NEW GREEN MOUNTAIN BARREL

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmlarsen22

Reaction score
Went to the range with my new Green Mountain barrel that I purchased from a member of this forum. It's a 50 cal drop-in for TC Hawken.  Wow!!! What a shooter. I put the barrel in a Renegade stock and shot round ball from 50 yds. with 75 and 90 gr. of Triple 7.
y6Ac3jt.jpg

The balls were Hornady .490 and the patches measure about .018. I'm new to this muzzleloading stuff and still learning.

Nice to see that barrel is shooting good for you. Those GMB are shooters for sure. I still have one in a 58 cal and it is very accurate. Al

Glad you're happy with the barrel. Were you shooting offhand or from a bench?

I would play around with the powder load. The barrel is capable of tighter groups unless you were shooting offhand.

No, shooting from a rest.
I will try Goex next and see what that does. I'm just getting started with this.

Good man. We love real black powder here. It's dirty and smelly, but so was my old girl friend.

Bear Claw said:
Good man. We love real black powder here. It's dirty and smelly, but so was my old girl friend.

Pete, she said the same thing about you brother ......  :lol!:

Picked up another GM barrel for my Hawken. It was NIB and dates back to the 90's. It's a 50 cal with 1:28 twist. I'll be shooting conicals with that. Hope to make it my elk rifle for the fall.

I getting to where I need another jug of BP.  I've read that Swiss might be a better choice than Goex. Is there a difference?

Richard
Swiss will give you more velocity and it burns alot cleaner. Its also more expensive. Some say its not worth it. Old Enysford is suppose to be Goex answer for Swiss. Ive never shot the 2 over a Chrony to compare them. I have however shot Goex, Elephant, and Swiss. I continue to use swiss because at one time I shot alot of Black Powder Cartridge. It was the real deal for that game. Swiss granulation's are also different. There 3f is finer than the Goex. Swiss 1 1/2F is equivalent to goex 2f. As far as it being better only you can decide. Because some are gonna say its not worth the extra cash and some say it is. JMHO...... Al

Back