New Blued GM LRH .50 Cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I got the New barrel yesterday and fitted it to one of my Set Trigger Renegade Stocks, I Removed the Factory Williams fiber optic sights and installed a Lyman 17AHB Globe so i can use my Lee Shavers BPCR inserts. I had to play around with Wedge key fit a little as it was way to loose (Would fall in, and out) I used Lyman’s method, a piece of 3/8 Rod Stock layed flat across the middle of the Underlug and a few Wacks with a Hammer, I got it fitted very nicely :yeah: But then the Ramrod wouldn’t clear the Lug, So back apart, i Filed the Lug down a tiny bit, and slightly rounded the sharp Front corner, Kept testing fit until the Ramrod cleared. I gave the new barrel about 50 Strokes with Montana Extreme Bore Polishing Compound (JB bore paste equivalent, or possibly better?) Then i gave the barrel a Thorough bath :D
For the first test run i decided to try My BACO .492 450 Grain bullets, with 85 Weight Grains of Swiss 2F powder, And a .060 Vege Fibre Over Powder Wad (My Stainless barrel would Not shoot these well at all since they were pure Lead) And i took along 6 of my Version of the S&W 500 bullets, 1 to foul with and 5 to Group test, I used Wool OP Wads with these bullets

The rifle, She’s a thing of beauty! :yeah:
RC5SHTO.jpg

Target is above my front Globe in the Sun on the hillside, distance was 80 Yards
yeU40FH.jpg

Bullets i used, My Custom Made Version of the Lee S&W 500 bullet, And BACO .492 450 Grain cupped base PP bullets
ShO8QIj.jpg

My first 3 Shots with the BACO .492 450 Grain cupped base Pure Lead PP bullets
h73GqdF.jpg

And my finished 5 shot Group with the BACO bullets
lUOotLw.jpg

My first 3 Shots with My Custom S&W 500 bullet, These bullets are 8.5 BHN
jrHfLxP.jpg

And my finished 5 Shot Group
VNHCwtP.jpg

I am VERY pleased with this new barrel!! I look forward to getting out with my Custom Grease Groove bullets and hammering out loads :yeah:

Not to bad Lew, Not to bad at all :D

I would sell it though and just stick with your 45 bbl. I may have someone who might be interested in that bbl? :roll: :D

edmehlig said:
Not to bad Lew, Not to bad at all :D

I would sell it though and just stick with your 45 bbl. I may have someone who might be interested in that bbl? :roll: :D

Not a Chance There Buddy! :lol: I will say If you get a Chance to own one of these GM LRH barrels I HIGHLY advise them :yeah: Personally i would go with a Blued Version, The Stainless is AWESOME when it comes to rugged durability, and ease of cleaning, They are almost like cheating :lol: But they are FINICKY about Lead hardness. If you don’t plan on shooting Pure lead, and don’t mind tinkering with Hardening lead, or Buying Done up Alloy, The Stainless Barrels are great :yeah:

Forum Member shguns Came by this evening and Bought my Stainless barrel, He is a great guy! We made a plan to shoot some together soon, I am very much looking forward to it :yeah: I hope he shows me up with Cayugads Ole SS Barrel!

Idaholewis, how is the peep to shoot in low light? Only have bad experiences with the old T/C peep sights for my Renegade. Looks like a Williams rear sight? What about the front sight? Do you know the width of the peep sight hole?

Attachments

• wm_3402048.jpg
    wm_3402048.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 410
runNgun said:
Idaholewis, how is the peep to shoot in low light? Only have bad experiences with the old T/C peep sights for my Renegade. Looks like a Williams rear sight? What about the front sight? Do you know the width of the peep sight hole?

Peep sights are a Booger in really low light, Just the nature of the beast and not much you can do about it. I have tested it in really low light situations, The worst is in thick Timber, and Brushy Stuff, it can be nearly impossible to pick up this tiny Lee Shaver’s bpcr Pin. I finally gave up trying to get someone to make a Tritium insert for the 17 series Globes, Tritium glows in the Dark naturally.

