New Encore gets the job done

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omega

Reaction score
Oats up to my neck, can see the bear only when they rear up and then you have seconds to chose by head size alone.... We filmed 12 bear going into the field and I was positioned on the side of the field between the crop and the woods on their escape route. Who says you can't reload a ML fast?

Man I love my job!

Bear%20in%20oats%202.jpg

Bear%20in%20oats.jpg

Awesome bear Omega, Congrats!!! How's about some more details??? Load, bulle,t shot placement, etc... I'd like to hear about everything including the death groan. Big ones like that don't generally let out a death groan. That sure is a nice bear... Thanks for sharing it with us!

Jim

DeerNut said:
Wow, nice bear....Would he be considered a "Blue" phase?

No, that is dew on his coat from laying in the crop over night.

Yeah, I forgot to tell you the other day...REALLY nice bear! Did you use 3 Pyrodex pellets and a 250gr Shockwave?

VENISONEATR said:
Awesome bear Omega, Congrats!!! How's about some more details??? Load, bulle,t shot placement, etc... I'd like to hear about everything including the death groan. Big ones like that don't generally let out a death groan. That sure is a nice bear... Thanks for sharing it with us!

Jim

I'm just home once again and trying to play catch up.
There were at least a dozen bear in the field and we worked our way along the bush edge waiting for a bear to hear us and stand up. I had very little time once one popped up to decide to shoot or not. A cow elk call calmed those that I turned down. Several stood up at 2 and 300 yards as they would hear other bear and check them out. 2 of these were real brutes but I'm not about to attempt an off hand throat/chest shot at those ranges.
This fellow popped up with 2 others at the same time and I later ranged my camera man from the kill at 93 yards. I took him (bear not camera man!) at the junction of the neck and chest and got a perfect pass through. I used 150 grains of pyro pellets and a 250 SST and the thump was horrific and can be heard on camera. I know you guys are bored to death about this load but it shoots so well in my TC's and just keeps on killing everything I shoot with it.
Yes this guy moaned, thank God! It is bad enough to make that trek in oats up to your neck worried about getting plowed into by fleeing bear but approaching a wounded one is something you think about twice. Ok, so I quit thinking twice about this stuff many moons ago but that probably isn't a sign of intelligence! My camera man took some convincing though.
I've shot more bear than I care to admit and I'll bet 80% moan and I haven't noticed it being related to size or anything else.

Atleast you dumped the Omega for awhile. :) What sabot are you using in that load? I was shooting the 250grn ShockWaves the other day with 777. I got no good results at all. The 200grn ShockWaves are awesome shooting bullets for me. In a variety of guns as well. Congratulations on another fine harvest. How come the wife wasnt involved on this one? :nono:

Grouse said:
Atleast you dumped the Omega for awhile. :) What sabot are you using in that load? I was shooting the 250grn ShockWaves the other day with 777. I got no good results at all. The 200grn ShockWaves are awesome shooting bullets for me. In a variety of guns as well. Congratulations on another fine harvest. How come the wife wasnt involved on this one? :nono:

T7 has never worked for me in anything, I gave up using it. I use what ever sabot comes with the bullets, none of my guns, and there are a few, are fussy shooters.
Sandi couldn't come because of work commitments. I told it was her own fault for having a job! :wink:

Rich, congrats on that beautiful bear!!!! Those Hornady 250 SST's have sure served you well.

You must be one of your Taxidermists best friends! :lol:

Loggy said:
Rich, congrats on that beautiful bear!!!! Those Hornady 250 SST's have sure served you well.

You must be one of your Taxidermists best friends! :lol:

Thanks Loggy. Yes when I say I have a bear rug I really mean wall to wall ....

Back