New guy Questio

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coaster5001

Reaction score
I am new to your site and new to Muzzleloaders. I was watching your videos and saw a device that slides onto a ram rod and is used to make sure a charge is seated at the right depth. It looks like once that depth is established it is tightened down. What is it called and where do I get one?

lighthorseman said:
Welcome coaster500................is this it?
https://squareup.com/store/muzzleloadersprecisionpacker

:D
Thank you... but that is not what I am looking for. The tool I am talking about slides on the ramrod and makes sure your bullet or sabot is not sitting on a crust ring and is seated the same "depth" every time.

I probably don't have the correct words for this and I apologize for that.

No worries......I'm living in the 18th century anyway........so I have no idea the device you're talking about anyway......but I ran across the "Precision Packer" earlier and I thought that was what you were talking about. 8)

How we "old timers" avoid any issues of ball seating is to make a mark on the ram rod and make sure it comes to that same place each load......but like I inferred, it's a bit primitive! :thumbs up:

You're looking for the Knight Ultimate Range Rod. Sadly they are no longer being made at this time. There is another company that most likely will be putting it back onto the market once they figure their stuff out.

Welcome to the group.
Something that you can do is, put a mark on your ram rod that you use to seat the bullet and powder, after you have cleaned it and are loading it for the first time on a clean barrel that does not have a crust ring. The mark on the ram rod will let you know if the bullet and powder is seated all the way down, or if you might have doubled loaded it by mistake. 
It is something that you should check all the time when loading your gun.

Dave

Thank you...  I am marking the rod with tape like I saw in another one of your videos but that devise looked slick and the adjustment for trying different loads looked great.

Yes, the tape is the best way to go about it until you find the perfect load. After that, make a more permanent mark on the ram rod. Never scratch into a ramrod until the right load has been found!

I have two marks on my ramrod and two on my "wiping stick" which I use to load with while target shooting. One mark on each is to show when the gun is empty. The other on each gun is my normal shooting load. Since hunting is my primary use of all my guns, my "hunting load" is my normal load. For my smooth rifle it is 100gr ffg. For my purposes, there's no reason to have various loads whether hunting or target practice.

Are you sure what you seen may be a bore guide...it slides along the ram rod also..but is used to keep ram rod from rubbing on the barrel and also helps keep bullet centered while loading..it is cone shape...you slide it to the bottom of the ram rod before loading...insert the taper end into the muzzle the push ram rod down to load and it slides thru the bore guide...but using tape to mark load saftly seated is best way...

kg900080_zpsltzn69gm.jpg

Back