New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Fresh off the big brown truck!

This sucker if BEEFY compared to my Hawken Woodsman Flintlock version. I'll have to ask about that and see if they changed up the design a bit. " Yes, Traditions has re-tooled and beefed up the stock, but also left some extra, over sized lock panels to speed up the process and cut down cost at both ends "

Beefy is good!
The Traditions Hawken Woodsman is a serious hunting rifle. The Woodsman has the classic styling and handling of the time-honored Hawken while offering great performance and affordability. Both the percussion and flint models boast a hooked breech for easy barrel removal, click-adjustable rear hunting sight, double-set triggers in an oversized glove-fitting trigger guard with finger rest and an in-letted solid brass patch box. This model is .50 caliber and has a 28" octagonal blued barrel, 15/16th's across the flats,with a twist of 1:48. It is 44.5" in length and weighs 7 7/8 lbs. This particular model has a select (Beechwood) hardwood stock.

Maximum Loads:
110gr 2fg black powder or sub Max Load
105gr 3fg Black powder or sub, Max Load

IMG-7352.jpg

IMG-7353.jpg

IMG-7354.jpg

IMG-7355.jpg

IMG-7356.jpg

IMG-7357.jpg

IMG-7358.jpg

IMG_7359.jpg

IMG_7360.jpg

IMG_7362.jpg

Now lets take a look at the Percussion model VS my Flintlock model Hawken Woodsman. You can see how beefy the Wrist and Lock panel are on the Percussion Model.
IMG_7365.jpg

The in-letting is nice and tight, especially around the lock as it requires you to loosen the screws and gently tap on them to help ease the lock out. You can see some light sanding scratches left over, but on a rifle of this price ($388), that will be expected and is no eye sore to me. Especially after a week hunting in the Colorado Oak Brush! Expect to find such light sanding marks on rifles that are 3x the price.
IMG_7371.jpg

On most traditional muzzleloaders, we are used to seeing the barrel channel, completely hollowed out with a visible ramrod. Traditions leaves the barrel channel SOLID, with the exception of the Wedge Key/Barrel Tenon area as well as the Ramrod Retaining Spring. Leaving the wood in this area whole, was a very smart plan as it keeps the fore-stock solid, rather than hollow and easier to crack from an over tight wedge key. You simply can not squeeze the sides of the stock and watch them give inward like on some models I've owned over the years. SOLID set up!
IMG_7373.jpg

Tight in-letting, no chipping or splinters where the lock panel was cut out. The wood finish however on the inside of the lock panel was left a little rough and so when fouling gets into this area ( Which it will ) the powder fouling will bed into the rougher texture and be a mess to clean out. I will spend 5 minutes with 150 grit sand paper and knock the roughness down before applying a thin coat of Frontier's Anti-Rust & Patch lube. This will make is super easy to wipe fouling out of the lock in-let at the end of the day.
IMG_7374.jpg

IMG_7375.jpg

87 yard shot with the new Traditions Hawken Woodsman .50cal! 160gr Reduced Recoil Thor sabot driven by 90gr Pyrodex RS. One shot, one kill, dropped on the spot.
IMG_7910.jpg

IMG-7657.jpg

Thats a nice rifle..I noticed that they set all the screw heads in the same direction...to me thats says they paid attention to detail...even the wood looks nice not fancy but not cheap looking...also the inletting looks very tight...

Very nice rifle Jon...as said very beefy...looking forward to see how she shoots....I wish they made a version in .36 caliber for a small game rifle..

Have fun with it...

AL

Just me, but I like the trimness of your flint version.  With that said, The stock is handsomely finished and fit & finish seems to be pretty darn good.  Traditions barrels, IME, are quite good and yield excellent accuracy.  I agree it is a serious rifle for working the bush.  I know you are going to form a bond with this rifle.

Nice rifle.....something to be said of the eloquence in the simplicity. Reminds me of my very first muzzleloader which was a Lyman Plains rifle.......but I confess the wood wasn't near as nice as this one. :thumbs up:

Why do all these gun makers build 50 calibers. There not big enuf to hunt with and to big to shoot targets with. What ever happened to a good ole 58 anyway.:Beating Muley:

Believe it or not, I can still find the bigger 54cal Hawken Woodsman. Some countries even can get a 45cal HW!

This came in an email this morning concerning the two different stock shapes.

Thank you for contacting us with your concerns and observations regarding the percussion and flintlock model Hawken Woodsman rifles you currently own.  We appreciate the images you shared illustrating the differences between your two stocks. Our manufacturer has recently updated tooling as a means of tightening up tolerances in the lock and trigger area, thus reducing the amount of hand-fitting and sanding that had been done in the past.  The objective is to have more consistency with the stock specifications than could be accomplished with the hand-fitting and sanding process. 

I don't understand the answer? I'm sure the inletting is being cut by CNC machines. Why did they have to make it thicker to get tighter tolerances? What about the flintlock? Does it get the tighter tolerances too?

Its basically a new design thats easier to sand and cut down hands on time.

The flintlock will get the same stock as this one. My flintlock was a last year model. Remember, they are retooling for one of the most famous muzzleloaders made.. The Mountain Rifle.

Back