The Peep sight in your Picture is a Stock TC Peep, I have 2 of them, They do the Job fine but are Quite Crude Compared to a Williams FP Hawken, or a Lyman 57SML. The stock TC Peeps are designed to be locked down after sighted in at your chosen Yardage, I Want a Peep sight that allows me to make Field adjustments without tools, i like to shoot out to 500 yards, That would not be possible with a TC Peep.

The Aperture hole size depends, For Target stuff i like the really Small Hole, like .030 to .050 depending on Lighting, Target, etc. For Hunting i like the Large .125 hole, The Hadley Eye cups are AWESOME for Target stuff, My Lee Shaver’s has 9 Different Hole sizes i can flip through until i find the 1 i like best.

As for the Front sights, I prefer Globes, The Lyman 17 Series is my Choice. And the inserts i use are Made by Lee Shavers, They are ULTRA fine for Long Range BPCR

Here are my Inserts. And Globe front sight
jLV25rE.jpg

Lyman 17AHB
X3G08Br.jpg

I have this one as well
xb063LI.jpg

And this one on my Long Range Muzzleloader
Rsk9w4F.jpg

My Hadley Eye Cup
4l9MqYM.jpg

I have 12 Long Muzzleloaders and every single 1 of them have a High end Peep Sight on them. They are the ABSOLUTE key to my Shooting Success :yeah: I can NOT shoot a regular Buckhorn style open sight worth a Darn, My eyesight just won’t allow it. I cut my Right Eye Years ago in a Logging accident, My vision has never been the same in it.

After trying my first Peep sight setup, I Could not believe how good my Sight picture was, I was SOLD on Peep sights!

Before my Peep sight, I could NEVER EVER of imagined being able to do this with my eyesight, This Target is 505 Yards from my Barrel with my Leica 1600 Rangefinder, After getting on Target i was able to put 3 shots in 7 inches at this Distance. Try this with your Buckhorn open sights!

OR0Y6gj.jpg

UKQdVic.jpg

p3YDpBQ.jpg

T1PWOZs.jpg

500 yards is about all i can get out of this Williams FP :D I am out of my Target (Worm gear) adjustment here, if it weren’t for my Gib lock to lock my elevator down i could Not of done this
GeZnULD.jpg

All I can say is WOW! Thank you for the photos...and darn good shooting. I have no idea how you can get that accurate using a peep at 500 yards! :applause: :applause: :applause:

runNgun said:
All I can say is WOW! Thank you for the photos...and darn good shooting. I have no idea how you can get that accurate using a peep at 500 yards! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Just think, Peep Sights are used out to 1,000-1,200 yards in Competitive BPCR Shoots all the time. When i bought my Long Range Sight from Lee Shaver’s (2 time world Champion) I asked him what his Best Group to Date was at 1,000 Yards with His Peep Sights? He told me 5 Shots in 8 inches

Here is Dave Gullo (Owner of Buffalo Arms) shooting 1,163 Yards with Peep sights

[youtube]YRaRCCZjdTM[/youtube]

They have a Shoot in Wyoming Called the “Wasserburger Mile” Those Guy’s are Shooting a true 1 Mile with Black Powder and Open sights, That is 1,760 Yards

runNgun said:

:yeah: Doing this with open sights is what REALLY impresses, and Amazes me! Guy’s doing this With inlines and Scopes, That Doesn’t impress me in the least

runNgun said:

In low light situations - I just remove the aperature and use the rear sight as a goast ring... If you are use to shooting a peep your eye will make the necessary correction for the larger peep hole. Just remember you are not suppose to try the front sight in the center of the peep hole - your eye will do that - you just need to focus on the putting the front sight where you want the bullet to go...

Also another thought Williams offers many different size aperatures for various shooting conditions. I prefer to use a .091 app for hunting. They also offer twilight apperature for low light conditions.

This link will show you the many different apperatures

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=wi ... &FORM=IGRE

Another thought I have I really prefer to use a Williams Fire Sight and Fire Sight Hood for hunting - and remember I am not a target shooter or a long range hunter - 200 yards is long shot for me here in north Idaho.

