New build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shorty

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Supporting member
Reaction score
Hello all. I am not a grammer expert as you will see. First of all i want to say that my new muzzleloader build is not the cheapest way to go. I had an extra savage 110 tactical lying around, in a 6.5 creedmoor,this gun did not feed my 140 gr. Berger vld's from the clip to chamber very well. The gun did shoot excellent though, i managed to get three shot groups of a little over a .26 " @ 100yds.. I was searching for a build i could do myself. From buying bullets in the past from Precision rifle out of Canada, they advertised they had in stock, green mountain barrels for a build. After reading up on it i ordered a barrel, 24" 1 and 26" twist .50 cal., boltnose, and large rifle vari flame adapters. On another website i ordered a notched barrel nut, that fit my shank size, and wrench. After all the goodies arrived i proceded to follow the instructions and videos from precision rifle. I did not have a barrel vise, so i built one out of 2 blocks of oak., placed in my vise and dilled a 1" hole through them. I got all of my questions answered from reading on different forums. Used a pipe wrench to get the original smooth barrel nut off and threw it away. PR's web site and videos take you through all steps needed. I currently use 63 grs. Of relader 7, 300 gr. Accumax, harvester black crush rib sabot. Getting 1" groups at 100 yds.. still in load development. Figuring out moa's now.20210929_162021.jpg20211108_110205.jpg20210929_162021.jpg20211108_110205.jpg20210929_162021.jpg

Got a couple pics of your home made barrel vise? I have a SML that i would like to rebarrel some day but dont want to buy equipment that ill only use once.
Im sure i can imagine what it looks like but love to see other peoples solutions to tools as much as the actual gun build.

Grammar. :p Sorry, could not resist.

The Savage CF actions make for an easy build. Maybe not the strongest using a nut but adequate for many shooters. Im currious how much you had to shell out for that Vortex and be prepared to send it in. SMLs trash scopes often and Vortex Vipers are commonly destroyed. You can get a Sightron SIII FFP 6-24x50 for right around $700 and its tougher with better tracking. Plus has better eye relief and weighs about 7oz less.

Your load should be plenty safe in that build. Reloder7 is very sabot friendly and fairly easy to ignite. You even have room for a bit more powder if you needed it. IMO around 65gr is about max. I prefer N120 but have shot a fair amount of Re7 too. They both work fine with 300gr bullets in sabots. Max for N120 will be 60gr and that will give you more speed than 65gr on Re7. That load should still be a little under 35kpsi too but gives you 2300fps+ in a OEM MLII 24".

M.muzzy here are the pics. I used a real a 2×4 planed to 11/2"x4", 4" long, 2 pcs..clamped them in vise and drilled hole through them. They barely got the job done as they should have been thicker. They stress cracked on sides..pics show that..next time i would start with a 6"×6", and cut in half. I wrapped the barrel in a sticky cloth made for covering shelves.Screenshot_20211113-142136_Gallery.jpg20211113_142111.jpg

Gm, what can i say, your right on all accounts. The scope has worked excellent on the 6.5 cm. Shot it about 50-60 times with the .50 muzzy. On sat. Afternoon, a week ago it took a turn for the worse, would not hold zero and razor stop quit working. On mon. Am. I called vortex told them my problem, they sent me ups airfare stickers. Had scope at ups terminal at 11am. Monday. Got it back on thursday, ups truck dropped it off. Excellent turn around time of 3 days. Sighted it back in on friday, weather took a ****, need some more range time. Rifle season opens this sat., they put a rush order for me. I paid about 1,000.00 bucks, hope it holds together?? Wish i had your sightron information a couple of years ago, great to know. I also thank you for the powder knowledge, i can and will use it. Lastly it was hard to pay attention to my grammer teacher who was built like a brick **** house, left my mind to ponder other possibilities.........thankx again Shorty.

Hey Gm, checked on the sightron and it looks like the price is higher than what you thought, also no zero stop and no illumination of recticle if i read it right? Screenshot_20211113-195338_Chrome.jpg

Sightron SIII PLR- Prescision Long Range -
Illuminated, zero stop- $900 on Sightrons website right now, down from $1150.
I have 2 Sightrons, great mid price scopes. I have 2 Vortex also and haven't had a problem but they are on a .308 and a .25 PCP.

