load. Its exclusive system efficiently engages the rifling and seals the bore, optimizing velocity and accuracy.

You know , if a person would take stock of what the present day costs of a hunt are you could be eating the best cuts of meat , and still be money ahead. Things are well out of hand when you are the captive bunch.  That must be why a lot of use try to make most of everything we can. It is not doubt fun, but when you realize the real gains, it is very gratifying. Just look at what a pack of the magic bullets cost.Hard to start out from scratch with just one pack.

Its not all about the kill. Lord knows my dad, brother and I have gone home empty many many years in a row. The places we've seen and experienced make it all worthwhile. The place we found this year was true paradise.

The Federal bullets are accurate and do load easy, but in truth, at the end of the day, they pretty much all do the same thing that other bullets do.

Seems everyone has their favorites, no matter the shape, lead mix or who made them. The biggest thing we are starting to see with small game is the push for no lead, now the heavy steel stuff that some guns don't like and raise hell with some choke tube systems. 

I'm involved with several national groups that are now seeing some states say the same about rifle bullets whether its modern cartridge or muzzleloading rounds. Reenactors have been warned about some of the events and they are shooting; one event they were required to salvage the rounds fired into a dirt bank backstop.

It's just a matter of time and we'll see a push for another material than lead being pushed. Some will continue to use lead until they get caught and that will happen just like the small game and bird hunters are finding out now. Fines and possible loss of hunting for a period and depending how the judge sees it maybe your gun.

When a game warden checks your limit in small game, they are not just looking at what was taken they are also looking at what the game was shot with (your cartridges - steel or lead). I have a hard headed friend that you can't tell anything, he got busted last fall and received a pretty sizable fine plus had to go to count to get his shotgun back. 

Times and our rights are starting to see these types of changes, sad .....

The search for the magic bullet that transforms a gut shot into a bang flop continues.   At moderate ranges a properly placed patched round ball  kills just as well. 

Yesterday i took my .54 caliber TC Fire Hawk to the range with the intention of doing some shooting.   First shot at 78 yards put the 250 grain SST into the center of the 2" bullseye.   Packed the gun up and came home.

In a lot of cases the market just tries to put a different color on the same old wheel. Jon mentioned about the kill. That's got nothing to do with what I was hollering about. In some cases , you could buy centerfire ammo as cheap. In our case here, that's what we are doing,only thing is we are not getting the brass cases,  or the primer, or the powder.

It's like fishing lures. They come in every shape, size and color that you can imagine. 
Do they catch fish? ..... Maybe. 
Do they "catch" fishermen? ..... You bet they do.    
It's all about $$$$$.

Right on Pat! That's what I was trying to say but too worked up to think of it . The whole thing is about money . Were retired  so making money is out of the equation , but spending it ain't.

It's called "Marketing", our country like European countries have lived on the system for centuries. Nothing you can do about it other than except that fact or crawl under a rock. 

I guess we could do like Sylvan Ambrose "Buckskin Bill" Hart. Build a in an area like his on the Five Mile Bar of the Salmon River on the River of No Return Wilderness. He had a heads-up being half our ages.

A LITTLE HISTORY ON THIS MAN FOR THOSE THAT NEVER HEARD OF HIM
   His life span (May 10, 1906 – April 29, 1980) was among the last of the real mountainmen in the western US. The oldest of six children born in Camargo in the Indian Territory, one year before it became Oklahoma. 
   He purchased fifty acres (1928) of land at Five Mile Bar for one dollar where he built a compound that included a two-story house, blacksmith shop, a stone turret, and a bomb shelter. The defensive structures reflected his sense of continual threat from the federal government, which peaked in 1956 when Howard Zahniser's Wilderness Act threatened to designate the Five Mile section of the Salmon River as a non-habitable Primitive Area, and he was in danger of being evicted.       He farmed, hunted and fished for survival, and made his own guns, weapons, clothing and tools.
   A lifelong bachelor, Hart died of natural causes at age 73 at his home in 1980. His funeral was held in Grangeville and he was buried at his home at Five Mile Bar. His compound has been preserved as "The Buckskin Bill Museum".

This guy had the guts to stand up to whoever messed with him. For most that's something they can't do "they talk the talk but can't walk the walk".

I picked up a pack of the 350gr Federal B.O.R. bullets to try in my new Traditions Strikerfire LDR. After a couple scope adjustments, I was able to get two holes touching at 100yds. I used 100gr of Alliant MZ Black, shooting from a clean barrel off a bench. These load with minimal force, without a short starter, but they feel snug when I seat them up against the loose powder. The jury is still out on their performance in cold weather (I live in southern AZ and my last range session was 90 deg).

Back