This combination works for me - even in low light the the optic stick in the front sight lights up!

Front_Sight_set_up.jpg

Plus when sighting through this front sight it gives you the visual perception of shooting a 1X scope.

Idaholewis said:
runNgun said:

:yeah: Doing this with open sights is what REALLY impresses, and Amazes me! Guy’s doing this With inlines and Scopes, That Doesn’t impress me in the least

Put peeps on Inline and use black you have the same thing. I have often thought about using some type of Vernier on Inline. Problem is finding a way to mount it.

45cal said:
Idaholewis said:
runNgun said:

Put peeps on Inline and use black you have the same thing. I have often thought about using some type of Vernier on Inline. Problem is finding a way to mount it.

Bob, That would be REALLY REALLY COOL!!! And on the EXACT Same Playing Field :yeah: I have nothing in the World Against inlines, In fact I absolutely love this Old Knight MK-85, What an AWESOME Rifle!!

I probably come across as sounding against the inlines by my Statement above, I assure i am not. When i first got in to this stuff i was completely SHOCKED that a Man could Accurately hit a Target at 1,000 Yards with Open sights, I couldn’t believe it?? That what was my Driving force in this stuff, Watching Idahoron Accurately shoot 300 yards is really what made me want to do this stuff, From there i set out to learn Any, and Everything I possibly could about it. I have Accurately shot to 500 Yards myself with Open/Peep sights, It NEVER gets old to me!! I just don’t feel the Same about a Scoped inline, I have shot a LOT of Long Range Centerfire over the years and I understand it quite well, I understand the ballistics are TOTALLY different between Centerfire and Muzzleloader, But Fact is When you Put a Super high end Scope like a Niteforce on a Super High end inline, The only disadvantage you have to a Centerfire Rifle is quick Follow up shots, Big deal! With an inline Once you have your “Dope” down, an Accurate bullet/Load, And a Shooter behind the Rifle that has “Known Ability” It Just can’t be Compared to a Man Doing the Same thing with open Sights. If i were a Scoped Shooter and a Man with Open sights Beat me, I would feel like Crawling in a Hole and Staying there :lol:

I agree very much, you are exactly right. I have seen side hammers equal scores of Inlines at Friendship in Nationals but most shooting Inlines don't notice.

45cal said:
I have seen side hammers equal scores of Inlines at Friendship in Nationals but most shooting Inlines don't notice.

They might not say so, But they notice it!!! :lol: You can bet there’s some behind closed doors head Scratching going on??! :d'oh!: :lol:

Idaholewis said:
45cal said:
I have seen side hammers equal scores of Inlines at Friendship in Nationals but most shooting Inlines don't notice.

They might not say so, But they notice it!!! :lol: You can bet there’s some behind closed doors head Scratching going on??! :d'oh!: :lol:

I am not sure why anyone would think that well made sidehammer would not shoot as well as a well made inline equipped the same shooter, the same equipment and loads... I would think the set trigger would/could be a huge advantage but then again with most modern inlines you can adjust the trigger to what ever you prefer...

sabotloader said:
I would think the set trigger would/could be a huge advantage but then again with most modern inlines you can adjust the trigger to what ever you prefer...

VERY TRUE! My Set triggers have RUINED me from Grabbing just any old Rifle, A lot of folks don’t realize just how good they really are, And how important a good Trigger is When Target/Bench Shooting. A 10,000 Dollar Rifle with a 5lb NON adjustable/replaceable Trigger would be a 10,000 Dollar PIECE OF GARBAGE to me! I Run my Set Triggers as light as they will possibly go and remain safe, Most of my Triggers are in the High ounces, to 1 pound. My Bix’N Andy Ball Bearing trigger in my Rem 700 .308 Hunting Rifle is Setup the Same, I am 100% Comfortable Hunting with my Trigger that light, But i shoot these things a BUNCH, I know EXACTLY what to expect.

Back