New build plans?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That longer-barreled model in 45-70 was one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned but it was also one of the most brutal ones I've ever owned, I brought a stainless model A couple of years later and thought about having it converted but I did not it didn't shoot as good as the blue model, that blue model 45-70 shot every bullet you put in it, I used to make my friends shoot it before I would let them shoot a muzzleloader,, without a pillow it was absolutely brutal on the bench,, yes pillow!!

On that particular rifle myself I like the longer Barrel it felt better in my hands it wasn't just the phenomenal accuracy I liked it better it handled better it's been said many times, begara can make such good 45-70 barrels when they want to

That longer-barreled model in 45-70 was one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned but it was also one of the most brutal ones I've ever owned, I brought a stainless model A couple of years later and thought about having it converted but I did not it didn't shoot as good as the blue model, that blue model 45-70 shot every bullet you put in it, I used to make my friends shoot it before I would let them shoot a muzzleloader,, without a pillow it was absolutely brutal on the bench,, yes pillow!!
65gr of 4198 with a 275 gr. bullet would be brutal to me in one converted.

The only 45-70 that I've ever shot was my friends Henry Golden Boy & the bullets were 325g Hornady FTX I believe. It did shoot exceptionally well, but the recoil was not fun at all. I think I fired 5 rounds out of it & that was eeeeenough. A pillow would have been very welcome lol

What did you do to make your Mountaineer Smls? I got one never shot that I wanted to
I already have 2 sml's.One is a Knight mountaineer with a Brux 45 barrel and the other is my new Omega with Boyds t/h stock and Woodman arms 45 sml barrel.So that is a bolt action and breakopen if I can call it that.

do, but couldn't find any info on it

I am just finishing up a build I started back in May. Mark made me a .45 barrel for an Encore. I sent the frame to him to be nitrided so it all matched and had the stock hydrodipped. I received the barrel and am just waiting for the breech plug and it will be ready to go. Should come in right about 8 lbs. Super excited for it.

Sent the barrel to a guy in Ohio named Cole Myers and he put a 26''Brux barrel on it with the factory breech plug.His company was CMC until his shop burned down,but don't know if he is still in business.Then later I had bestill here in Indiana put one of his rear sealing plugs in it.Bestill use to do the Knights but think he quit doing them as well.

I also have a Knight Mountaineer 45 with the 1;20 twist 27'' barrel that has never been shot either.Been sitting in the gun cabinet for 1 1/2 years.Since I just finished building my Omega sml I am going to leave the Knight 45 alone.

Latest posts

Back