New crossbow PURCHASED!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
RECENTLY I purchased a new crossbow. I was VERY unfamiliar with crossbows and virtually knew next to nothing about them. I headed to the internet of course! This is ONE instance where I WASN'T steered in the wrong direction. Practically everywhere two brands were recommended, Ten Point and Excalibur. I picked Excalibur because of its lower price AND it's NOT a compound but is a recurve. The crossbow I bought is an Excalibur Phoenix. I also bought an Excalibur Vari-Zone scope, twelve GoldTip Laser 2 graphite/carbon bolts and various target points/broadheads.

The Excalibur Phoenix required some assembly all of which was pretty straightforward. Stringing the bow required a little finesse but I did it without much too much trouble. Installation of the scope/mounts was also very simple. Overall, getting the bow ready for some target work was very simple.

I have now shot this crossbow a good bit. Cocking the Phoenix is no problem with the Excalibur cocking aid. So much easier than expected consider its 175lb draw weight. In fact I wouldn't mind if I had purchased the 200lb Exocet. It didn't take much to the the Phoenix sighted in with the scope. The Vari-Zone scopes power ring has FPS numbers on it. Match the FPS to your bow and the hash marks on the reticle match up to zeros at 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50yds. And MAN is this thing ACCURATE! Hitting your target at 20, 30, and even 40 yards is nothing. Here is a group I shot at FORTY YARDS!(no kidding!):

2005huntingpics%20012.jpg

I wouldn't believe that group if I hadn't done it!

This whole crossbow experience has been MUCH easier than I had ever thought. This was a much, MUCH better experience than my first experience with muzzleloading sad to say!

2006huntingpics%20009.jpg

Nice shooting Chuck! :D Sounds like you have a good one!

Big6x6
can you legally hunt deer in Alabama with a crossbow if you are not handicapped? In Illinois you have to qualify as a handicapped person to receive a permit to legally hunt deer wih a crossbow. Just wondering. :?:
Pocampo

Big6x6
can you legally hunt deer in Alabama with a crossbow if you are not handicapped?

This year is the first year ever. Crossbow whitetail season runs concurrently with bow season which starts Oct 15th and ends Jan 31st.

big6x6 said:
This year is the first year ever. Crossbow whitetail season runs concurrently with bow season which starts Oct 15th and ends Jan 31st.

It's the first time in PA this year as well. BUT, only in certain counties. I might try one of those out in the near future as well.

I wonder how many states currently allow the use of crossbows during archery deer season? That is a most impressive 40yd group! I would say they were all "He'd Be Dinner Shots".
Pocampo

I would say they were all "He'd Be Dinner Shots".

The ONLY problem with a crossbow, and it REALLY is one, is they are somewhat LOUD. A good bit louder than my Matthews compound. This Excalibur is certainly 40yds accurate BUT if a quiet morning I can just see a deer jumping the string at that distance. And the Excalibur recurve isn't as noisy as most of the other compound crossbows.

big6x6,
a gun is loud too, but most deer never hear it. ha, ha!! I realize their is a huge difference in the speed of a gun vs crossbow, but if your crossbow is very fast it seems it would help compensate for this. I have a handicapped neighbor that uses a crossbow and it too is noisy but he has taken deer with it out @ 40 yds without a problem as long as they are at ease and not on FULL alert. I think you will be OK.

The only drawback I can see with a crossbow is that they are awkward to carry, heavy and harder to get in and out of a stand.

Most guys are using studs and quick release swivels to fasten nylon carring straps to them so that they can carry on their back and remove straps once on stand. This seems to eliminate the carrying and physical wt. problem.

Good Luck!
Pocampo

I have a crossbow (ten point) and they are accurate as Chuck says.
Another drawback is when you are in a tree the bow being horizontal does not let you get as close to the tree as the string hits it. You have to practice your shooting lane when you first get in the tree so you have clearance. I hope I am clear on this. This is facing the tree.
I never had a deer jump the string even though they are very loud.
Redclub

Thats sure is a nice setup you have there

Here in Indiana they are legal any season for handicap hunters, and late archery for everyone else. I have a Horton that is probably around 10 years old. It is nothing fancy, but it shoots well. Purchased it in a pawn shop used for a handicap hunter that I sometimes hunt with. I gave $100 for it in 2001. I have never actualy hunted with it myself, but the handicap hunter I purchased it for has taken 2 deer with it. I might take it out late archery this year, and definatly am going to have a handicap permit so I can use it anytime before next year. I'm more after the handicap permit so I can legaly care a weapon on the special hunts that I attend with handicap hunters, but being able to legaly use my cross bow any season is going to be another plus. Personaly I do not feal that I am handicap, but I do qualify because I am "LEGALY blind". I see well enough to get by, and when I can no longer see well enough to get by I'll have to do something about it,....

Chuck, nice crossbow. If I was to purchase one the Excaliber model is the one I would also choose. I like the idea of being able to able to easliy remove the string and release the tension on the limbs when you pack it away after the season.

Ed

Rifleman said:
HTR is that why you date such ugly girls? :lol: :shock:

The ugly ones are the best ones to date. That way you know that none of your friends are going to try to take them away from you like they do the ones that are good looking.

HighTechRedneck said:
Rifleman said:
HTR is that why you date such ugly girls? :lol: :shock:

The ugly ones are the best ones to date. That way you know that none of your friends are going to try to take them away from you like they do the ones that are good looking.

Like tha song says:

'If you want to be happy and live a good life, never make a pretty woman your wife'.

'If you want to be happy and live a good life, never make a pretty woman your wife'.

I remember that song :D . That was a long time ago. :shock: I must be getting older :(

RAF said:

I remember that song :D . That was a long time ago. :shock: I must be getting older :(

Aren't we all :(

COOOOL!

Chuck,

Glad you got the Excalibur! I told ya they were nice, everyone around here raves about them! Hell on arrows with groups like that tho! :wink:

They are a bit wide tho... and you will quickly come to grips with that in your tree stand.

Now go out and get some blood on it!

JJ

Nice Crossbow Chuck. Looks like it shoots great.

I shoot a Parker Magnum. I went to a crossbow after having a stroke and loosing much of my strength on my left side. Chuck mine shoots 342fps. and I've shot deer from 20yds to 45yds being the longest shot. I was like you,thinking that the deer would jump the srting,but it hasen't happened so far. I'm not sure if the speed comes into play,or not. 40yds being 120ft @342fps. theres not much time to react to the noise,about .353 seconds, thats not much time. I did notice on the long shot that the bolt hit a little high. Not sure if it was me,or the deer droping down at the shot. Ron

My dad and I both have Excaliburs. and he also has a Barnett. he had a lot of problems with the Barnett broke several cables, of course the bow had to go to a bow shop with a press to change the cables.

The first time the cable broke , one of the limbs cracked also. had to call Barnett and they sent a replacement.
Then we had trouble with the scope moving, the scope rail was made of hard plastic so the rings would eat into the rail and get loose. called them and they sent a new rail made of alum. since then we havent had any problems with it.

The Excaliburs are great, very accurate and easy to change the string. no cables no cams etc. buy an extra string and you can change it yourself.

The only drawback is the width of the limbs when it is not cocked. a little more awkward to carry or put in a vehicle.

Latest posts

Back