Camera Land has it for $699 in mil not MOA. Zero stop SFP is $50 less. You can get s STAC FFP MOA Iluminated with zero stop for $450ish in a 4-20x50 too.
https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...e-scopes/5eb0346f-bcd4-4f1f-93df-d6f5a8428b8a
As far as durability...they will walk all over a Viper. Even the cheaper STAC is tough. That is a great price on that STAC for what you get. You will give up some glass quality with the STAC but the rest of it is very solid.
https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...2473-013a-6334-00163ecd2826?variation=3114721

Thank you both. Next scope i buy, i will ask you guys questions first, then buy. I had no idea what quality/price ratio is out there. I guess when buying mid price scopes there are alot of options to choose from. Thanks again, and both of your avatars rock!!!

Just look up SIII reviews sometime. They are exceptional glass at that price point. Some of the best turrets and tracking of any scope that price or a bit more. SWFA SS are also and guess who makes at least some of those?......Kenko, the exact same company that owns and makes Sightrons. Only problem with SWFA SS is getting one. They are always back ordered.

My one and only complaint with Sightron is they dont offer the SII Big Sky line anymore which was more hunting oriented. I would love to have something with SIII glass quality in a 2-10 or 3-15x40ish with just a nice elevation turret. A plain duplex that just dials real well.

Last edited:
Hello all. I am not a grammer expert as you will see. First of all i want to say that my new muzzleloader build is not the cheapest way to go. I had an extra savage 110 tactical lying around, in a 6.5 creedmoor,this gun did not feed my 140 gr. Berger vld's from the clip to chamber very well. The gun did shoot excellent though, i managed to get three shot groups of a little over a .26 " @ 100yds.. I was searching for a build i could do myself. From buying bullets in the past from Precision rifle out of Canada, they advertised they had in stock, green mountain barrels for a build. After reading up on it i ordered a barrel, 24" 1 and 26" twist .50 cal., boltnose, and large rifle vari flame adapters. On another website i ordered a notched barrel nut, that fit my shank size, and wrench. After all the goodies arrived i proceded to follow the instructions and videos from precision rifle. I did not have a barrel vise, so i built one out of 2 blocks of oak., placed in my vise and dilled a 1" hole through them. I got all of my questions answered from reading on different forums. Used a pipe wrench to get the original smooth barrel nut off and threw it away. PR's web site and videos take you through all steps needed. I currently use 63 grs. Of relader 7, 300 gr. Accumax, harvester black crush rib sabot. Getting 1" groups at 100 yds.. still in load development. Figuring out moa's now.View attachment 17456View attachment 17457View attachment 17456View attachment 17457View attachment 17456
NIce set up. I have the same scope on my Paramount.

You might want to try some of the new Hornady 290 grain BoreDriver bullets with 60 grains of N120.
I would like to see someone try them in a SML but if they load too easy it could be a problem. My wild arse guess is Reloder7 would be the powder to try first since its double based. Needs less pressure for a good burn. N120 will peak a bit faster IF its tight enough and that does have a possible benefit of quicker obturation.

Since this is uncharted territory i would try to match hot BH209 speeds without a huge pressure increase. You can probably get there with 60gr of Reloder7. Just not sure how much pressure that "skirt" is gunna handle or what peak you are actually gunna make sabotless. If Hornady made them to be able to handle Paramount Pro 50 and RemUML type loads then its quite possible you can work up a SML load for them.

Last edited:
Shot the build an hour ago. 64.5 grs. Reloader 7, 300 gr. Pittman accumax bullets, harvester black crush rib sabot, large rifle vari flame adapter with a Federal gold metal match large rifle primer. They load hard, .452 bullet, wish they made a .451 bullet or a thinner pedal sabot. Used a friends chronograph, 3 shots averaged 1912 fps., deviation about 27fps. Seems very slow after talking to people on this site.

Latest posts

Back