New crossbow PURCHASED!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW, I can say I'm impressed! Good grouping there. That should definitely serve it's purpose in the field.

I happened to see an episode of "Wanted: Ted or Alive". It's a Ted Nugent "reality" show (using the term very loosely!), anyhoo, they had a bunch of people who had never shot cross bows shooting at balloons tied onto full size targets that looked like Ted. I was impressed at how well these newbies were able to shoot. Not being very familiar with crossbows, I didn't recognize the make/model of what they were shooting. Did anybody else see this episode and know what it was?

Iowa does not allow crossbows unless one has a medically certified handicap that would prevent them from drawing a bow.

Hey Chuck,

I do not own a crossbow or shoot one, not legal in Illinois unless handicapped.

The only advise I can give is one of safety. I have a handicapped friend who shot off the tip of his thumb.

He placed hand around the forearm with his thumb up high enough to be a target when the string and you know rest of the story.

Just don't want 6x6 to become 5x4

Nobody around here (greater Cinti. area ) sells the excalibur. The distributor I deal with sells horton and Barnett., and maybe jennings. I have a horton hunter xs now. Horton seems to be dependable and all , even though they have the wheels and cables. The hunter xs has a 200 lb. pull and it is supposed to shoot at 320fps. Thing I noticed about the crossbows..especially the higher pound models is you have to hold it firmly when you squeeze off the trigger..just like a spring piston air rifle.
If you dont..your groups might not be consistent.The bow will "jump" as you shoot -actually before the arrow leaves the track.

Vince
s.w. Ohio

Hunt 4 Bucks said:
Hey Chuck,

I do not own a crossbow or shoot one, not legal in Illinois unless handicapped.

Crossbow is allowed in Ohio during the entire archery season. and firearms season too, if you like. The game warden told me I could thank the insurance companies for that. They lobby for liberal deer harvest. They dont like paying the auto damage claims.

Vince
s.w.Ohio

In Michigan the law says crossbows are legal only for the "physically challenged". Hey - I've been that way all my life . . . and it's getting worse! :lol:
Just a note of interest: In the Feb/Mar issue of Peterson's Hunting, there was a brief article about the fact that the Pope & Young Club does not recognize the crossbow as a bow, but "more resembles a gun".
My thought is that they need to look at 1) the type of projectile and 2) the manner of propulsion, rather than the physical appearance when determining whether a weapon is a bow or a gun.
Just my 2c worth - but I e-mailed it to them - now they're 2c richer :D
Oh - Nice BOW, and nice shooting Chuck!

IM jaybe :)

Latest posts

Back