New guy with a Blackhorn 209 question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree to popping off two or three primers first. I recently switched to CCI primers (hotter) and have lots of former primers to use for popping off.

WPrather said:
So 120grs is the max load for 777 loose powder?

Knight_2014_Load_Chart.jpg

This is a page from my 2014 Knight DISC Extreme...

From what I have been able to find there is 42.5grs of 777 loose powder in a 50gr pellet. So 127.5 of loose 777 would be the same as 150grs of Pyrodex.

I also read somewhere that Gregg Ritz of Tc was shooting 125grs of loose 777 and a 250gr shockwave out of his personal Prohunter. But now it says he switched to Blackhorn 209 because it was easier to clean.

I need to pick up the stuff I need for loose powder here in a couple weeks and try it I guess. I need to watch Wal-Mart they have Blackhorn 209 and loose 777 both on the shelf and it will be going on clearance anytime.

Have you ever noticed one day you could kiss your muzzeloader and the next day you could throw it?

Last week when I sighted my Tc Prohunter in i rand 1 cleaning patch down the barrel and 1 dry patch down the barrel. 3 shot group was 2in probably. I went back to the range today to check it again because are season opens Saturday. The first shot on a clean barrel straight thru the dot at 100yds. So I thought I would try something different. I ran 2 cleaning patches and 2 dry patches. The last dry patch was just a little grey so barrel clean again. Shot 2 more shots like that on a clean barrel and had all 3 shots in a inch or less. Tried the 4th and 5th shot without cleaning the gun at all to see what it would do on a follow up shot. They where 1in high and 2in right about a 1/2in apart. This gun really really likes a clean barrel. The load was still 3 777 pellets and a 250gr Hornady SST.

WPrather said:
Have you ever noticed one day you could kiss your muzzeloader and the next day you could throw it?

Last week when I sighted my Tc Prohunter in i rand 1 cleaning patch down the barrel and 1 dry patch down the barrel. 3 shot group was 2in probably. I went back to the range today to check it again because are season opens Saturday. The first shot on a clean barrel straight thru the dot at 100yds. So I thought I would try something different. I ran 2 cleaning patches and 2 dry patches. The last dry patch was just a little grey so barrel clean again. Shot 2 more shots like that on a clean barrel and had all 3 shots in a inch or less. Tried the 4th and 5th shot without cleaning the gun at all to see what it would do on a follow up shot. They where 1in high and 2in right about a 1/2in apart. This gun really really likes a clean barrel. The load was still 3 777 pellets and a 250gr Hornady SST.

Can't complain about a group like that. They'll be just as dead using 777 as BH :lol:

I prefer BH because of the cleaning, but I do use Pyro in a number of my rifles still that aren't BH compatible.

I tried blackhorn for the first time and fired 3 cci mag primers and fired the first 3 shots and got 2'' groups so I decided to adjust the crosshairs to shoot right at the bull and #4 hit the bull, #5 hit #4 and #6 hit those two. 3 shots touching at 100yards after 3 primers and 3 shots got me the next 3 touching. This was with a cva optima v2 thumbhole.

As far as powder carrying goes I weighed all mine at 70gr by weight on a scale and filled empty pill bottles up with powder and carry them. The lids stay tight and they are compact enough to put in a pocket. I checked the U view against the scale and its tricky but you can get it pretty close.

Back