New Double Gun Birder from AL

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings!

Longtime shotgunner who joined the Blackpowder game when my colleague and mentee gave me a percussion 20 gauge S x S as a retirement gift. We are both retired “Horse Docs” and are planning to chase “Rabid Gamebirds” in retirement. Been a reloader for 50 years.. Blackpowder is a new challenge!

Current dilemma is the lack of No. 11 Percussion Caps… I have several thousand CCI, Winchester 209 primers in the vault. Is it possible to convert a percussion cap S x S to 209 primer ignition?

Thanks for any words of wisdom & experience!

Cheers!

Dr. Jim

Welcome from NW Alabama. I'm in the Florence area. Not sure about conversion, but I make my #10s and #11s with a couple of kits I got from 22LRReloader.com.

Welcome to the addiction!

Welcome from NW Alabama. I'm in the Florence area. Not sure about conversion, but I make my #10s and #11s with a couple of kits I got from 22LRReloader.com.

Welcome to the addiction!
Greetings from LA….
I picked up one of those kits and have been “punching” my own Percussion caps… Maybe it’s my inexperience, but haven’t been happy with the consistency of the loads I have checked. Longtime competitive shotgunner, PhD researcher so am pretty analytical (anal retentive) about my loads powder & shot charges are weighed, wads & seating pressures consistent, but velocities on chronograph are inconsistent. Hand poured caps are the weak variable…

Greetings from LA….
I picked up one of those kits and have been “punching” my own Percussion caps… Maybe it’s my inexperience, but haven’t been happy with the consistency of the loads I have checked. Longtime competitive shotgunner, PhD researcher so am pretty analytical (anal retentive) about my loads powder & shot charges are weighed, wads & seating pressures consistent, but velocities on chronograph are inconsistent. Hand poured caps are the weak variable…
I agree on inconsistencies. I would never consider using them for competition. I don't even use them for hunting. It's more for plinking and playing around. I may have 1 bad out of 100. But still too many variables in other areas.

Back