New buckskin hunting coat

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
I picked this up at rendezvous! Cost a pretty penny but I sold a shotgun to help off set the cost. It should make for an excellent hunting coat come hunting season. Also picked up a couple new shirts that actually fit really well.
62310310.jpg

64291710.jpg

Pretty cool but he should have taken off the sunglasses for the picture.

OldMtnMan said:
and the soda can FG's holding :p
Nice coat!  Goes GREAT with your pants and moccasins. ;)

Marty said:
OldMtnMan said:
and the soda can FG's holding :p
Nice coat!  Goes GREAT with your pants and moccasins. ;)
Yes, I was going to mention it but at least he was trying to hide it. :)

Lol I protected my ears when my hat wasn't on. Member falcon told me some stories about some friends having the tops of their ears lopped off due to cancer. Keep em hidden

Have had the same issues from working outside half of my working life, cancer on your ears and temple can be a serious problem getting it cared for.  :cry:

I had a very good friend who was a 100% fisherman, no hunting at all. He was the best fisherman I ever knew. He was a few years older then me and died about 8 years ago. Cancer did not take him away but in a lifetime of fishing he never wore a hat. He got cancer in his ears and all he had left were the ear lobes. I always wore a baseball type hat but now wear a fishing hat with wide brim all the way around and keep it folded down over my ears. I sure do miss that guy!!

Glenn

Those sunglasses look to me to be "period correct" and H/C as well. :rolleyes:

By the way, I wore that long coat on my hunt and it was actually warm in the cold morning air! Almost as warm as my wool capote. Surprised the heck out of me.

Grant Lorty, whom I knew when I was in college in Fairbanks in the mid 1960s, wore a beautiful moose skin coat and was never cold, even down to -30 or colder. The rest of us were in our down coats but not him!

~WH~

Yes, I wore a truckers hat all my life and i'm always outside. I had skin cancer removed from one ear and now it's coming back. I wear a wide brim hat now.

Watch your ears guys. When you're young you think nothing will happen. It does.

Me too Pete, still having issues with ears and forehead - going to the doctor next week again ....... :confused:

well guys, don't wait till your over 70 to start wearing hats, shirt, and pants!. I've had 4 bad ones taken off my face last two years, two off my back, but I knew better even back when. I never wore a shirt, hat, or shoes unless I really had to (school, church, and the Army (25 years). Paying for it now..... Nice coat. Wear it to the Western Rendz. in 2020.

Talk about off the face. I had a small brown spot on my cheek. It looked like a freckle. Before they got it all it took 75 stitches to seal it back up.

and as they can't close up a round hole, they make it oblong, like a football so it can be stitched and/or burned back together, rats ass, this getting old is not for the young!

Those sunglasses look to me to be "period correct" and H/C as well. :rolleyes:

INCORRECT Hanshi,

Compared to modern eyeglasses, antique spectacles are very small. Lens grinding technology was the limiting factor in determining the size of early spectacles. Limited technology, coupled with the size.

img1.jpg colored lenses.jpg
Colored lenses were used to help with different personal conditions.
The red lenses for example were used on those with uncontrolled mental fare-ups like Doc Holiday in his time.​

Front - Historic EyeWear Company 1835-80 Oblong, Naugatuck Valley Tarnished Brass, Rear - Original antique oblong spectacle.

Made in brass used by average person in the mid 1800's combined to give people who wore spectacles an appearance indicative of that period; a defining frame-to-face ratio.

Unlike modern eyeglasses that are considered to fit properly when they are the same width as the wearer's face, a good rule of thumb for spectacle size is approximately two-thirds the width of the face, eyes centered horizontally in the lens portion of the spectacles.

buck conner.jpg

Seriously, though; I was not aware of colored lenses being used or even existing in colonial/early republic times. Interesting!

I always thought that I knew a few hotheads (jerks) that I have run into by accident over the years
that could have used the "red lenses". :rolleyes: 🤪 🤓 :cheers:

buck conner.jpg

Back