New member and rebarrel MK85

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbaed

Reaction score
This is my first post but a long time lurker. Not new to muzzleloading and currently own a T/C Hawken .54 that I built from a kit, a Knight MK85 in .54 and a Savage ML-II. I am wanting a .32 in a bad way and I know there are several on the market but here is my question to the forum.

Is it possible to rebarrel the MK85 to a .32 bore? The reason I ask is because of the .32 that Green Mountain currently has for sale. I would like to have it but $700 is alot to ask and I am not a fan of the Disc rifles. I would rather use #11 caps over the Disc. I have talked to Knight and I was informed by them that this rifle, that I bought new, has the barrel screwed into the reciever. If that is the case is it just a matter of screwing in a new .32 barrel and use the same breechplug? Does anyone know if this can be done, and if so, a gunsmith who can or will tackle the project? If this is a bad idea I would like to hear that as well.

Another option is the H&R shotgun. I have one of those and I e-mailed SMI about one of their conversions and they stated they would have to get back with me.

What I am wanting is a modern .32 on an action that I already own and for as little cost as possible (that's about an ignorant statement if there ever was one :wink: ). I know there is Pedersoli, Traditions and several small outfits out there, but my eyes are getting to the point where they are starting to effect my sight picture, hence the more modern firearm for scope use and easier cleanup.

Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated and definitely be considered.

Bubba Ed

You can get a .32 barrel for your Hawken. It's probably the cheapest option. Just have a gunsmith put a scope base on it if you are set on a scoped gun.

Latest posts

Back