New from New England

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bow_hunter44

Reaction score
Good day!

Just joined up. I haven't done much muzzleloading in a while, mostly archery these days. But I have a Knight MK-85....

Stay safe and healthy!

Welcome from Oklahoma, originally from Connecticut.

We are currently in Connecticut (north central). Have any suggestions about finding deer here? They (the deer) seem to have totally different habits than the deer out west.....

Welcome from Massachusetts.

Do you have a game camera? A lot of deer are nocturnal at present so seeing them on camera is a start.

I do have a game camera. I've gotten a few deer on camera, but not enough to write home to mother about. We live in a rural area, several farms around. While driving back and forth to work for years I saw deer in a field (scanning the edges of fields during prime time) not even a handful of times. My 'data' is barely able to verify that deer even exist here in Connecticut!

We are currently in Connecticut (north central). Have any suggestions about finding deer here? They (the deer) seem to have totally different habits than the deer out west.....
On June 1st, check the ctdeep/hunting website.
You can get an application for the Centennial State Forest bow hunting. It's managed by the Aquarion Water company. Permits are free and first come first served.
They have several blocks of property in Shelton and Monroe, Ct. Lots of deer down in the southwestern part of the state.
If you live up around New Hartford or the Canton area, you'll see more black bears than deer.
Naugatuck State Forest has some good deer hunting. Rugged terrain that not many hunters want to deal with but that's where the deer are.
I've hunted nearly every part of Connecticut. I'd be happy to help you out anytime.

On June 1st, check the ctdeep/hunting website.
You can get an application for the Centennial State Forest bow hunting. It's managed by the Aquarion Water company. Permits are free and first come first served.
They have several blocks of property in Shelton and Monroe, Ct. Lots of deer down in the southwestern part of the state.
If you live up around New Hartford or the Canton area, you'll see more black bears than deer.
Naugatuck State Forest has some good deer hunting. Rugged terrain that not many hunters want to deal with but that's where the deer are.
I've hunted nearly every part of Connecticut. I'd be happy to help you out anytime.

Thanks!! I live right next to the 'notch' on the Mass border (North Granby). I've seen more bears on our yard (9 acres) than deer. I'd certainly be interested in hearing about your experience hunting in the north east. I'm much more confident in the elk woods out west. In the whitetail woods out here, I o_O....

Thanks!! I live right next to the 'notch' on the Mass border (North Granby). I've seen more bears on our yard (9 acres) than deer. I'd certainly be interested in hearing about your experience hunting in the north east. I'm much more confident in the elk woods out west. In the whitetail woods out here, I o_O....
I just finished my 2nd deer season out here in Oklahoma. Saw a lot of deer and some big racker bucks.
There are some huge bucks in Connecticut. My biggest dressed out at 230 pounds.
Right there near your home is Tunxis State Forest. It holds some giant deer but it's big woods. Gotta scout and scout some more.

I just finished my 2nd deer season out here in Oklahoma. Saw a lot of deer and some big racker bucks.
There are some huge bucks in Connecticut. My biggest dressed out at 230 pounds.
Right there near your home is Tunxis State Forest. It holds some giant deer but it's big woods. Gotta scout and scout some more.

I'm willing to scout. I just don't know where to start! Hell, I can't even find their tracks with all those leaves. 230 lbs dressed weight is one big deer! Truth be told, we are moving to Canada this spring. But I understand the deer there (Ottawa area) are very similar to the deer here. My hypothesis is that experience here would translate directly there...

I'm willing to scout. I just don't know where to start! Hell, I can't even find their tracks with all those leaves. 230 lbs dressed weight is one big deer! Truth be told, we are moving to Canada this spring. But I understand the deer there (Ottawa area) are very similar to the deer here. My hypothesis is that experience here would translate directly there...
It does take a keen eye to find deer sign in New England woods.
Unless you come across an old beat down trail that's been used for generations.
Best time to scout is in the winter. You can see the land better. It's not so hard then to figure out how the deer use it.
I've hunted northern Maine and kinda think Canada is similar.
Big woods. Big bucks.
Best of luck to you.

It does take a keen eye to find deer sign in New England woods.
Unless you come across an old beat down trail that's been used for generations.
Best time to scout is in the winter. You can see the land better. It's not so hard then to figure out how the deer use it.
I've hunted northern Maine and kinda think Canada is similar.
Big woods. Big bucks.
Best of luck to you.

Thanks. I'll take some luck! I've done some winter scouting. Cut very little sign in hunt-able (public) areas. Do deer out here stay in the same area year around?

Thanks. I'll take some luck! I've done some winter scouting. Cut very little sign in hunt-able (public) areas. Do deer out here stay in the same area year around?
Yes, pretty much so. Sometimes in winter they will yard up in swampy areas. From what my hunting buddies back there tell me, not many acorns this year so the deer will be near any available food sources.

Welcome! Born and raised here in Massachusetts.
Just finished up my first season of deer hunting on New Year's Eve. I got my first deer, a doe, during the muzzleloader season. 6 days before Christmas.
I saw a nice 6 point buck, chasing a doe in the yard 3 days before deer season started. Once the season started, I didn't see any buck at all. But I saw dozens and dozens of doe and fawn. The season starts late here. At the very end the rut. So buck are a little harder to locate for me.

Attachments

• 20201127_070027.jpg
    20201127_070027.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 6
Welcome! Born and raised here in Massachusetts.
Just finished up my first season of deer hunting on New Year's Eve. I got my first deer, a doe, during the muzzleloader season. 6 days before Christmas.
I saw a nice 6 point buck, chasing a doe in the yard 3 days before deer season started. Once the season started, I didn't see any buck at all. But I saw dozens and dozens of doe and fawn. The season starts late here. At the very end the rut. So buck are a little harder to locate for me.

Personally, I would consider seeing dozens and dozens of deer of any variety of glowing success!

Latest posts

Back