New field ram rod

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I picked up a solid aluminum range rod that was threaded for one of my bullet seaters the other day and today did some measuring and clipping to make it fit the gun flush to the end of the barrel with the seater in place. This is on a V2 Accura. One thing I have always disliked about the gun, the only thing in fact, is that the ramrod that comes with it has that fancy knob on the end. That damned thing snags on every little twig and stick that comes in contact with it and once such an incident puled the rod entirely out without my noticing it....that was an interesting back tracking episode. Now I feel I can walk without having to babysit that ram rod all the time.

Finished with the cutting and beveling the cut end I put a 240 grain XTP in a sabot and loaded it backwards, hollow point and sabot fingers first, all the way to the plug. Then poured in a powder charge. Next I dropped the rod down to the load until the jag made contact and scored the rod at barrel level to index it. I poured the powder into a pie tin then set the barrel on the plate and pushed the bullet back out the muzzle to getit and any remaining powder out. I put the powder back into a range tube and the bullet back in the box. The sabot I'll use at the range.

I've got three weeks tomorrow until our season begins and I'm starting to get the antsy feeling already. I had thirty some odd empty charge tubes after my last range session, some 77 grains weighed and some 63 grains weighed. After messing with the rod I weighed and filled tubes. I hope I'm not the only one that gets stir crazy at this time of year. And it happens every year. I try to have things to do to get ready but for some reason this year I have everything checked off the list already after today. Maybe I'll go rent a jackhammer and pour a new garage approach to help get rid of this excess energy..

Back