New CVA Wolf V2 where to start?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just picked up a CVA Wolf V2, got mine locally but this is the same combo-

https://muzzle-loaders.com/collecti...ucts/cva-wolf-v2-camo-scope-package-pr2118smz
Have owned inline's before, years ago so am familiar with the basics, looking for direction re powder/pellet/sabot combinations. Main goal is whitetails on mixed terrain, timber and open fields.

All rifles are different but would appreciate any loads people have had success with.

Happen to have a few hundred 45 cal XTPs on hand so planning to start with them.

Can't find Harvester sabots in stock- are TC sabots as accurate?

Have loose 777 and pellets, open to IMR whitehots etc.

Basically I have some components to start with but if it makes more sense to go with Powerbelts or whatever am 100% open to changing gears.

Thanks, Matt.

I can't offer you advice about loads for that particular rifle but I would suggest you remount the scope making sure all surfaces are clean and free of oils and all screws are torqued to spec or at least nicely snug. Some blue LocTite on the screws would be a good idea.

X2 on that scope advice.
If your XTPs are 240-250grn then i would start at 90 gr loose T7 and shoot groups of 5 increasing by 5gr for next group. Dampswab/dryswab between shots. Bet you find a good load before 120gr. If youve got 300XTPs then start at 80gr of T7.
Or drop in 2 pellets and see how it does.

Check Muzzle-Loaders.com
They have some Harvester sabots in stock.
As mentioned, loose powder would be my own choice to use.
Around 80 grains by volume, working up a bit at a time.

You can order sabots directly from Harvester. They’ve alway shipped promptly when I’ve used them. I’d get the Crush Ribs I shoot the 240 grain XTP’s over 70 weighed grains of BH209.

Every gun is a smidge different so I'd order the sabots but get both the smooth and the crush ribs on the off chance that one works better than the other. Once you settle on a load with whichever sabot you can usually find someone here to take the rest of the others off your hands. A lot of people simply donate broken packages of sabots here that they are not going to use, OR you can just hold onto them to use with different bullets if you so choose. Even within, say, .451 bullets of various manufacture you can run into size issues between one make and another so having both the smooth and crush rib styles of sabots keeps you covered while you're searching thru bullets. Sabots are about the least expensive of the components today.

Have sabots ordered and am gathering other essentials. Got to looking at that Konus scope and it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, plus the glass is less than stellar so ordered a Vortex with a BDC. Won't get out to start testing this weekend but hopefully next.

There shouldn't be any plastic in your barrel unless you're loading so hot that you're blowing sabots,, I've loaded some smokeless loads so hot that I blew a sabot, still no plastic residue in the barrel,,, stick with mild to medium loads clean your barrel like you normally would and you'll be fine

I just ordered one to set up as a back up rifle. I've owned multiple inlines before, and currently I hunt with an Accura MR.

Here's my plan:

I ordered the version with fiber optic sights. I have no illusions the sights as it ships would be my first choice for hunting at longer, typical ML ranges, but I like the idea of having iron sights as an "express sight" option.

I will be mounting an EGW CVA picatinny rail, and I'll probably use one of my current 1-6 or 2-7 scopes on it at first.

Eventually I'll decide on a dedicated scope.

But if it came with a CVA scope mount, the first thing I'd do is remove the mount, clean/degrease the fasteners and holes then reinstall with LocTite and a torque wrench.

FWIW got out to the range the other day.

777 pellets, cheap 209s, leftover 45 xtps shot right at 2" @100 for 5.

Sighting in took 4 shots, partially my fault for a stupid turret mistake.
My brother has the Wolf and it likes 100grn Pyrodex Rs with Hornady xtp 240s!

X2 on that scope advice.
If your XTPs are 240-250grn then i would start at 90 gr loose T7 and shoot groups of 5 increasing by 5gr for next group. Dampswab/dryswab between shots. Bet you find a good load before 120gr. If youve got 300XTPs then start at 80gr of T7.
Or drop in 2 pellets and see how it does.
MM is right on with his post great starting point. I started with the 240 grn xtp in my wolf and it ate them like candy and took my first In-line deer with that load. Med sized Doe. DRT when I touched it off. Good luck with your new rifle

290 gr Barnes T-EZ bullets and 80 - 100 gr of Pyrodex RS should get your Wold shooting great groups. And if you want to go a more economical route try a 300 gr Hornady .452" XTP and Harvester Black crush rib sabot. A good accurate bullet for normal hunting ranges and a proven deer getter.

I just received a Wolf v2 with open fiber-optic sights. Where can you get the screws for the scope mount and what size are they? Sure appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back